For a blast from the past...........

dodgydaved

Ahhhh, happy memories.... when most caches were great, and you had to drive about 100 miles to get just 15 caches in a whole day!

Thats almost exactly what we did yesterday :) but we only managed 9 caches. :mad:

If you still want the "Good Old Days" please visit us in the north of Scotland. You are all welcome.

Ahhhh, happy memories.... when most caches were great, and you had to drive about 100 miles to get just 15 caches in a whole day!

100 miles for 15 caches? I went that distance for my first cache as it was the only one within 100 miles!

Happy days indeed and great to see so many of my old caching friends on this thread being a rare visitor now.

Well well well!! It's been ages since I looked in here and what do I find? Yes Dave and I had a pleasant chat and cuppa. I'm well although getting over a minor knee op. Sam the cachehound is still around although neither of us bother with caching these days. Somehow the fun and adventure seems to have gone out of the game. From what I can see it's all gone "corporate" now, rather like the local "greasy spoon" being replaced by a McDonalds.

Still it's nice to see so many old names I recognise.

And if we're reminiscing I remember the time I overtook Alex (Slytherin) to become the UK's leading cache finder with something like 450 caches found, and the weekend I spent finding EVERY cache in London!!! (yes 2 days to clear every single cache) Ah thems woz the days indeed ;)

Happy memories indeed when I had just started caching. Using my old eTrex and finding ammo cans called "Hornet's Hide ..."

Do you know, I still have two fully labelled Ammo cans in my garage. Should I?............... hmmmmmmmm

Absolutely you should. Just think of all the space you will free up for something else....Stylophone collection, box of LP's, Space hoppers, TV Times leather binders? Go on, you know it makes sense :laughing: .

I know we haven't had as lengthy a service as some of the above but I do remember writing a log which expressed astonishment at our '10 finds in one day' and we still use a Garmin Etrex for all our finds/hides today. We used to go to the pub at the end of the day and read through all the cache pages (printed off) of the caches we had found.

Well well well!! It's been ages since I looked in here and what do I find? Yes Dave and I had a pleasant chat and cuppa. I'm well although getting over a minor knee op. Sam the cachehound is still around although neither of us bother with caching these days. Somehow the fun and adventure seems to have gone out of the game. From what I can see it's all gone "corporate" now, rather like the local "greasy spoon" being replaced by a McDonalds.

And if we're reminiscing I remember the time I overtook Alex (Slytherin) to become the UK's leading cache finder with something like 450 caches found, and the weekend I spent finding EVERY cache in London!!! (yes 2 days to clear every single cache) Ah thems woz the days indeed ;)

The Good Old Days are still alive and kicking despite the best efforts of some. If you don't bother with hiding caches, use the selection tools available to plan an itinerary and keep forums at arm's length then you can have a great day out just like old times. In my opinion, many of the best UK caches have been hidden in the last three years or so. There are plenty of sub-games to keep you interested as well, such as the "bingo card" D/T grid which seems to provide some motivation, some great cache series to tick off, and the superb puzzle caches which now abound (some great challenges there which were not available back in 2004 when I started).

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Yes nice to hear about you, yes I remember switching on geocaching.com and being disappointed at no new caches had appeared, and my first objective of clearing out EVERY caching in all of North Yorkshire which I did (All 350 of them)!!! Imagine trying to achieve that today !

I cant even think of one cache back then in North Yorkshire that I did not like or want to visit, much different from today !!! (and thats just Harrogate area !)

Also seeing the face of Seasider driving all the way from Blackpool to Harrogate to find his nearest unfound ! Part of my Harrogate Hobble series, and he even set out knowing the final cache had not being released....Good one John...

Memories......

As my friend with the same initials HH(Happy Humphrey)has said things develop, and yes despite and email I received this morning and I quote

"Hi Robin, Not seen you around for a while, a shame as your such a character."

things develop, little did I know that when I started my first "North Yorkshire Meet" in 2004 which ran for 4 years eventually developing in the First UK Mega !! Very proud !

Recently the only caches I have found are in Thailand, Morocco and next week in India.....

So despite my current lack of interest in the uk, I am lucky to be able to explore areas abroad....

The "Game" continues, and for many more years to come......

100 miles for 15 caches? I went that distance for my first cache as it was the only one within 100 miles!

Happy days indeed and great to see so many of my old caching friends on this thread being a rare visitor now.

154 miles round trip for one of yours this week... :D :D Bit like old times... and work paid for the transport.. M

The Good Old Days are still alive and kicking despite the best efforts of some. If you don't bother with hiding caches, use the selection tools available to plan an itinerary and keep forums at arm's length then you can have a great day out just like old times. In my opinion, many of the best UK caches have been hidden in the last three years or so. There are plenty of sub-games to keep you interested as well, such as the "bingo card" D/T grid which seems to provide some motivation, some great cache series to tick off, and the superb puzzle caches which now abound (some great challenges there which were not available back in 2004 when I started).

Totally agree, most of my favourites are less than 3 years old and as I recall from one of the first forum posts I ever read ' If Geocaching is so bad these days why are so many people having so much fun?!

Additionally, if no new cachers had come on the scene and placed new caches then surely the whole game would have finished now because you wouldn't have anything else to find.

Totally agree, most of my favourites are less than 3 years old and as I recall from one of the first forum posts I ever read ' If Geocaching is so bad these days why are so many people having so much fun?!

Additionally, if no new cachers had come on the scene and placed new caches then surely the whole game would have finished now because you wouldn't have anything else to find.

A few posts back, I had written a reply to give my views as to why we don't find caching as enjoyable as it used to be. I then thought twice and deleted it because I felt that this is such a nice feel good thread, and wanted to keep it that way. I didn't want it to seemingly to turn into an "us and them" arguement. But no one can turn back time and newer members cannot know what it was like in our Good Old Days. A lot of our newer caching buddies think it is fantastic now - perhaps it is their Golden Years of Caching but I wouldn't mind betting that another ten or even five years down the line, they will look back with fond memories at their "good old days" and maybe regret the changes, which inevitably there will be.

I agree that there have been some great caches been placed within the last three years but there have been many, many more boring ones placed. I don't agree that new cachers have been "the saviours" of the game. The old hands are still placing new caches too, and there are still many older caches for us to find.

In my opinion there are so many caches already placed now that I feel even if no more were placed in the next twelve months, there would still be enough to keep everyone busy (I would defy anyone to say they have done them all!) It would encourage people to go further afield and discover pastures new.

Of course, this is my opinion and I am not suggesting everyone should feel the same way :D