Help with FTF

abiherts

Placed some new caches yesterday and received this log just now : "FTF! Found on a Sunday afternoon walk with best mate at 5.30pm. Unfort did not have pen with us to write in log book but will return to fill in. Our first FTF! TFTC"

Am I right in thinking that as they did not physically sign the log book or provide physical proof that they were there then they are not FTF? Secondly they have no caches under their name in this area either.

All advice greatfully received.

(Sigh)

Well.

International incidents have started over less than this...

What you have to remember is that the whole FTF thing is a separate game played by a small group of geocachers. There are no rules writ in stone - A FTF is whatever the individual wants to make it.

What happens now if someone else finds the cache and does write in the log and claims they are FTF? :huh:

You, as the cache owner, may be called upon to adjudicate.

I'd leave the country now, if I were you.

MrsB ;)

The 1st person to sign the log is going to have a claim for the FTF so I think you are going to have to delete the other one and send them a reason for the deletion.

Anything other than a FTF I would drop them a mail and ask for proof of finding, such as a descripton of how the cache is hidden or where it is.

Am I right in thinking that as they did not physically sign the log book or provide physical proof that they were there then they are not FTF?

They need to convince you they Found it. Otherwise it's a 'Bogus' log and should be deleted. :huh:

FTF? Depends on the STF and TFT, if they are happy to accept a log on the site, but no signature in the log book... :unsure:

No finds in the area? Could be away for the weekend.

I wish you all the best with the situation. :D

Have checked the Groundspeak knowledge books and their advice is that "Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed." So I have emailed the finder and am now going to delete their log. What an awkward situation to be put in :blink:

Assuming the new cache is bigger than a nano, the situation can be avoided in future by leaving a pencil in the cache! That way the first finders would have no excuse not to sign.

Rgds, Andy

Have checked the Groundspeak knowledge books and their advice is that "Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed." So I have emailed the finder and am now going to delete their log. What an awkward situation to be put in :blink:

Assuming the new cache is bigger than a nano, the situation can be avoided in future by leaving a pencil in the cache! That way the first finders would have no excuse not to sign.

Rgds, Andy

There's another way to avoid being caught in a situation of "wanting to sign the log and not having a pen", but I can't imagine what it is.

If I find a cache with no previous logs and sign an empty logbook I get the FTF honours without a doubt. I may even write "FTF" in there.

In this case the FTF claimers need to return with a pen and sign the log before anyone else does; otherwise it's not their FTF. Photo proof (should they have it) does not, I think, entitle them to FTF either; although it might be sufficient to claim an "ordinary" find. As I understand it the FTF game is all about signing the log first.

There has to be rules otherwise this game would be utterly pointless (not just rather pointless!).

On one occasion I forgot a pen I actually made up a small paste of clay from a nearby puddle and then found a sharp stick to use as a quill and made quite a good job of writing our name in the log.

If it was a FTF I dont think I would have left the scene without finding some way of marking the log. Any news of any other claimants yet?

People cache, without pens? :o

AND expect to claim First To Find? :o :o

On the very rare occasion :surprise: that I find a cache first, if I don't have a pen then I always find an alternative method to mark the log.

Now the mind really boggles on that one! An "alterative method" ;)

Every cache has either vicious thorns (country) or broken glass (urban) nearby, and you're carrying a plentiful supply of red ink.

On one occasion I forgot a pen I actually made up a small paste of clay from a nearby puddle and then found a sharp stick to use as a quill and made quite a good job of writing our name in the log.

Done the same, also used squashed berries (Blackberries are best), and in the urban environment there's usually a spent match to be found somewhere.

One FTF claimed out of three, the other two (including the cache in question) are still out there for grabs. Heard nothing back from the cacher whose log I deleted and emailed regarding. Thank you for all your advice and suggestions for other methods of marking :laughing:

Edited by abiherts

If we find a newly published cache with blank log book - we sign as FTF with date and time - always take a photo of the log and a long distant one showing where the cache is, not to upload but past onto c/o if need be lol

Recently have had two different caches, logged by two different cachers as FTF before I have had chance to log on pc - so I've uploaded the pics and they have altered their logs ---- I'm not that fussed about it ... I know we were first and they are only cheating/kidding themselves

We have recently had two cacher's saying they have found a cache but not had a pen - I have messaged them for some details reguarding the cache but heard nothing back .... do I leave it or delete the log ---- like I said above they are only cheating themselves

No signature in a log = no find. (I exclude blood and mud as I have done that and stated it in my online log). I also agree with others who view "replacing" a cache and then signing the log is a non find (I have friends who vehemently disagree on this too).

If, as cache owner, you are bothered if people are signing logs or not, or actually care whether the person/people have actually found the cache (they are only cheating themselves after all), then delete the log. You have every right to. If the alleged FTF and then first to sign the log want to have a fight over it, let them. Who cares?

Personally I could care less if am the first to find a traditional cache, as it invariably means that you have met certain requirements:

1. You receive email alerts on your internet-enabled phone;

2. You are not busy;

3. You have a car;

4. You have a torch;

5. You haven't just opened a bottle of merlot and settled down to a good DVD. :laughing:

No signature in a log = no find. (I exclude blood and mud as I have done that and stated it in my online log). I also agree with others who view "replacing" a cache and then signing the log is a non find (I have friends who vehemently disagree on this too).

If, as cache owner, you are bothered if people are signing logs or not, or actually care whether the person/people have actually found the cache (they are only cheating themselves after all), then delete the log. You have every right to. If the alleged FTF and then first to sign the log want to have a fight over it, let them. Who cares?

The "alternative" methods can be interesting. I've been known to cut the corners of a nano strip with the scissors in my pocket knife when I didn't have a pen (or the pen wouldn't mark the paper). One cache I found the day after a wedding, when I really wasn't dressed for caching, didn't have my caching bag with me and only had the GPS so I could navigate to the wedding, was a bison tube so I couldn't even leave a 5p coin in it to prove I was there. In the end I cut a tiny strip off the ribbon from the wedding order of service and left that in the cache as proof I was there.

I've never had any disputes over an FTF. If I'm the first to find I say so, if I'm the first to log I might make a big song and dance about just for the sake of it but if I wasn't the first to find it then so be it.

Personally I could care less if am the first to find a traditional cache, as it invariably means that you have met certain requirements:

1. You receive email alerts on your internet-enabled phone;

2. You are not busy;

3. You have a car;

4. You have a torch;

5. You haven't just opened a bottle of merlot and settled down to a good DVD. :laughing:

Yep, my local reviewer seems to be adept at publishing caches after I've been on a bike ride that went right past them but not until I've got home, had a shower, and my wife calls upstairs to tell me dinner is in 5 minutes.

I quite quickly got into the habit of always carrying a pen. It is helpful for all sorts of things, not just caching.

Yes, I agree. I can't understand people who can remember......

1. Their GPS

2. Their car

3. A pen knife

4. To look at the cache details

...and yet still forget to take a pen with them! :rolleyes:

Granted, when you first start caching it might not be at the top of your list of caching equipment - but you'd think anybody that had found a few would realise it's a pretty important bit of kit to take along :blink::huh:

(Although for all I know they were stood there with the cache, squashing berry juice into the log, with no trousers on - because they'd forgotten to get dressed before rushing out the front door ;):laughing: )

Edited by keehotee

...and yet still forget to take a pen with them! :rolleyes:

On several occasions, after signing the log, I've automatically left my pen in a cache, only to realise when I get to the next cache and discover I can't find my pen - I usually take a couple with me now. Having said that most of my penless incidents have been when I wasn't planning to go caching and just decided to grab a quickie in town using my Blackberry.