Wooden box geocache?

Hi gang!

I have a small, wooden box that I really want to use as a geocache. I'm wondering if I use waterproof paint inside and outside (to seal it) if you think that would work. It doesn't have to stay perfect, but I'd like it to last awhile. I'm thinking of putting a bison tube inside for the log I just think this box is awesome and I reeeeeeally want to use it.

Thanks!

Hi gang!

I have a small, wooden box that I really want to use as a geocache. I'm wondering if I use waterproof paint inside and outside (to seal it) if you think that would work. It doesn't have to stay perfect, but I'd like it to last awhile. I'm thinking of putting a bison tube inside for the log I just think this box is awesome and I reeeeeeally want to use it.

Thanks!

It can "age" outdoors, which is probably fine. Wood can warp, crack, and get soaked and moldy, but may last a little longer if sealed first. Are the fittings (hinges, etc.) stainless steel? If they're brass and corrode, they'll break, and you'll end up with a box in two halves. It's a fun "treasure chest", and out of the ordinary, but may need a little more upkeep than an ordinary plastic one. I think your idea is fine, and you should try it.

I have found more than a few wooden box containers here in AZ, and they usually work out fine in a sheltered location.

In your area, the results will probably be different. Sealing the wood is a good idea, and having a secondary container inside is almost a necessity.

Whatever you do to it, wood was meant to return to the earth...so don't be surprised or disappointed when it does.

Here is an idea, get the container ready, put a piece of paper in it, and put it in your back yard for a while and see how it holds out. If I was going to use a custom/modified container, I personally would probably give it a long field test. I know an area where I could leave a test container out out for a long time without worrying that anyone will bother it. For a wood container, having a more traditional container inside does sound like a good idea. I've seen a wood birdhouse with an ammo can inside it before.

Here is an idea, get the container ready, put a piece of paper in it, and put it in your back yard for a while and see how it holds out. If I was going to use a custom/modified container, I personally would probably give it a long field test. I know an area where I could leave a test container out out for a long time without worrying that anyone will bother it. For a wood container, having a more traditional container inside does sound like a good idea. I've seen a wood birdhouse with an ammo can inside it before.

Really good idea, thanks!

Hi gang!

Thanks!

If you want to protect the wood, consider use a two part epoxy resin. If you've ever seen a wood canoe or kayak that what is used to seal the wood. Two part epoxy resin can be found in any good marine store or be purchased on line. West Systems, System 3, and Raka are three epoxy resin makers that can be found online. I've bought fairly large quantities for building a cedar strip kayak but you can find them in smaller quantities and you can also mix up a fairly small batch at a time. Once the box is sealed with epoxy resin, it can be sanded smooth (wear a dusk mask!) and then a couple of coats of varnish applied. The varnish not only gives it a glossy finish but it also provides UV protection. For a cedar strip canoe or kayak a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth cover the entire boat prior to using the epoxy resin but it becomes transparent. Although you can seal the wood, the box will only be as waterproof as the seal you use to get into the box. There are a few options but if you're just going to put a bison tube inside just having a top so that it closes tightly will probably be enough.