Tool Help

TeamLucht

Hello, We did a night cache tonight that gave us a whoopin. I haven't logged it yet cause i haven't found it and I haven't given up. But I need some help.

I have a North Cord of N40 1.xxx and we aren't worried about the W\E cord. I want to take N40 1.xxx and go 160° South 300 FT. Is there a set of tools out there or a calculation that can be ran to figure this out cause watching 5 adults wonder around in the woods for 3 hours with flash lights is funny for about an hour.. after that its just sad.

Im not looking for a hint on a cache, im looking for tools

Thanks

Joe(jlucht01)

Hello, We did a night cache tonight that gave us a whoopin. I haven't logged it yet cause i haven't found it and I haven't given up. But I need some help.

I have a North Cord of N40 1.xxx and we aren't worried about the W\E cord. I want to take N40 1.xxx and go 160° South 300 FT. Is there a set of tools out there or a calculation that can be ran to figure this out cause watching 5 adults wonder around in the woods for 3 hours with flash lights is funny for about an hour.. after that its just sad.

Im not looking for a hint on a cache, im looking for tools

Thanks

Joe(jlucht01)

If I understand what you are asking correctly, you need to use a gps that can project a waypoint. You can enter in a distance and a bearing and it will mark the spot for you. Sorry if I didn't understand the question.

What you are looking for is a way to project a waypoint.

Most handheld gps's can do this directly on the gps.

If you are using gsak, there's a tool built into that.

You can also use a tool called fizzycalc to do it on your PC (if you are running windows, not sure if its available for other os's).

There are also online calculators all over the place to do it too.

HI want to take N40 1.xxx and go 160° South 300 FT. Is there a set of tools out there or a calculation that can be ran to figure this out

You want to "project a waypoint". Some GPSs have that feature built-in, but for long distances, a calculator will give better results for finding a Geocache.

I think the 2nd calculator down this page might work, but I haven't tried it:

http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm

I'm not sure I'm understanding your initial set up, but assuming you're starting with a set of coords as a "go to", and now you have new bearing from them of 300 feet at 160° - just leave your "go to" alone, and walk away from that point until you're 300 feet away, with a return bearing to your first "go to" of 200°.

200° is the reverse bearing of 160°

No "tools" needed, no waypoint projection. No change to the gps... you just need to know that the reverse of any bearing is 360 - degree # of that bearing...

Edited by Isonzo Karst

If you are using an actual GPSr you can use the "project a waypoint" feature. Consult your owner's manual for instructions on how to do that with your particular unit. If you are using a car GPS or an iphone, use a compass. Simply turn the dial on the compass to 160 degrees and then rotate your body until the needle lines up with N. You are now facing 160 degrees. Pick out a landmark that is straight ahead of you and walk toward it until you've paced off 300'.

What you will need to know is weather that 160 degrees is TRUE north or MAGNETIC north. If the cache page does not specify, you'd best be prepared to try both. Google the magnetic declination in your area and add or subtract that amount from the 160. Magnetic declination in the continental US varies from 0 degrees up to 20 degrees east or west, so you can see how far off the mark you could end up if you went 160 from Magnetic north and the CO meant true north or vise vesa.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your initial set up, but assuming you're starting with a set of coords as a "go to", and now you have new bearing from them of 300 feet at 160° - just leave your "go to" alone, and walk away from that point until you're 300 feet away, with a return bearing to your first "go to" of 200°. 200° is the reverse bearing of 160° No "tools" needed, no waypoint projection. No change to the gps... you just need to know that the reverse of any bearing is 360 - degree # of that bearing...

I don't like to correct errors in posts but I fear someone new to the game might be badly misinformed by the above. If by "reverse" you mean reciprocal heading, then the formulas are:

if heading is between 0 and 180, you add 180

if heading is between 180 and 360 you subtract 180.

In the cases mentioned the reciprocal of 200° is 20° and the reciprocal of 160° is 340°. If you have doubts look at a compass rose that has degree numbers.