How much info is too much?

Rckhnd

Recently I have placed a 5X5 hide and have already recieved several e-mails asking for more info. All the 5X5s I have looked at are incredibly difficult to get. It seems they usually require some specialized equipment that I don't have, so I wanted to hide one that didn't require any. I ended up finding a place that was hard to get to and actually required me to do a belly crawl for about 30 yards to place it.

Now I have updated the listing to provide directions to the cache that will get finders within that 30 yards, not to mention the coordinates. I don't want to lose the 5X5 listing, so I was wondering if that is too much info? Signal is pretty good at GZ. Should I go on to describe the container? It's got a great camo job and was made to hide in the spot I placed it.

I'm a relative newbie, but in my opinion, a 5x5 should be fiendishly difficult to find, so I think even the hints you've already provided may be too much. Although I didn't think you could put a 5 for terrain unless some equipment was needed.

The terrain at GZ isn't real steep, but no way can anybody just walk up to it.

It's up to the cache owner how much info is given.

As you say, give too much and the difficulty will go down.

http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

Difficulty

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

A D5/T5 may require special equipment, not necessarily does require!

Should I go on to describe the container? It's got a great camo job and was made to hide in the spot I placed it.

I wouldn't describe the container, if I were you. That's part of what makes it a Difficulty 5, isn't it?

A lot of people wait until a find has been logged before they add hints to the cache page. And some people won't give email hints until the people asking for hints have posted their DNF's.

Edited by Pup Patrol

It's only jusy been published!

I'd give it a week or two to be found, before giving any clues. B)

Think I'd be tempted to make 'Additional Waypoints' for this part:

The safer route is to go PAST the cache and make a left turn just north of the cache onto a dirt road. Follow this dirt road and take a left turn at the fork. Now, what DOES NOT show on the map is another additional old, overgrown left turn. If you drive a beater, then drive on in...
Edited by Bear and Ragged

If you want it to be tough and truely a 5/5 you don't have to provide any details. you could just list coords and the description could say "good luck".

If people think they need more info then maybe they are not ready for your challenge.

Too many potentially good challenges end up getting watered down to make them "possible" instead of letting cachers use all of their wit and dexterity. (For those of you low on wit or dexterity I suggest you go do those new challenges.... :)

Are the coords 30 yards away from the cache? If so you have increased the difficulty in a way that isn't really in line with the spirit of a 5/5 cache. If I gave you coords that are that far off a bright yellow trash can could be a 5/5 in some northwest forest. Raising difficulty by publishing soft coords is pretty much frowned on by most of the cachers I know.

If I misunderstood your OP then ignore my post. :P

Don't give them any thing !!!

Put if the cache is 30 yards away from the cords ( I'm guessing your going under ground maybe pipe or cave)

As long as you lead them to where they can use there gps anymore and it's not like a big big cave or something I don't see anything wrong with it

I certainly hope that the cache isn't 30 yards from the posted coords. By definition a traditional cache is located at the posted coords. Moving it 90-100' away to make it harder isn't the way it should be done.

Are the coords 30 yards away from the cache? If so you have increased the difficulty in a way that isn't really in line with the spirit of a 5/5 cache. If I gave you coords that are that far off a bright yellow trash can could be a 5/5 in some northwest forest. Raising difficulty by publishing soft coords is pretty much frowned on by most of the cachers I know.

If I misunderstood your OP then ignore my post. :P

Nope, the coords are spot on, no fuzzy numbers other than the usual satellite drift.

and actually required me to do a belly crawl for about 30 yards to place it

I think that is cool if it is a place that is relatively easy to get to. Sounds fun! I might go a few times to make the find. I have one I want to do with my daughter that is a long kayak ride over ruff waters. If we took the time to make the trip there I would hope we could actually find the cache. Even if it took some time but be possible to do on that trip. I would not want to spend a day trying to find it to come up empty but if the place is fairly easy to get to then I would leave it how it is. There is one that is not that hard for us to get to that is underwater and we couldn't find. I cant wait to go back to find it. I think that is cool but would not want to have to do the day trip over to get to it again.

-WarNinjas