Technology + Caching

Tibblez

I'm a computer science major and I love to geocache and I want to merge the two fields in new and interesting ways. I've already done so in once cache if you want to check out GC2XXX7. I've also been working on the blueprints for a geocache which is a solid box which is locked and has 4 LED lights and 4 buttons on the top. You have to solve a simon-says type puzzle in order to gain access. I'm now taking a class where our instructions are to build an interactive device, I want to stick with the geocaching theme but I think I need a more advanced idea for the class. Any bigger, nerdier projects you can think of along the same lines?

Not exactly a Geocache, but I have seen (not in person, mind you) a device that has to be taken to a specific location before it will open.

As I recall you could get clues/hints from the unit about which direction and how far to take it.

I think they have been discussed in these boards, but I can't remember exactly what it was called...I'm sure someone will have a link soon.

I'd also be careful with hiding a box with flashing lights and such. Remember the Boston advertising fiasco.

There was a Northern California cacher that thought it would be a good idea to glue circuit boards to the outside of his ammo can. When Caltrans found it under one of their bridges, all heck broke loose. Last I heard, he was facing criminal charges and the county and state were trying to recover the wasted funds from their over reaction, from the cacher.

I wish I had the chance to find that one Chrysalides! I like it. I also hope that the geocaching community is more controlled in their enthusiasm than to get inside the box that way.

I would love to do my original idea, and I might eventually once I have a better grasp on this type of technology but for the purposes of this class I think it is a bit too simplistic. I hadn't heard of that Don J but that is a little concerning. I'm hoping here in Canada a well hidden and well disguised box wouldn't be considered too much of a threat. I've been mulling it over and have come up with a few ideas that I don't know if people would like to see or not. Opinions are welcome.

I was thinking perhaps:

A microphone is built into the box, you have to sing or play a note at a certain pitch to open it.

The box resembles some sort of die and you have to change the orientation in the right order for it to open.

other suggestions?

C'mon over, it's only a 1600 mile drive :)

I've heard of, but never had the opportunity to do, multis with one of the stages implemented as a FM transmitter. It may be broadcasting coordinates in clear or in morse, using a low power transmitter.

I looked at your cache, I haven't done any like it yet, looks fun.

Edited by Chrysalides

Seems to me one big obstacle for a Geocache that uses alot of technology, especially the custom made type, would be to make sure it is weatherproof, (including rust proof as much as possible inside and out) can last a very long time without a replacement power source, and that it can take a lot of abuse. (And I'm not just talking about from Geocachers, but animals, and depending on location, possibly even hunters or other muggles.)

As far as worries about it being mistaken for a bomb or something, if placed with explicit permission in a rural area, clearly labeling the container as a Geocache, possibly even putting the GC code and/or website on it, and (don't know if anyone has done this) actually showing the container to the local authorities and telling them where it'll be (possibly giving them the info needed to open it safely) might help prevent any panicked responses.

Then you just have to worry about someone stealing it. :)

I'm a computer science major and I love to geocache and I want to merge the two fields in new and interesting ways. I've already done so in once cache if you want to check out GC2XXX7. I've also been working on the blueprints for a geocache which is a solid box which is locked and has 4 LED lights and 4 buttons on the top. You have to solve a simon-says type puzzle in order to gain access. I'm now taking a class where our instructions are to build an interactive device, I want to stick with the geocaching theme but I think I need a more advanced idea for the class. Any bigger, nerdier projects you can think of along the same lines?

When you think about it, computer science essentially boils down to the use of ones and zeros. Binary data can be used to represent characters, converted to other numbering systems (i.e. 101 = 5 in decimal), and a computer program eventually reduced down to a set of instructions, in binary, that converts to digital signals (high, low) to control the hardware. However, if you think of "binary" as anything that can be one of two states (on/off, hot/cold, male/female, etc.) you can use all sorts of real world objects to represent binary data which is converted to a number that's part of a set of coordinates. For example, consider your box with the 4 LEDs. An seven segment LED can display a specific character depending on the voltages on the pins of the device and is typically represented using upper/lower case characters on the pins labeled a through g. So,

AbCDeFG would represent the setting of the pins to display a 5. Use your imagination to think of how you could turn other objects into binary data and you might be able to come with a clever puzzle.

I have a Bookmark List of AVR/Arduino/Microprocessor based caches here:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=9dc7690f-39eb-4e19-8c19-734467700f1c

I am working on an RFID based multi-cache where you will have to take a box to the different stages, find the RFID chip and scan it to get the next stage coordinates.

There are also 4 "reverse geocaches" in BC.

Cheers

K1W1

Neat! We're using Arduinos in our class and that's how I intend on making my Simon Says cache when I get around to it. It is good to know there are some caches that are using the same technology already, too bad they're so far away from me. They're all > 1000kms away but maybe one day I'll get out there. If and when I get my Simon Says cache working I will post it.

If I had the skills, here's something I would love to build for events.

It's an electronic Hot/Cold game. You enter in a set of coordinates somewhere within the "playing field". A person looking to play the game "initializes" the box by pressing the "START" button at hoist starting location. The user then moves some distance away from his start point, and presses the "?" button. The box then informs the user if he is getting hotter or colder (blue LED is colder, red LED is hotter - or something like that). The sequence continues until he is within some set distance of GZ (say 100') at which point the red LED blinks. The red LED would blink the number of times the user's position was checked (pressing the "?" button) followed by a long "off", and then repeats. The winner of the game is the person who his GZ in the fewest "moves".

It's an electronic Hot/Cold game. You enter in a set of coordinates somewhere within the "playing field". A person looking to play the game "initializes" the box by pressing the "START" button at hoist starting location. The user then moves some distance away from his start point, and presses the "?" button. The box then informs the user if he is getting hotter or colder (blue LED is colder, red LED is hotter - or something like that). The sequence continues until he is within some set distance of GZ (say 100') at which point the red LED blinks. The red LED would blink the number of times the user's position was checked (pressing the "?" button) followed by a long "off", and then repeats. The winner of the game is the person who his GZ in the fewest "moves".

Rather than develop new hardware for something like this it might be easier to build it as a mobile app. It might even be doable as a web page using HTML5 and the location API.

Rather than develop new hardware for something like this it might be easier to build it as a mobile app. It might even be doable as a web page using HTML5 and the location API.

Wherigo can do the warmer/colder game:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f19bb5e0-9725-49bb-82dd-256c0b0357f2