TB

lesleyr

Hi

I placed a cache and someone placed a TB in it this TB has gone missing I have not seen the TB it is not in the cache now and it has not been logged that someone has picked it up. I reported it missing have I done the right thing

Lesleyr

Hi Lesleyr.

What I would do is wait for a few weeks at least before noting one as missing.

Some people (myself included) may be a little lax at logging caches and TB's.

Also some folks may be on there hols caching and not able to catch up with their logs for several weeks.

Sometimes TB's go missing for months (or years) and then suddenly turn up again. :rolleyes:

Cheers and enjoy the hunt. :D

... yes.

(Probably)

Depending (a bit) on how long you know it has been missing from your cache. I would suggest that if you know definitely that it's not been in your cache for about 3 weeks then it's fair enough to mark it missing. If it's been less than 3 weeks it's just possible that someone picked it up while on holiday and they haven't had time to complete all their logging yet.

It's good that you're keeping a check on trackables in your cache and understand that you have the option to remove them from the Inventory if they're not there - Many cache owners don't realise that they can do this, to keep their cache inventory (fairly) accurate.

MrsB

Hi

I placed a cache and someone placed a TB in it this TB has gone missing I have not seen the TB it is not in the cache now and it has not been logged that someone has picked it up. I reported it missing have I done the right thing

Lesleyr

Are you refering to Hedge-we-go? as I see someone logged a TB out yesterday. I did look into past trackables and see you marked a coin as missing today so I guess you actually mean the coin: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3348854 .

You have done the right thing by marking it as missing, by reading the log book that may help identify who took it, they may have simply forgotten to log it out.

I did spot you put a found log on your cache the normal thing to do is log an owner's maintenance visit or post a note on your own cache :) rather than a find :P

I just reported 9 (more) of our own TBs/geocoins as missing as they have been gone from the caches they were logged in for quite some time and other cachers have noted they were not in the cache. I posted a note on the cache page, to remark that our TB went missing and ask anyone who sees it to log it. Not much else we can do than that.

Some of the coins I have marked as missing in the past have been discovered or grabbed by cachers and it looks as though somebody took these coins without logging, hung on to them for a while & then dropped them in another cache without logging them. Perhaps it takes a while to realise they have someone else's property, and when they realise this they are too embarrassed to admit they (or their child) thought they could keep the coin.