BUG - real long logs throw an error

regoarrarr

I tried to write a log for Cemetary Ridge

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37102

And it was too long (I think) but submitting it gave me a 500 Internal Server Error. It didn't really say anything that made me think that was the problem except for something that said "String or binary data would be truncated".

I broke it up into 2 logs and it worked fine.

Regoarrarr,

This is not a bug. According to the information that I have from Jeremy, the log length limit is 4000 characters... although I'm quite sure I've made logs longer than that. Anyway, that's a different topic.

If your log is longer that, the site won't accept it and it will throw you to an error page. If you read further down the page, you'll see a line that will read something like "...4234 bytes...". That's how long your log is. There must be some other data that it counts that is not included in the 4000 character limit, because I've had the site accept my log if I trim it down to around 4200.

I wish the limit were set higher, as I don't see any need to limit (within reason) the length of logs.

The options are to trim your log until the site accepts it, or you can break it into two logs like you did.

Jamie