Number of caches found in one day

Beachcachers

Does anyone else ever wonder about some cachers claims that they found "x" number of caches in a 24 hour period?

Just some easy math here 24 hours in a day 900 caches found that equates to 37.5 caches an hour or one cache ever 1.6 minutes for a full day.

Now I'm sorry but you have to go at least 500 feet between caches so there is travel time, the caches would all have to be 1/1 because you have no time to search, and do you never eat, or have to use the bathroom.

I know it's only a game, but I do wonder about people some times.

Does anyone else ever wonder about some cachers claims that they found "x" number of caches in a 24 hour period?

Just some easy math here 24 hours in a day 900 caches found that equates to 37.5 caches an hour or one cache ever 1.6 minutes for a full day.

Now I'm sorry but you have to go at least 500 feet between caches so there is travel time, the caches would all have to be 1/1 because you have no time to search, and do you never eat, or have to use the bathroom.

For the OP, there are things called "Power Trails", which have hundreds or thousands of caches right off the road at .10 mile apart. People use certain techniques to get numbers like that. There are MANY threads regarding it.

To everyone else:

Power Trails, Three Card Monte, Leapfrogging, Log Shifting, Power Trails Aren't Real Geocaching, People can play the game as they like, other peoples numbers don't matter, why should we allow the honor of our count be diminished.

There's the entire thread. I just saved us all some time.

Edited by Hypnopaedia

Actually 900 caches in a 24 hour period is a pretty poor performance. I would be embarrassed to make such a claim. 37.5 caches an hour is about half of what can be done.

I agree that far under 4 digits shouldn't be announced which open them to ridicule for being kind of lazy.

Or just bad cheaters.

of me and some friends finding 3 caches on the Route 66 GeoTrail. Unlike most other power trail videos, this one is unencumbered by special effects. This is just raw footage of us finding 3 caches in about 2.5 minutes. Watch this video about 270 times in a loop and it would be just like being there yourself.

of me and some friends finding 3 caches on the Route 66 GeoTrail. Unlike most other power trail videos, this one is unencumbered by special effects. This is just raw footage of us finding 3 caches in about 2.5 minutes. Watch this video about 270 times in a loop and it would be just like being there yourself.

Now I know where you guys went wrong, you had a door on your car, what a waste of time.

Nope..once is enough for me to get bored with the power trail concept pretty quick....

Sometimes, it's just cheating pure and simple.

There's a well-known cacher that "visits" our state every once in a while with his buddies. When they cache here, there are days where they split off into 2-3 different directions/cities for the day. Then they cross-log all over the place getting incredibly high counts (with no power trails involved).

It's a silly and sad practice, made worse because other cachers look up to this person.

Oh well. It doesn't affect how I play, and it shouldn't affect you either. Just have fun. :laughing:

No, I don't wonder because I've seen videos of people on power trail runs and it's very possible to find caches at that rate. All it takes is proximity to a power trail or the means to travel to one and a tolerance for monotony.

There's a well-known cacher that "visits" our state every once in a while with his buddies. When they cache here, there are days where they split off into 2-3 different directions/cities for the day. Then they cross-log all over the place getting incredibly high counts (with no power trails involved).

It's a silly and sad practice, made worse because other cachers look up to this person.

Oh well. It doesn't affect how I play, and it shouldn't affect you either. Just have fun. :laughing:

I agree. Who really cares? When confronted by some of these people who boast of 10,000 finds or brag about getting 1000 in a day...I just smile and say "that's nice."

You play it your way and I'll play it my way. :D

I agree. Who really cares? When confronted by some of these people who boast of 10,000 finds or brag about getting 1000 in a day...I just smile and say "that's nice."

If I were someone who was into numbers I think I'd care for that very reason. It would bother me that others would look at my accomplishments with a jaded eye and assume that I achieved them through questionable methods.

In a way it's like baseball during the steroid years. Because a portion of players used steroids to bulk up and increase their power, everybody who hit a lot of home runs during that era is suspect whether or not they actually "juiced".

If I were someone who was into numbers I think I'd care for that very reason. It would bother me that others would look at my accomplishments with a jaded eye and assume that I achieved them through questionable methods.

In a way it's like baseball during the steroid years. Because a portion of players used steroids to bulk up and increase their power, everybody who hit a lot of home runs during that era is suspect whether or not they actually "juiced".

Now, now Brian. Me thinks you read too much into what I said. I simply smile and say, "that's nice." I never said anything about having a "jaded eye" nor that you achieved your finds through "questionable means." I just don't care. If you want to sit down with me and talk about some adventures you've had while geocaching..we'll sit and talk all night. If you want to toot your numbers horn...ummm...I'm walking away. It's boring.

It only takes 20-30 seconds to drive between caches and if you lucky enough to stop very near the cache only a couple of seconds to grab the cache.

It took us 20 hours and 10 minutes to complete the new E.T. trail of 1500 caches for an average of 75 caches per hour or about 48 seconds per cache. There were sections of the trail where we hit 97 per hour and these make up for the slower times.

It takes some planning and a very dedicated group of guys. Plus this was the 4th trail for a couple of the guys and my second so we knew what to expect and how to prepare for it. We had everything we needed to go straight through so we never needed to stop for long.

Then again we did come up with a few new ideas along the way to make it faster to make if faster.

Now for the stats

We started at midnight and hit the last E.T. cache at 21:17. Along the way we did go off track for 42 others that took the additional 1:07 which I subtracted from our total to come up with 20:10 for the E.T. run. (times come from GPS track)

For the purist we hit our 1500th find at 20:30. After completing the trail we did manage an addition 20 caches before midnight for a total find of 1564 in a single calendar day.

Again these are not exciting caches, but the fun is in seeing how fast they can be completed.

I believe the the total possible find for a single day will be near 1800 and possibly 2000 depending on placement.

Team Sand Dollar

It's funny how often this comes up... I remember making a post like this myself about 9 months ago. Just like this thread, I had dozens of individuals prove to me otherwise. Yes, it seems unlikely--and for many of us--it sounds a little bit less than sane. :D But for those who love their power trails, it is most certainly possible.

It's funny how often this comes up... I remember making a post like this myself about 9 months ago. Just like this thread, I had dozens of individuals prove to me otherwise. Yes, it seems unlikely--and for many of us--it sounds a little bit less than sane. :D But for those who love their power trails, it is most certainly possible.

There will always be new geocachers and predictably they will always ask the same questions. A lot of the snarky people will sarcastically direct them to the search feature on the forums...but others will patiently answer the question again.

Truthfully, if it weren't for newbies asking the same questions...there wouldn't be much for anyone to talk about here.

Perhaps the power cachers who resort to techniques that people call cheating are unencumbered by made up rules. Perhaps they are able to look at sections of the geocaching.com website that describe writing in logs or replacing caches as you found them and are able to say "these are just suggestions, when it come to actually counting something as a find it's between the cache owner and the finder". In any case, unlike Roger Clemens saying he never used steroids, if a numbers cacher say they set a record without using any questionable techniques, I'd believe them. There is no reason to lie about because those that have used these techniques see to be will to admit to it. Unlike "juiced" baseball players who will lie under oath.

I also have always "wondered" about some of the really high numbers claimed. I just watched the Youtube video linked earlier in this thread, and while they did indeed snag 3 in 2 1/2 minutes (actually, only 2, since they pretty much start the video off with the first), something occurred to me. How is it that they knew exactly which bush to go to, exactly which side of the bush to look under, the fact that one was a guardrail cache rather than a bush, etc.?? Since the video has sound, it's clear that nothing is said to each other regarding which bush, or anything, prior to them exiting the car, yet both guys go immediately to the correct side of the correct bush, or immediately go to the guardrail instead of a close bush. Hmmmm? Seems to me that when I hear of the "preparation" that these cache runs take, perhaps that means "pre-running" the route at an earlier time so that they already know the location of each cache?

Edited by 4x4van

I also have always "wondered" about some of the really high numbers claimed. I just watched the Youtube video linked earlier in this thread, and while they did indeed snag 3 in 2 1/2 minutes (actually, only 2, since they pretty much start the video off with the first), something occurred to me. How is it that they knew exactly which bush to go to, exactly which side of the bush to look under, the fact that one was a guardrail cache rather than a bush, etc.?? Since the video has sound, it's clear that nothing is said to each other regarding which bush, or anything, prior to them exiting the car, yet both guys go immediately to the correct side of the correct bush, or immediately go to the guardrail instead of a close bush. Hmmmm? Seems to me that when I hear of the "preparation" that these cache runs take, perhaps that means "pre-running" the route at an earlier time so that they already know the location of each cache?

GEO - TRAILS and Geo-mobile trails.

Certainly that is part of it. The other part is the driver does a good job of stopping at the right place, or in the case of the guardrail, just in front of the guardrail. A good driver makes a big difference.

Certainly that is part of it. The other part is the driver does a good job of stopping at the right place, or in the case of the guardrail, just in front of the guardrail. A good driver makes a big difference. The other part of the equation is geopiles. A few times you get skunked, but mostly you get really good at spotting the right place.

Correct. I've done two very small, insignificant, rails to trails power trails in New York and Ontario. There was a well worn Geo-trail to all of the caches. And one of these trails was only about 3 weeks old when I hit it. No experience with 1,500 roadside film canisters 528 feet apart in the desert, of course. :)

...while they did indeed snag 3 in 2 1/2 minutes (actually, only 2, since they pretty much start the video off with the first)...

The video I watched started with the short drive to cache #1 (a bush hide), included a guardrail hide, and ended with everyone back at the vehicle after finding cache #3 (another bush hide).

How is it that they knew exactly which bush to go to, exactly which side of the bush to look under...

In addition to the previously mentioned geo-trails, it sounded like "the typical hide is a film canister under several rocks," so I expect it's not hard spotting the unusual piles of rocks. And I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all of those rock piles were on the away-from-road side of the bushes to provide a little protection from muggles.

Thanks for the reminder of the great weekend we spent caching together as a team.

To the naysayers-that is what it was really all about. Sure the numbers are fun, but the challenge was one of planning and endurance, not looking for a hard to find or get to cache. You saw 3 out of 850 from that day starting at 7AM and getting to our hotel around 2AM the next morning. We did take time to enjoy the scenery, but saw it through the car windows. On the other three days of caching in the area we went at a slightly slower pace and found between 85-200/day. Each day was in a different area, and we commented on the variety in the terrain and flora (not much visible fauna during the day).

Eating and bathroom breaks are done in shifts so the finding doesn't really stop, although we did park in the shade of an abandoned gas station for a 10 minute sandwich break. It's across the street from an EC we stopped for in Ludlow CA.

' timestamp='1315721223' post='4839452']

Now I know where you guys went wrong, you had a door on your car, what a waste of time.

We had planned for a mini-van rental so we could keep it open as some have done on the ET trail. But since V1 of that was archived prior to our trip, we spent more time in CA and did off-road trails part of the other days. The mini van wouldn't have made it to some of the places that Lil Devil's ride did.

Silly 4x4-do you think we would share the out-takes video that show us falling down, looking in the wrong bush, or wrong section of guardrail? The GPS and previous tire prints usually give you a pretty good idea where to stop and look. Once you do find the right bush, the pile of rocks is pretty obvious. Although we may have left an extra pile or two at a few of the caches just so the group behind us could have more fun. :bad:

Yes, they are pretty much all on the far side of the road to make the search a bit easier, and the pile a bit out of sight of non-cachers.

Edited by wimseyguy

Silly 4x4-do you think we would share the out-takes video that show us falling down, looking in the wrong bush, or wrong section of guardrail? The GPS and previous tire prints usually give you a pretty good idea where to stop and look. Once you do find the right bush, the pile of rocks is pretty obvious. Although we may have left an extra pile or two at a few of the caches just so the group behind us could have more fun. :bad:

Yes, they are pretty much all on the far side of the road to make the search a bit easier, and the pile a bit out of sight of non-cachers.

Just between you and me, do you actually find/sign them all? There seem to be huge piles of "spares" -- do you find like 800, then sign 50 more in the pile, to get 850? Do you go back later and sign the ones you missed? I ask because I once thought of doing 24 guard rails, ended up with 4 finds, couldn't find some, and even had a terrible time keeping track of just those. I in no way had planned that run, of course. Anyway, it wasn't set up to be found in a "power-trail" style as you found. But I still wonder.

Doesn't really matter, since I'll never do something like that. I'd end up dropped off at one of the piles, due to just slowing everyone down. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Between you-me-anyone else who is reading.

I won't speak for the behavior of others who do the power trails as I wasn't there with them, nor am I responsible for their actions.

Our team 'Alien Ra66it Runners' used a rubber stamp for each log. We didn't leapfrog/hopscotch any containers, we didn't replace any containers, we claimed finds on caches we found at posted coords and stamped those logs. We had three stamps with us, so someone who left the car would always have one handy.

PS-you might notice from the video that I am not built for speed either. But I can keep up.

Edited by wimseyguy
PS-you might notice from the video that I am not built for speed either. But I can keep up.

I was imagining how it would be when I get to cache 297 and suddenly realize "this is just plain bat-nuts CRAZY and what was I thinking!"

If you're keeping track by coords, it should be simple to tell which ones might have been missed. Like when you're done, and the count is 899 of 900, I know I'd want to go get that last stray cache. There should be an App for that -- a power-trail manager... nevermind... ever since I got a tablet PC, I think of apps they should have...

Is there a video of an entire hunt? ... you know, compressed into a couple of minutes. A single photo for each cache, shown for a half-second each, would require several minutes, but maybe they could go faster. That would take at least as much planning (and more work) than the actual hunt. But it would be pretty cool.

Edited by kunarion

When we go on a crazy speed caching run, we don't stop to eat...we bring an ice chest along, and take turns eating and snacking.

Bathrooms are a different issue. We usually take a few minutes to stop somewhere for that.

If you rotate 'jobs', you can easily keep up the pace for a couple of hours.

However...after 5 or 6 hours, we seem to go thru a low point... a wall some say... where we are all kinda 'down' for a bit. When that happens...we drink a soda and wait for the sugar to kick in...then it's up again.

The one minute finds only work if the run is set up to be fast....all on one side of the road...all point one mile apart....all hidden the same method or quite obvious.

It's not for everyone!