Cannot load site using Mozilla Firebird

txtnkrmn

I generally use just the regular Mozilla browser for the site, and haven't had any problems.

Seeing your post though, I fired up a copy of Firebird that I downloaded last week. The main page came up fine, but when I clicked on "My Cache Page," it crashed. If I remember correctly, gc.com was the first page I tried to load when I downloaded the browser, and it immediately crashed (not the effect you want when trying out a browser that's so highly touted.) So you're not the only one.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

quote:
Originally posted by txtnkrmn:

I am using the Mozilla firebird browser and for some reason, Geocaching.com crashes it each time.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

I haven't had any trouble with any other site.

I've been using Firebird for the last two months on both Windows and Linux, and I've had no problems with the site. What version of Firebird are you running?

Put that fweakin' sandwich down!

The other machine (windows 2000) has been running Mozilla 1.3.1 for a while and accessed geocaching.com just fine.

Today, I tried to upgrade it to 1.4. *crash*. Every time. Like GatoRX, gc.com was the first page that loaded ... instant crash. I didn't make the connection.

I tried 1.5rc1. *CRASH*. Tried a 1.4.1 nightly. *CRASH*. Tried Firebird 0.6.1 ... worked for a while, then *CRASH*.

Seems like I'll have to dig out my old 1.3.1 install file, or take the plunge and run the nightly build for a while.

(Mozilla and Firebird both work flawlessly on the site under Linux from the other computer, for what it's worth).

Same with me here. I use Mozilla 1.5RC1, and it crashes any time I call the starting page. I start from a page deeper within, no problem. Click on Main Page, crash. It didn't happen with Mozilla 1.4 which I used before. BTW, there is no Java on the starting page, only JavaScript. And BTW, W3C Validator spits out about 160 errors... (after manual insertion of doctype and character encoding). Dug further into it: when I browse a local copy of the page, Mozilla won't crash. My guess is it has something to do with those gadgety image rollover, but I haven't found the actual source of the problem icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by geogenes:

Same with me here. I use Mozilla 1.5RC1, and it crashes any time I call the starting page. I start from a page deeper within, no problem. Click on Main Page, crash. It didn't happen with Mozilla 1.4 which I used before. BTW, there is no Java on the starting page, only JavaScript. And BTW, http://validator.w3.org/ spits out about 160 errors... (after manual insertion of doctype and character encoding). Dug further into it: when I browse a local copy of the page, Mozilla won't crash. My guess is it has something to do with those gadgety image rollover, but I haven't found the actual source of the problem

I'm using Mozilla 1.5a with no problems.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Since it is a beta application I really can't spend much time sorting out the problem. Once it is out of beta and the errors continue, I'll look into it.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

The problem isn't so much that Firebird crashes (that's firebird's problem, not yours ... the application should be able to handle invalid input without crashing, and sure enough the latest nightly does just that).

Rather, the problem seems to be that the home page doesn't follow the HTML specification, which pretty much makes it a moving target as far as any browser is concerned. If you can work towards fixing up the HTML so it's compliant with the spec then problems like this should become less frequent.

(just my opinion)

I've been using 0.6.1 milestone for some time now, with the only issue being posting to these forums occasionally. Nightly builds are for testers, and Anyone using one should expect any number of weird problems and know who to report them to and how.

I had a friend try out Mozilla (regular) and tell me that he hated it, thought it was still way to buggy, and was going back to Opera. When I investigated what version he was trying, it turned out he was using a nightly build of the *alpha* version for the next major release. Well, duh! His justification was he wanted the absolute latest stuff. He's now a total Firebird convert, as am I.

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves

-- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------