Option to make FOUND caches not listed?

Morty's Twisted World

Does anyone know if the site has any sort of option where I can make it NOT show all the caches I have found near me. Reason I'm asking, when I click to see the nearest caches to me, 98% of the first few pages are showing the ones I found. I would like to clean it up where I can toggle those off so that on the first page, it re-sorts all the one's I haven't found and list the closest UNfound caches on that first page. That way I don't have to toggle through so many pages just to see 20-30 UNfound caches since I have found such a large number of caches near my home.

Hope that made sense

GeoCache now, die later!

If you feel comfortable with software, you should give a program called "cache harvester" a try - it can be found at http://home.earthlink.net/~msargent2/ch/

The main problem with all these programs is the setup. With this one, the best thing is to get the coords you want caches from - input that and other General Options data and click "go". It goes right to GEOCaching to get all caches within the range you enter. If all you want is unfound caches, it will just do those. You can then click on any cache and it will take you to the webpage for that cache. You can also create a GPX file which can be loaded into EASYGPS and then to your GPS unit.

It sure lets me do a lot of what-ifing without having to wait for a GEO GPX file.

Good luck..........

Two things:

1.) Check out the discussion that was Here

What you want can be accomplished thru the website (for Premium members like you guys)

2.) No, the biggest problem with software harvesters is that they

a) Put a big drain on the website resources

;) Can often lead to your IP address and/or account being banned.

If you want GPX, use a Pocket Query. It's already configured, and all you have to do is check the "Not found" box under the types of caches you want....

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

----------------------------------

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

quote:
If you feel comfortable with software, you should give a program called "cache harvester" a try

So now we know why the performance of geocaching.com has been so poor of late!

Seriously, screen-scraping software is highly discouraged and using it isvery rude to everyone else. This program is clearly one of that type, and should be removed immediately, or (if TPTB can figure out how to detect it) result in a user getting his of her IP banned from the site.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:
If you feel comfortable with software, you should give a program called "cache harvester" a try

So now we know why the performance of geocaching.com has been so poor of late!

Seriously, screen-scraping software is highly discouraged and using it isvery rude to everyone else. This program is clearly one of that type, and should be removed immediately, or (if TPTB can figure out how to detect it) result in a user getting his of her IP banned from the site.

I just tried it since the link was posted earlier. It doesn't do a good job of exporting GPX files, which I use for the Palm for Plucker, Cetus GPS and NAV Companion, along with waypoints for the Garmin III+. Basically I'm deleting the program from my computer. I already get the GPX files from GC.com, but I will usually try out any new or interesting software. I agree, this program will put a much greater load on the GC.com servers. The Pocket Queries are run during the night when the system load isn't as high. I would recommend that you don't even bother with this program.

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

I just tried it since the link was posted earlier. It doesn't do a good job of exporting GPX files, which I use for the Palm for Plucker, Cetus GPS and NAV Companion, along with waypoints for the Garmin III+. Basically I'm deleting the program from my computer. I already get the GPX files from GC.com, but I will usually try out any new or interesting software. I agree, this program will put a much greater load on the GC.com servers. The Pocket Queries are run during the night when the system load isn't as high. I would recommend that you don't even bother with this program.

I really like Watcher (see http://www.clayjar.com) for filtering out caches I've found. Of course, your PQ can do this for you too. But Watcher allows you to ignore other caches by type or distance or whatever. It's a terrific program. I'm hooked on it!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Live geocaching help 1-800-ASK-KEEN extension 0324998 - call when you're out caching and you get stuck!

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

I really like Watcher (see http://www.clayjar.com) for filtering out caches I've found. Of course, your PQ can do this for you too. But Watcher allows you to ignore other caches by type or distance or whatever. It's a terrific program. I'm hooked on it!

Forgot to mention that you run your GPX files through Watcher and it presents no server-load problems whatsoever.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Live geocaching help 1-800-ASK-KEEN extension 0324998 - call when you're out caching and you get stuck!

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

I use Watcher for looking through caches on the PC, GPX Spinner for converting to HTML and Plucker for viewing caches on the Palm. I also use GPS Babel to convert the spinner.gpx file to Cetus and NAV Companion waypoints for the Magellan Nav Companion GPS for the Palm. I use the Garmin III+ mostly, but it helps sometimes to have the Palm GPS. I really like the software and many thanks to the developers of those programs.

Thanks for all the tips. And I'm totally against anything that hogs the site. I'm still amazed we don't have to pay more than we do to be premium members. Its worth every penny and then some.

But other than using some program, I wanted a "preference" that could be set on my account that way no matter what PC I may be at in the world, I can just log in and it automatically knows my settings and shows me basically what all of you are saying I can do with a program.

Again, if anyone knows of a way just to make it possible when viewing the actual website itself, please let me know. Thanks.

GeoCache now, die later!

quote:
Originally posted by Morty's Twisted World:

Does anyone know if the site has any sort of option where I can make it NOT show all the caches I have found near me.

Some of us have been asking for that option for a LOOOOONG time. I don't want to have to use a pocket query. That's too many extra steps. I don't even use a GPSr about 2/3 of the time. It would be GREAT if I could just search the nearest caches and NOT list caches I've found and caches I've placed.

Maybe soon? Please?

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif