How to tell someone its NOT about the numbers

akkatracker

My Friend has recently started caching and he's always trying to "beat" me and find more than me. He needs to realise that it's not about the numbers. How?

Easy. "My Friend"...if this person is truly "your friend" then just TELL HIM. No need to sugar coat it or use any form of political correctness, just give him your straight opinion, period. "Friends" should be able to do this.

To some it is about the numbers. For others not. My question is why should it matter to you? Do it for what ever reason matters to you and forget about all else.

Is it my fault if I'm getting persecuted because of it!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Persecuted? You can't be more than 12. Find better friends.

To some it is about the numbers. For others not. My question is why should it matter to you? Do it for what ever reason matters to you and forget about all else.

Is it my fault if I'm getting persecuted because of it!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just tell your Dad that you don't appreciate him trying to compete with you!

(Just kidding. :P)

It sounds as if your (former) friend has succumbed to OCGCD (Obsessive-Compulsive GeoCaching Disease).

Sadly there is no known 'cure', but the afflicted person may suddenly shake-off the effects on their own.

I could go on and on about the prognosis, but there is little you can do now that they are 'infected'.

Since the patient seems to be focusing on a comparison of your find count versus theirs, a good option would be to let them get 'ahead' of you...WAY ahead. When it is brought up, simply state that it isn't a competition, and you don't care to compete with them regardless.

It will be difficult, but you must remain true to yourself.

The other option would be to book a flight to Nevada, get 1500 caches in 24 hours and smoke their A** completely off the planet.

Missed a parenthesis.

Edited by AZcachemeister

A while after starting out in the spring of 2007, I became friends with two cachers in the community. They both started right around the same time we did, and at first, though our find counts were all close, we had the fewest. I'm a competitive guy, and for a while, I tried to keep up, though I didn't actually say anything to them. But there was just no way. I lost interest in trying to keep up, and when I realized I was behind by over 1,000, I gave up completely.

Edit: It's been a while since I last checked on them, so I checked their profiles out today. One is just about to roll over to 6,000 finds. The other is closing in on 13,000. Honestly, I don't know how they have the time. We're all full-time employed, and both these guys have children.

Edited by hzoi

A while after starting out in the spring of 2007, I became friends with two cachers in the community. They both started right around the same time we did, and at first, though our find counts were all close, we had the fewest. I'm a competitive guy, and for a while, I tried to keep up, though I didn't actually say anything to them. But there was just no way. I lost interest in trying to keep up, and when I realized I was behind by over 1,000, I gave up completely.

Edit: It's been a while since I last checked on them, so I checked their profiles out today. One is just about to roll over to 6,000 finds. The other is closing in on 13,000. Honestly, I don't know how they have the time. We're all full-time employed, and both these guys have children.

If it's any consolation, it looks like you started about a month after I did but have over 3 times as many finds as I do.

If it's any consolation, it looks like you started about a month after I did but have over 3 times as many finds as I do.

OH YEAH! In your FACE!

Ah, heck. See what you made me do?