Chirp

What is the best way to place a Chirp. How high off the ground should it be. Should it be placed vertically (on the stump of a tree) or horizontally (out on a limb)? Does placing a layer of camo tape over the beacon hinder it or not? Also, I know you can not place a Chirp in a metal container but how about on a metal pole? I am experimenting with one and I get inconsitent results. Sometimes I can be fairly far away (over 10 meters) and it will signal and other times I can be quite close (2 meters) and nothing will happen and then, finally, it will pick up. I have a Garmin 62s and a Montana 650 and, so far the Montana, does a better job.

Thanks for any help and advice.

:rolleyes:

I've found placing my chirps about 8 ft high on the bottom side of small limbs works best for me. I use camo duct tape to attach them and they look like part of the limb, and even I have trouble spotting them later. My Oregon 550 and 62s pick up signal from about 40-50 ft out, while my Colorado 300 and 400t need to be within 15-20 ft generally.

Thanks for the information. One question: does the cam tape actually cover the chirp? I am thinking it does.

I've found placing my chirps about 8 ft high on the bottom side of small limbs works best for me. I use camo duct tape to attach them and they look like part of the limb, and even I have trouble spotting them later. My Oregon 550 and 62s pick up signal from about 40-50 ft out, while my Colorado 300 and 400t need to be within 15-20 ft generally.

What is the best way to place a Chirp. How high off the ground should it be. Should it be placed vertically (on the stump of a tree) or horizontally (out on a limb)? Does placing a layer of camo tape over the beacon hinder it or not? Also, I know you can not place a Chirp in a metal container but how about on a metal pole? I am experimenting with one and I get inconsitent results. Sometimes I can be fairly far away (over 10 meters) and it will signal and other times I can be quite close (2 meters) and nothing will happen and then, finally, it will pick up. I have a Garmin 62s and a Montana 650 and, so far the Montana, does a better job.

Thanks for any help and advice.

:rolleyes:

There's transmission delay sometimes. Stand in a spot (within 30 feet), and wait about a minute, and it should detect and download in that time. One of my Chirps has a range of about 12 feet, but I'm kinda hoping most have a decent range.

I have a large pad of velcro stuck on top of the Chirp, and use a velcro strip, covered in cloth camo tape, which wraps around the chirp and secures it to a branch. I haven't tested it on metal posts. Design it to be as simple as possible to remove/install, for battery changes.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for the information. One question: does the cam tape actually cover the chirp? I am thinking it does.

Yes, it covers the chirp with a couple wrappings. It doesn't seem to attenuate signal much as I noted above getting it at at a good distance away.

Thanks, that's most helpful.

Yes, it covers the chirp with a couple wrappings. It doesn't seem to attenuate signal much as I noted above getting it at at a good distance away.

Thanks, that's most helpful.

This is some good stuff here about the Chirp. I didn't know you could cover them up that much and still have a good signal.

There are only two Chirp Caches here on Oahu and I just received my order of Chirps and hope to get mine out there very soon. (Had to order me some camo tape from Amazon so that's a hold up there.)

I was examining one of the Chirps here with one of the senior geocachers here and he had placed the chirp in a small ziploc and camo'd it with "Duck Tape" and left just a small area clear of the tape for the Chirp to peak out of the clear plastic window. I couldn't see it until he pointed it out.

Chirps are still so rare here, they aren't found for 3-4 months at a stretch and I hope to change that and get some more out in the community. I hope they catch on more; I think they're really neat.