Bridges

nmcoley

I am fairly new to geocaching but I have found 19 caches with over half being micro. I have tried to locate micros on two different bridges and have come up empty handed both times. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. Or any pointers as to what kind of container would be used to hide something on a bridge. Thank you for any help you maybe able to provide.

There are many reasons for a DNF on a bridge. Here's a log from a bridge cache near here:

"My old explorist 200 had us walking over the brige, under the bridge, around the bridge, and so on. I started sticking my face in the obvious places behind the guardrails, and came face to face with a skunk! Thank God it stayed put while I screamed and ran away like a little girl. We had enough after that one and tore out of there. Thanks anyway, maybe we will be back next year."

In the few years I've been geocaching, I've become very familiar with a bridge or two. Most of the caches I've found on bridges have been (1) under the bridge near a footing, (2) on the bridge somewhere held in place by a magnet, or (3) tucked into a hollow steel beam that is part of the bridge. The ones that don't fall into one of these types are usually very specific to the location.

I recommend becoming very familiar with the bridge. Examine it from all angles. Some caches have been completely hidden while I was on the bridge, but easy to spot when I viewed the bridge from the side or from underneath. Pay attention to irregularities in the structure of the bridge. Why is there an extra beam there? Why is there an extra light there? Why is that bare metal when everything else is painted? That sort of thing.

Good luck!

Sometimes the cache creator is very creative. We had one in our area that was a large nut and bolt that had been hollowed out for a log book and stuck to the bottom of the bridge magnetically. It was in a row of nuts and bolts the same size. You had to notice it was a slightly different color from the rest of the bolts.

You might want to look at the name of the cache again. Sometimes the name itself is a clue.

I also noticed when my son uses a gps'r, they go haywire with all that metal around. Messes with reception or something.

Not on a bridge normally - at least I never had that. A GPS can go crazy in a city with all the metal of the surrounding buildings, that did happen a couple of times...

It's the tall building that interfere with the reception, nt the metal in the buildings.

Sometimes the cache creator is very creative. We had one in our area that was a large nut and bolt that had been hollowed out for a log book and stuck to the bottom of the bridge magnetically. It was in a row of nuts and bolts the same size. You had to notice it was a slightly different color from the rest of the bolts.

You might want to look at the name of the cache again. Sometimes the name itself is a clue.

Yes! Why are there five bolts here. Hmmm...