BBC: The Code

So what's this The Code program anyway?

Basically a Maths programme shown last month on BBC2, with an accompanying puzzle challenge on the website. Fairly lightweight, but still good to see some Maths on the Telly. And the main puzzle that followed (and in which Helen was one of 3 "winners") was anything but lightweight! Follow the link in my original post to the BBC website, which will tell you more about it.

I'll be tuning in :)

Too late! It was only a 3 part series (though I'm sure it will be repeated at some point). And there is some word of them filming at least part of the "finale", I believe.

Edited by milvus-milvus

Thanks for the best wishes. In the event I came last of the three in the finale and while I could make excuses (I already knew I would probably not do well because of the sprint format, the nature of the puzzles and quite early on realising I left the recognition centre of my brain at home), I was beaten fair and square and can take nothing away from the eventual winner, Pete, and the other finalist, Dave. In the end I am frustrated with myself but satisfied as I managed to solve the puzzle book (the route to being one of the three finalists) before anyone else (if only by a few hours) and managed the last few stages of solving it without discussion.

It was certainly a good experience and a pleasure to meet the team involved (including Marcus du Sautoy) and the other two finalists. You can still see clips of the TV show online and go through the first stages of the puzzle solving process. They will be releasing an updated (error-free) version of the puzzle book PDF with a short online film of the finale (which I am not really looking forward to seeing to be honest because I think I will come out looking stupid!) in the coming weeks. I would expect the 3 TV shows to be repeated at some point.

I even managed some caching in the half an hour I had spare near London Euston before the (sort of unexpected) train ride to Bletchley, including a puzzle cache solved the night before of course :rolleyes:

Helen

Edited by Dobunnis