Have single downloads of LOC file be named after the cache?

Team Chevelle

I was grabbing a few LOC files from specific caches and kept renaming them to be the waypoint name to keep track of them (the default download name is "geocaching.loc"). It seems that it should be possible (and likely fairly easy) to have the download on individual cache pages be named after the waypoint name. That way, if I'm grabbing a few of them from individual caches, they can just be saved as they are -- instead of having to rename to avoid overwrites each time.

Thoughts?

- John...

They can be - when you save the file, your browser should give you the option of naming the file whatever you want.

With that said, I think that you're saying that the default file name that the server sends in the HTTP headers should be the waypoint name. I agree. icon_biggrin.gif

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

They can be - when you save the file, your browser should give you the option of naming the file whatever you want.

Um, of course. That's what I said -- that I was renaming them... I meant at download time, in case that wasn't clear. I wasn't saving them and then renaming them, if that is what you thought.

quote:
With that said, I think that you're saying that the _default_ file name that the server sends in the HTTP headers should be the waypoint name. I agree. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, that's what I'm saying. In fact, I said it rather directly: "the default download name is 'geocaching.loc'" and that I would like them "to be named after the waypoint name." I think it was clear. heh.

Thanks though -- for at least confirming what I wrote, I guess! icon_smile.gif

- John...

I had the same interest earlier when I was downloading individual .loc files.

At least when you do a pocket query, the individual .loc files are named after the waypoints. Doesn't help specifically when downloading only one point, but you may not have known this. I didn't.

quote:
Originally posted by MtnLion:

At least when you do a pocket query, the individual .loc files are named after the waypoints.

Huh? When you create a PQ, it puts ALL the requested waypoints in a single file (which is not named after any of the waypoints).

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."