ATTN: Southeast Michigan Geocachers

i_am_geo

[edit: Please ignore that I wrote "desperate plead".... Geez, I'm a journalist, and yet I go and make a dumb typo like that.]

Sorry, I don't mean to "spam" this board. I just have a small favor to ask this community. All I want to do is get in touch with a few geocachers from Southeast Michigan (preferably people from Metro Detroit area) for an article I'm working on. Ultimately, I want to conduct interviews with such people, whether they're done by e-mail or phone (or maybe they could even be done in person, but I understand why some might be reluctant to do that).

A little background: I'm a lowly student at Oakland University writing for the OU News Bureau (ounewsbureau.com), and I've been tasked with writing about the über sport of geoaching. I've gone geocaching myself a few times and I think it's fascinating. Geocaching combines the childhood game of hide 'n' seek with high-tech navigational satellite systems... I mean, how cool is that? The only problem I'm having with my story is finding sources I don't have any prior personal affiliations with. As I'm sure you're aware, the geocaching community is very decentralized. Some of my friends go geocaching, but for ethical reasons I can't just interview them.

So, I'm asking this community for a little help. I truly hope you don't mind.

NOTE: WHATEVER I WRITE WILL MOST LIKELY BE POSTED ON THE OU NEWS BUREAU WEB SITE.

Edited by i_am_geo

Easiest way to get in touch with a bunch of Geocachers (if you don't have a short deadline) would probably be to attend an event. Looking at the calender, there's an event coming up on the 24th (actually a double event) that is near OU:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC309MR

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC309KM

Part of it is a regular event, part of it is a CITO event. That would probably make an interesting article, and a chance to talk with a bunch of Geocachers. There are lots of other events too. (Easiest way to see events, since you aren't a premium member, is to do a cache search by date. Events are listed ahead of time, and the state search is listed by date. So anything beyond the day you are searching will be an event.)