Haunted Locations

There may be a bookmark list of haunted cache locations already, if so I hope someone will point me to it.

If not let's start one!

I have two caches at places which are reputed to be haunted. Do you know of any?

If you want to hide a cache at a haunted location this list might help - http://www.scribd.com/doc/51808251/Haunted-Places-in-the-USA

Mine are:

http://coord.info/GC126

http://coord.info/GCMB22

Oh my gosh, we JUST cached at an old state mental hospital last weekend. It.Was.Creepy! And one cache was in the cemetery where they unceremoniously buried those poor people. That places was HUGE so I'm sure there has to be a few spirits lingering around. I've actually been trying to find a good place that's haunted to hide a cache since my container is sort of spooky.

Thanks for the info!

There is a cache just a bit south of Syracuse, NY called "Watch the 13th Curve" and another one near the area called "Below the Curve". Legend has it that "Over sixty years ago, a brutal, terrifying car accident occurred on Cedarvale Road, in Onondonga, New York, just ten miles southwest of Syracuse. Since that fateful day some six decades ago, it has been said that the road, which is known better by its nickname, “13 Curves,” has been haunted by the souls of those who died in this tragic accident."

Here's a non-geocaching website which describes the legend.

A couple of years ago I attended an event and heard about the 13 Curves cache for the first time. I was talking to a couple of people that had found it and both of them said that they just got a really weird feeling while finding the cache (in the middle of the day) and left the area as soon as they found it.

Oh my gosh, we JUST cached at an old state mental hospital last weekend. It.Was.Creepy! And one cache was in the cemetery where they unceremoniously buried those poor people. That places was HUGE so I'm sure there has to be a few spirits lingering around. I've actually been trying to find a good place that's haunted to hide a cache since my container is sort of spooky.

Thanks for the info!

I had one like that. Dixmont Cemetery Cache

I'm still thinking of resurrecting it from the dead. :P (There were some issues with access through private property, but someone told me those issues were being solved..finally).

Another one in our area is Paranormal Activity Confirmed.

A few others that I've visited:

A Haunted Cabin

and

Haunted Jewish Cemetery

http://coord.info/GC1GKYR Devil's Caching Ground

About the DEVIL'S TRAMPING GROUND

A barren circle in the middle of the forest.One of North Carolina's oldest legends. For hundreds of years, nothing has grown in the eerie 40-ft spot. Locals claim that things left in the ring at night are gone by dawn. Changing very little since it was discovered long ago, even scientists from the Department of Agriculture cannot explain the mysterious Devil's Tramping Ground.

One of my favorites is Old Town Ghost Tour in Albuquerque. If you are ever there, the actual (noncaching) tour is the best I have ever done - from EVP recordings to fascinating stories at every block. There is also a Halloween Haunts series there that takes you to other haunted locations.

Closer to where I live, there is a Haunted Napa series that take you to various sites that are said to be haunted in some way or the other.

Edited by geodarts

Not exactly the same, but related: I have a bookmark list for Caches where dead bodies have been found. I welcome any additions.

Here are a few more:

This was just another P&G but my log explains why this place is actually more interesting.

Hangman's Bridge

and

Stobo's Deadly Secret

On Dec.2, 1958 a man committed suicide by leaping under the wheels of the train.

P&LE Cache

The Article about the suicide

On the hill above this cache is where Flight 427 crashed on Sept.8,1994. My heart still hurts for all of those people. This crash site is only a mile or two from my home.

It's a Creek not a Crick

I've probably got a zillion more. I research history for fun and sometimes it's not pretty.

GC24KTV - the Lemp Mansion

The Lemp Mansion is St. Louis's most famous (and probably only) haunted site. The Lemp family owned a gigantic brewery that still stands (somewhat) in South St. Louis, but competition from Anheuser-Busch (now Imbev) and prohibition shut it down in 1919. It's mostly vacant now, except for some artist studios. The mansion was their house, and is now a hotel. Most of the family committed suicide (4), and the others died young (except for one). Seances have been held and they have "communicated" with one of the members of the family - I believe it was Charles Lemp, the last to live in the house, though I'm not entirely sure and Wikipedia doesn't know. Sad story.

This cache is close to where I live GC1d95D Local Legends : Witch Hunt Near Mannington wv ,The Witches grave on highlands -- They say a long time ago there was a witch and a warlock buried in the church cemetery and the tombs are turned upside down . They say if you go up there late at night you will see glowing in the woods and here strange noises . Many sightings of the witches have been seen . Also it a night cache , It took me two tries to find this cache and I have never seen anything out of the ordinary at this cemetery .

http://www.monsterwax.com/sunland2.html

There was a cache behind this old T.B. hospital. I got there after dark and the building was fenced in ( giant holes in the fence)....broken windows gaped open and all around folks had left surgical masks and gloves about. Behind the building ( unfenced) was an overgrown walking trail to a garden with fountain in the middle...the cache was in the overgrown fountain.

By far the spookiest place I've ever been, cache or otherwise. :o

I was reading this thread last night... looking at the caches and getting goose pimples. The kids were in bed and hubby was at volleyball. Right when I was reading a particularly scary cache... hubby GRABBED me from behind with a "RAWR!" - niiiiice.

:lol: Tell him that HE has to sleep sometime...and you're not responsible for what happens. :bad:

I was reading this thread last night... looking at the caches and getting goose pimples. The kids were in bed and hubby was at volleyball. Right when I was reading a particularly scary cache... hubby GRABBED me from behind with a "RAWR!" - niiiiice.

:lol: Tell him that HE has to sleep sometime...and you're not responsible for what happens. :bad:

Now you're thinkin'!!! :laughing::anibad:

We did this one last fall, I didn't sense any haunting, but it is a cool place - Baby Doll Rooftop GC20K51

This one is nearby - Cry Baby - GC26J3J

Looks like I've got a few more to check out near Halloween. The Baby Doll cache isn't too far from our cabin.

The cache page for the Cry Baby is a bit ambiguous though. The cache owner didn't even bother to explain WHY the area is known by that name. He just put a blurb about how "the locals know why". Well...I'm not local and I want to know WHY! Sheesh.

I haven't completed it yet, but GC2RBCY is a multi that hits lots of alleged haunted places and at least one real crime scene in western Pennsylvania.

This one is real close to where I grew up. I forgot all about "The Green Man", but remember it well. Might be one to check out next time I go home. Maybe even my muggle brother might come since he used was one of the teenagers driving around looking for the Green Man.

I haven't completed it yet, but GC2RBCY is a multi that hits lots of alleged haunted places and at least one real crime scene in western Pennsylvania.

This one is real close to where I grew up. I forgot all about "The Green Man", but remember it well. Might be one to check out next time I go home. Maybe even my muggle brother might come since he used was one of the teenagers driving around looking for the Green Man.

Here's an article about the realGreen Man.

It's really very sad, but kids will be kids.

Edited by wildchld97

Yes kids will be kids, but by the time we came along and the story crossed into Ohio the story had evolved to the point it was a ghost story. I had know idea until I googled it there was in fact someone, a child, who was hurt. Like many teenagers, my brother and frinds were looking for the ghost. My friends and I did other "hunted" places.

We did this one last fall, I didn't sense any haunting, but it is a cool place - Baby Doll Rooftop GC20K51

Looks like I've got a few more to check out near Halloween. The Baby Doll cache isn't too far from our cabin.

The cache page for the Cry Baby is a bit ambiguous though. The cache owner didn't even bother to explain WHY the area is known by that name. He just put a blurb about how "the locals know why". Well...I'm not local and I want to know WHY! Sheesh.

I don't know the exact story about Cry Baby, but supposedly twins are buried in the cemetery, but they are separated and they cry for each other on foggy nights.

I don't know the exact story about Cry Baby, but supposedly twins are buried in the cemetery, but they are separated and they cry for each other on foggy nights.

Thanks for the info!

Curiosity would have killed me at some point. I even tried to Google it and it came up blank.

Yes kids will be kids, but by the time we came along and the story crossed into Ohio the story had evolved to the point it was a ghost story. I had know idea until I googled it there was in fact someone, a child, who was hurt. Like many teenagers, my brother and frinds were looking for the ghost. My friends and I did other "hunted" places.

Oh heck..I have to admit that even I hunted for that elusive green man when I was a kid. However, I searched for him in North Park where he supposedly haunted a tunnel. The legend was that a man was electricuted on that site and he haunts it to this day. The green man legend is everywhere...but Beaver county, Pa had the real deal. :)

Edited by wildchld97

I have a series called Haunted Hides. They are taken from local ghost stories but are not at the actual haunted locations. Two of these caches are located in Harpers Ferry WV. One is at a cemetery where the Harpers rest and the story centers around them. There is a Ghost Tour in town that is raved about in online circles as one of the best. These two caches are taken from those stories. Screamin Jenny and The Harpers. I also have others in the area you can check out.

Also there is a new series coming out that looks really good as far as some of the locations. Haunted WV check out the kick off event at the old state penitentiary.