What's in your bag?

Dr Evil.

Sitting mat, notepad, binoculars, gardening gloves, first aid kit, multi tool, torch, headtorch, snacks, loo paper, wipes, spare batteries for all torches and gps, back up battery for the iphone, dog whistle for emergencies, trackables, purse, waterproof jacket.... think thats everything... oh tweezers are always in too

Edited by golfchick

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Geocaching and i was wondering, what do you take with you on a day out geocaching?

Many Thanks

PaulSAS

my bag contains

swaps

variety of pens (I am always leaving them in caches by mistake)

GPS and spare batteries

note book with all the days caches written in

phone

camera

drink

shewee

spare logs

antibacterial hand gel - great for hands and nettle stings

I don't do long hikes as have a small cacher with me - with his own bag of course ;-)

We take all the general stuff.

We also take a knitting needle, which is great for poking here and there.

And we use 2 bags for trackables. One pink and one blue. All go into the Pink, and they come out of the blue.

In the car boot is my climbing gear...50 metre rope, harness, and all the things to get up and down. Sometimes we have the inflatable canoe in there too.

All of the above, plus I usually carry a couple of 35mm film cans, a small lock and lock container - all marked up and spare logs just in case I find a broken or badly muggled cache (not forgetting to inform the owner when I get back home) I "found" a box of ARG**S pencils when they were converting to those small pens - still got a few left - they fit into most small containers, lots of small sealable bags and lastly a goodly supply of GAGB keyrings to use as giveaways.

One of slightly more unusual items in the backpack is a short (50cm maybe)length of foam pipe insulation....

Go on then, I'll bite.

Why?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To place over a barbed wire fence when we realise we've gone the wrong way

It's come in handy probably half a dozen or so occasions and has prevented torn trousers - especially waterproof trousers! :)

Mark

As above, plus:

Small (AA battery size) torch (for looking in dark places)

Mirror (used as a kind of periscope)

Forceps (like tweeezers, only you can really grip and pull)

Magnet

Compass

Whistle (mostly used as a cow or dog deterrent).

Nylon cord

Several red GPO rubber bands

A bunch of keyring torches for swag

A small cache of emergency £20 notes folded up really small, in a plastic bag.

Speaking of Geocachign bags I finally found one I like. Was at the PX on Ramstein Air Base couple weeks ago and found one by 5.11 Tactical. It is this one - http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-MOAB-6.html . This thing is very rugged and has all the pockets and compartments I need to hold:

GPS

Flashlight

Video Camera

Extra Batteries

Pens

Extra logbooks

Gloves

Multipurpose Tool

Orange Emergency Vest

Trackables of mine to drop

Trackables of other to drop

Screwdriver

I think I will add a first aid kit, a small amount of TP

Speaking of Geocachign bags I finally found one I like. Was at the PX on Ramstein Air Base couple weeks ago and found one by 5.11 Tactical. It is this one - http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-MOAB-6.html . This thing is very rugged and has all the pockets and compartments I need to hold:

On the other hand, it costs £70.

I use a Tracpac shoulder bag. Similar size, lots of different compartments, strap is long enough, carryable while biking and costs £7. It isn't waterproof (don't try putting it underwater) but it's OK in the rain. It's DPM, so it looks cool.

http://www.barrowsurplus.co.uk/id78.html

I've tried various others, and I keep coming back to the Tracpac. The picture on the web site doesn't do it justice, you can't see all the clever pockets and compartments - if you want to see one, see me at an event.

On the other hand, it costs £70.

Hmmmm...I paid 62 bucks. I think it is a reasonable price for a well made product.

I don't deny that. But in the UK (this is a UK forum) it looks like it costs £70, and I still very much like the £7 Tracpac; an even more reasonable price for another well made product.

Just looked in my bag and can add the following:

Old apple core

19 sweet wrappers

A broken pencil

3 stones

a conker

2 acorns (both squashed)

A wet wipe (soiled???)

A broken torch (not mine)

An action mans leg (definately not mine)

One half sucked boiled sweet almost unregognizable with fluff/dust.

About 3 grammes of dust/sand/fluff.

A yellow sticky object (as yet unidentified)

My back door key (missing for 3 months).

4 rolls of red insulation tape (useless for hiding caches but comes in a dual packet)

One sock (useless)

12 used batteries

A crow bar (dont ask, but was needed to set a new cache)

and finally 'a tooth' human, milk tooth i think.

All cleaned up ready to put something useful in it. Thanks for the prompt to get this job done

I usually cache by bike so my supply is usually:

Spare inner tube

Four cereal bars

Two water bottles (one with water, one with an isotonic drink)

Mini Swiss Army Knife

Pencil

Piece of paper (for clues, multis, TB logs etc)

Any TBs I'm wanting to dump

Cycling multi-tool (consists of screwdrivers, chain tool, hex keys, T25 key, a few spanners, tyre levers and the obligatory bottle opener and sharp knife)

Spare batteries for the GPS

Block of batteries with a USB clip (for emergency charging of my phone, if necessary)

... and enough money to either take a cab home from wherever I've got to, and some small change so I can buy a chocolate bar or similar without having to use a £20 note.

It seems I cache rather light compared to everyone else, when caching I normally take with me:

Phone

Pen (If I remember)

Occasionally if I am having a grand day out caching, I will take a few extra's:

GPS (etrex)

Phone

Pen

Shewee

As for bags to transport stuff in, even if it is empty most of the time, I tend to carry a "Deuter Futura 32ac" with me at all times as a hand bag (define it as a handbag and it no longer has to obey the laws of volumetric physics).

J

GPS

Spare batteries

Swag for swapping

Our self-inking stamp to sign in the logbook

Any travel bugs / geocoins currently in our possession so that we can drop them off

A few of our signature items when we have them (I need to make up a new batch….)

Camera

Pen

A bottle or two of water

Pacamac if it looks like rain

That’s about it, and I’d also have my phone with me for taking notes on (like the solutions for multis or a reminder of what swag was swapped, or anything notable about the hide or location to comment on in the log later)

I’m always in awe of those who remember to bring clever extras like tweezers and mirrors, and foam pipes :) I always have to improvise on the spot for tools.

(IN THE RUCKSACK)

GPS

Spare batteries for GPS

Pen

Pencil

OS map

Heavy duty rigger Gloves

Latex gloves

Afterbite

Anthisan

Antiseptic cream

Bottled water

Camera

Screwdriver

Forehead torch

Maglite torch

Scissors

Tweezers

Mirror

Tissues

Wet wipes

Anti-bacterial hand gel

Paper

Paracetamol

Ibuprofen

Personal stamp & Stamp pad (for letterbox caches)

Plastic bag

Any trackables I've picked up which need moving on

Old mobile phone without any sim card in it (for pretending I'm on the phone when I have to loiter)

(IN THE CAR)

Walking stick

Walking boots

Spare socks

Long-sleeved anorak

Bottled water

- blimey, I never realised it was so much!

If I had to take the BARE minimum, it would be GPS, pen, AFTERBITE!!!! - don't ever go caching without a pen :laughing: - must get siggy in loggy to claim findy!

Mellers

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Geocaching and i was wondering, what do you take with you on a day out geocaching?

Many Thanks

PaulSAS

Well, the last time I went I had batteries, a pen, pencil, notebook, camera, a lump of cement, one film cannister, 3 Tupperware boxes and a large plastic pigeon.

It's so easy to pick up a lump of cement instead of your GPS.

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

PaulSAS

Well, the last time I went I had batteries, a pen, pencil, notebook, camera, a lump of cement, one film cannister, 3 Tupperware boxes and a large plastic pigeon.

mind you, she 'did' use a Colorado at the time...

Edited by Team Noodles

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

PaulSAS

mind you, she 'did' use a Colorado at the time...

<<strokes shiny new Oregon possessively>>

<<is thankful she spotted the iPad autocorrect to "organ">>

To be honest, on occasion I feel the lump of cement or the plastic pigeon would be more useful.

Edited by HouseOfDragons

Great thread for a nosy bugger like me, nice to see what others carry.

I combine caching with letterboxing and walking medium distances, (five or six hours tops usually) so I take quite a lot.

Pockets: Phone, camera, wallet, mp3 player (with audiobooks and radio comedy on), keys, pen.

Belt: Oregon 450 (I *love* this!)

Bumbag: All the stuff for GC and letterboxing I need. Postcards, ink pad, my own stamp, pens in one pocket. In another pocket GC stuff - goodies, pen and 1 set spare batteries. Oh, and a decent compass too.

In the backpack: OS map. Bin liner (weighs nothing, great for sitting on, collecting rubbish or even as an emergency raincoat!) First aid kit with indigestion tabs, paracetamol and ibuprofen. More spare batteries. A few sheets of bog roll. Baseball cap. Water bottles (depending on expected range and temperature). Food (I hate walking hungry!), a mini toolkit (spare bootlaces, string, insulation tape) and if there's any chance of rain, a coat strapped on. Also a small bag of gc containers and logs if I'm likely to be setting any new ones.

And a hiking pole, but only really for letterboxing an area. I find it's more hindrance than help when doing long walks really, but good for poking!

Car: Change of clothes, plenty extra water.

If just GC'ing close to the road I'll just keep the bumbag on. Quite handy for jumping in and out for those little grab and go ones.

Edited by dartymoor

As a bare minimum (eg when just nipping out in lunch break), gps, pencil and list of caches to look for. More usually, however:

gps

spare batteries

clipboard with list of caches on (great "stealth" accessory, and can also be used to kneel on if GZ is a bed of nettles)

spare pencils

rubber gloves

plastic pot full of swaps

trackables

camera

torch

tweezers

gaffer tape

inspection mirror

sense of humour

. . . plus appropriate walking kit for the location and the time of year (so anything from axe and crampons to sun gunk and extra water).

Plus occasionally *if* there's something about a particular cache that suggests they might be needed (and yes, it's all been used, albeit not all for the same cache . . . now *there's* an idea for a 5/5):

long stick with string-operated lego "jaws" taped to one end

piece of string with an assortment of hooks, magnets and double-sided tape

inflatable boat, pump, buoyancy aid and paddle

climbing kit (as much of my rack as I think I'll need, choice of dynamic or semi-static rope)

complete change of clothes, clean water and towel

wellies

hi-vis vest

extra torch

extra beer money

Most of the above also

Food ( to feed husband he gets grumpy when not feed )

ponchos they fold up small

tick killing tool

Clear plastic bag to put map in if it rains so we can still read it

But do not forget to tell someone were you are going just in case. If like us there is nobody at home to notice us missing.you can not rely on your phone working.

Just going to add "skin plasters" to my list too. Twice in the last 4 days of caching, my team 1st lieutenant has lacerated himself to the point where he was bleeding on his clothing and I've had to improvise field dressings from what I had to hand. First with a clean knotted hanky, second with a paper towel and an elastic band! I'm nothing if not resourceful, but would rather have a proper plaster to hand. Glad I had the antiseptic cream at the time, though, considering what we were both putting our hands in to while searching for subsequent caches on a series.

And he's up to date on his tetanus.

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

PaulSAS

:D

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

PaulSAS