Event Cache Participation Question

C-C-C

In most cases most events require you to make an appearance, in some cases games are part of the event. I have made a couple events where i was trying to get more people to participate versus people showing up in the last 20 minutes or people who show up sign and leave. As I assume all event caches are suppose to have logs, am i able to make the Event log a part of a game where people must complete the game to build a coordinate in order to sign the event log. I would make this clear on the cache page plus the terrain and Difficulty would reflect the nature of the beast. Is this acceptable?

Event caches are not, IMO, physical cache so the guidelines section for logging physical cache would not apply. I'm not sure that tying signing the event log book to logging an attended log will be appreciated. Many people attend events and never notice there is a sign in sheet or log book. My guess in that people will be unhappy if they can't log they attended just because you had a sign sheet. So you're even more likely to upset someone by tying signing the log book to an activity and deny people their attended log because they didn't participate.

There are no guidelines for events so you might get away with this. But you will get a reputation now for being manipulative and controlling. Geocaching is fun. Events are suppose to be fun. Cache owners and event host should delete logs because they are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate; not because they get some kick out of deleting logs. A find is not a prize the cache owner gives out. The find is the record of caches have or events attended. Perhaps you can turn it into a prize you give to people for playing your game. It won't make the game any more fun and it won't make anyone whose log you delete happy. My guess though is that if someone were to complains about their attended log be deleted (particular if they can prove they were at the event) that Groundspeak would reinstate their log.

Here in Arizona, most (if not all) of our events actually have a log to be signed.

In some cases actually getting to the log can be rather a challenge.

In one notorious case I was not able to (for mostly medical reasons) find and sign the log.

The beginning of the end of my desire to do multi-day camp-out events.

Personally, I think if someone shows their face, they should be allowed to post an 'Attended'.

If they choose not to stay and socialize, it's their loss.

Back east, events are logged multiple times to reflect temporary caches found that were placed for the event, which is the opposite end of the spectrum.

I understand that you may have made some effort to create 'fun' activities for the attendees, but your idea of 'fun' may not be the same as everyone else's.

If the event was a 1/1 I would except a show up and get the smile, but what if the event was a 2.5/4 and the game involved was a poker run? So you list a coord as the starting point and a end game point. Isn't it implied that the event is focused on the poker run? Not a quick smile.

If the event was a 1/1 I would except a show up and get the smile, but what if the event was a 2.5/4 and the game involved was a poker run? So you list a coord as the starting point and a end game point. Isn't it implied that the event is focused on the poker run? Not a quick smile.

NOpe. An event is a get together. Attend event. Sign log if available and required. Anything else is ALR. Events with required 'geocaching run' have been denied in the past. It's an event. Stop by and say Hi = attended. Any othr requirements are ALR.

Not certain if an event can have an ALR or not (obviously signing the log is not an ALR)...

If someone posted an event in my area requiring me to take part in ANY particular activity set up for the event, I would not go near it. (regardless of how much I may, or may not enjoy the activity)

Just last Saturday, I attended a 'hiking event', but the owner (properly) included a statement that NOBODY needed to complete the hike in order to log an 'Attended'.

Not certain if an event can have an ALR or not (obviously signing the log is not an ALR)...

If someone posted an event in my area requiring me to take part in ANY particular activity set up for the event, I would not go near it. (regardless of how much I may, or may not enjoy the activity)

Just last Saturday, I attended a 'hiking event', but the owner (properly) included a statement that NOBODY needed to complete the hike in order to log an 'Attended'.

I would think this is why I would do that AZcachemeister, trying to weed out the ones who would bring he event down.

I don't mind participating in activities at an event. But I wouldn't want to be feel like I had to play the games in order to attend the event. I like some games and don't like others. I'd rather be able to pick and choose the games. I'm not a really competitive person and games tend to make me uncomfortable. But I do like to socialize here and there which is why I go to these things.

I also bring my mom who may not be able to physically do the games and I'm not going to leave her behind if she can't do it.

That being said if the cache page and terrain and difficulty ratings reflect that this would not be an appropriate event for me to enjoy I'll pass on it no big deal.

I would think this is why I would do that AZcachemeister, trying to weed out the ones who would bring he event down.

So, by that logic, I should be able to post an event in Yosemite requiring participants to climb El Capitan?

Perhaps an event requiring a 120 mile bike ride would be more in order?

Innumerable possibilities.

All equally redonkulous.

"Weed out the ones who would bring the event down" ??? :o That sounds so wrong in so many ways.

In most cases most events require you to make an appearance, in some cases games are part of the event. I have made a couple events where i was trying to get more people to participate versus people showing up in the last 20 minutes or people who show up sign and leave. As I assume all event caches are suppose to have logs, am i able to make the Event log a part of a game where people must complete the game to build a coordinate in order to sign the event log. I would make this clear on the cache page plus the terrain and Difficulty would reflect the nature of the beast. Is this acceptable?

Yep, perfectly acceptable. Let it be and get over yourself.

I hosted a "paddle event" this summer. However, I stated that there was no requriemnet to paddle. If a person showed up for the pre-paddle coffee & donuts or post-paddle picnic lunch, they were able to log an "Attended".

The event that I'm hosting does require those to deposit their names in a box in order to log the event. However, it's to their benefit because that same box will be used for a raffle of some really cool prizes.

I honestly don't care whether they participate in the group photo because the whole purpose is just to have a little bit of fun. Just by being AT the event is participation enough for me. I do want to make sure that only those that came to the event be able to log it as attended though.

I think you just blew any chance at support for your idea with this statement. I know you lost mine. Maybe you would do better to just schedule the activity with your cool friends and not even post it as a geocaching event?

I realize you are trying to establish some standards but cachers are pretty laid back as a rule. If you did that some people would log attended and when you deleted the log would say they didn't read the rules and didn't know there was any extra requirement. They just saw it come up as an event and stopped by.

There are some who will always make the 10 minute stop by for the log with no intention to participate.

I think it is best to let well enough alone and not worry about it.

Check my signature.

So if the even was a Geocaching trip to Artic Circle, listed as a multi day event and as a 5/5. you post meeting coords and 25 people show up at the meeting coords to where only 10 actually go to the artic circle all 25 should get an atended log?
Why list it as a multi-day event? Just list it as an event with posted coordinates at the arctic circle. List the meeting (parking) coordinates, coordinate the group trip to the event location, and make whatever other arrangements you want. But the event is at the arctic circle, and only those who reach the event location have attended it.

Of course, once they're attending the event, you can't force them to play the party games, no matter how crucial you think the party games are to the event experience.

So, by that logic, I should be able to post an event in Yosemite requiring participants to climb El Capitan?
I'm pretty sure you could. Here's a similar type of event that recently was held in my region.
Yep. The example cited by CanadianRockies is an event that was held at Cameron Lookout. If you don't make the hike to Cameron Lookout (12-13 km round trip with 800-900m elevation gain), then you can't attend the event.

Likewise, if the event is at the top of El Capitan, then you can't attend the event unless you reach the top of El Capitan. How you reach the top of El Capitan is up to you, although the event organizers might offer suggestions and coordinate a group trip to the event site.

Don't get me wrong it's not that I want to weed people out. The type of event i want to host is a repelling event. I want to put the event container on the rock face so those who repell will be able to sign it and not the people who crowd the ledge getting in my way of making the event safe for everyone. In the past such events have brought in 50 people where only 20 actually did it. I'm not asking people to buy gear, i'm asking them to give it a try. I want to give it a 1/5 terrain to reward those willing and draw more interest, but not reward the onlookers. We do the same thing for boy scouts and girl scouts except giving smiles we give badges. Also another POV, what about someone who shows up to a CITO event and doesn't pick up trash. This is an event where you expected to complete something.

Don't get me wrong it's not that I want to weed people out. The type of event i want to host is a repelling event. I want to put the event container on the rock face so those who repell will be able to sign it and not the people who crowd the ledge getting in my way of making the event safe for everyone. In the past such events have brought in 50 people where only 20 actually did it. I'm not asking people to buy gear, i'm asking them to give it a try. I want to give it a 1/5 terrain to reward those willing and draw more interest, but not reward the onlookers. We do the same thing for boy scouts and girl scouts except giving smiles we give badges. Also another POV, what about someone who shows up to a CITO event and doesn't pick up trash. This is an event where you expected to complete something.

So rate the event a 5 in terrain. Explain your cache page the event is being held at the bottom of a rappel and only those who make the rappel can log it. We have an event here that's a paddle, hiking, biking event (or have not sure where it was this year). That's kind of what the event is. But it's all clearly stated on the event page what the event is and the times and what not. People thusly can make and informed decision on if they're interested in that kind of event or not.

The few of us where I am that cache and who got to events do so to meet up with friends. We are there to have a good time with each other. Personally I would feel like the worlds biggest turd if I tossed a log book somewhere inaccessible to my friends in this community and said well thanks for showing up but because you didn't make it to the log book you can't sign it. I think I would alienate a lot of people doing that which is not why I go to or hold events personally but to each their own.

I had a CITO event this past summer and we did have one person stay behind who was not as mobile as the rest of us to watch the purses and picnic stuff. If she logged things online I would have had absolutely no problem letting her log that event as she participated to the best of her ability.

It's your event, so presumably you can delete any logs of those that didn't participate.

That said, the events page on the site states "Local geocachers and geocaching organizations often designate a time and location to meet and discuss geocaching. These get-togethers are listed as Event Caches on Geocaching.com. Anyone is welcome to attend Event Caches. They are great way to meet your fellow geocachers and you can even earn a smiley by logging the event." Another page in the guidelines also suggests that they be open to anyone, and as far as I know there isn't anything in guidelines which indicates what the criteria is for posting an "Attended" log, but the guidelines suggested that they're not restrictive.

Depending on what your local community is like you might not have issues with a stipulation that participating in the event as intended is required for posting an "Attended" log. Of course, the easy solution is to just make it a 1.5* terrain event and invite everyone to attend. I've seen other threads where someone mentioned just showing up an event for some minimum amount of time and then leaving (to attend another event, or just do something else). Frankly, I find just "showing up" to get the smiley misses the whole point of events and is pretty tacky.

How about you actually publish that cache as a cache. Also have the event, where you can give the instructions and gear for anyone who wants to try to reach the cache. Then the onlookers will get 1 smiley, the successful will get 2 smileys, and everyone can have a good time and enjoy it to the best of their abilities.

My personal opinion is that participation should not be required for an event.

Using the example CanadianRockies gave, the hike was the most pracxtical ways to get to the event location, although someone could have chartered a helicopter and made it that way.

If someone made it to the event and decided not to join in the hunt for the survey marker or get into the group photo, it doesn't diminish their attendance.

If I host a meet n' greet at a local pub and someone doesn't have a beer and sits in the corner and doesn't talk to anyone it doesn't mean they didn't attend.

I'm not sure what I gain as a event organizer by forcing people to do something to claim their Attended log.

A few weeks ago I held a 5/5 back country canoeing/camping event. My hope was that those who logged an Attended would attend all three days - everyone did. But if someone was injured or felt they couldn't have made the entire trip - then the decision was in their hands as to whether or not they logged an Attended. I'm not here to police the actions of other cachers. Would I have been disappointed if someone showed up at the posted co-ordinates (the parking lot) and said, "Well I was here, have fun, I'm going home now to log my Attended"? Of course I would. Would such actions be frowned upon by those who participated - I suspect yes. Would I lose any sleep over it? Not one bit.

Plan your event to the best of your abilities and make it as memorable as possible for those who want to participate in it. The logs you receive from those individuals will more than make up for those logs from folks who stay at the top and don't experience the thrill of repelling down the cliff face.

HEY! That's great, and just up my alley.

Put the container with the log in the middle of the rappel.

No sign, no find...err, attended.

Of course you will then need to teach them how to stop safely in mid-rappel.

If you make this clear in the writeup, I can't see how anyone could complain.

I am with the attend event, sign log group. When we when to our first event which was two hours away from our house we got wrong directions and ended up at event very late. Event was only a 30 minute meet and greet and then off to geocache at local park. We met some people that we are still in contact with, got a great piece of info on a gps that was on sale, dropped off TB's and picked up TB's, all in about 10 to 15 minutes. We did follow behind the group because we were late and did find some of the local caches in the park. We were very appreciative of the event people who went out of there way to greet us, give us info, gave us the log book to sign etc. For us the disaster of being late turned into a great experience and a great geo-caching day from that time forward. In the end it is a game. Make it fun!!!

I am with the attend event, sign log group. When we when to our first event which was two hours away from our house we got wrong directions and ended up at event very late. Event was only a 30 minute meet and greet and then off to geocache at local park. We met some people that we are still in contact with, got a great piece of info on a gps that was on sale, dropped off TB's and picked up TB's, all in about 10 to 15 minutes. We did follow behind the group because we were late and did find some of the local caches in the park. We were very appreciative of the event people who went out of there way to greet us, give us info, gave us the log book to sign etc. For us the disaster of being late turned into a great experience and a great geo-caching day from that time forward. In the end it is a game. Make it fun!!!

The type of event i want to host is a repelling event.

This was repelling:

Anyway...

So, if I come to your event and belay for those who are rappelling, and help serve the refreshments, and generally have a good time and help others have a good time, you'll delete my attended log if I didn't actually rappel? Even if I have a physical or psychological disability that makes it impossible for me to rappel?

And on top of that, you'll want to "weed me out," for "bringing the event down?"

Really?

This whole thread is sort of repelling.

I put out a log book for people to sign at my events...but, I still take them for their word when they log an event. Course, all my events have been local cachers that a know and very easy for me to know if someone was there or not.

I have seen caches that offered "additional" smilies for certain things; for instance, the cache was a plastic model airplane. Name the type of plane in your log (or in a PM) and log the cache twice. If you just show up sign the log and leave, you get a smilie but you pass on the opportunity to get the extra. Would that satisfy your concerns?

The type of event i want to host is a repelling event.

This was repelling:

Anyway...

So, if I come to your event and belay for those who are rappelling, and help serve the refreshments, and generally have a good time and help others have a good time, you'll delete my attended log if I didn't actually rappel? Even if I have a physical or psychological disability that makes it impossible for me to rappel?

And on top of that, you'll want to "weed me out," for "bringing the event down?"

Really?

This whole thread is sort of repelling.

You'd certainly be "Letting down" your fellow cachers...

:lol:

So if the even was a Geocaching trip to Artic Circle, listed as a multi day event and as a 5/5. you post meeting coords and 25 people show up at the meeting coords to where only 10 actually go to the artic circle all 25 should get an atended log?

I'm hosting a night paddle event in October. The coordinates for the event are at a place that would require either a vessel of some sort, a kinda long hike followed by a swim, or a lengthy hike through a closed wilderness area and a few fence hops. Though the event is set up to get folks paddling, I would have no problem allowing an attended log from anyone who showed up at the posted coords, regardless of how they got there. But if someone showed up at the launch site, or the landing, and posted an attended, that might twist my knickers a bit, though I wouldn't delete the log or even question it. If they felt their level of participation was sufficient, I will follow Walt's forum signature and let it ride. B)

Event caches just like the rest of the game have changed over the years. In the past if you wanted to do a hiking cache then it was denied (not published) they were supposed to be for all geocachers to discuss caching (meet & greet). Now when ever I have a hiking event I'll leave it a 1 x 1 have a meet and greet for all. Then the hike is open to those that want to hike. So if you have a walker or wheelchair you are more than welcome to attend the event and get your smiley. After that it is up to the hikers to play all day.

At one of my events, I spent 2 hours setting up all my gear, provided drinks and food. Hide the event log on the cliff. I just about every piece of gear needed to get ANYONE down regardless of their physical ability. The temps were in their upper 90's, 3 of my friends manned the ropes, gear and made sure everyone was safe. Someone stops by for 10 minutes takes 4 pictures from a parking lot, leaves and posted a attended log. Event was rated a 1/5 and states must repel to log in large black letters with orange background. So 38 people follow the guidelines, 1 does not. So now I have about 15 people mad at me for not deleting his log and 1 person because i asked him to change his log. It's not turning into a win:win.

So now I have about 15 people mad at me for not deleting his log and 1 person because i asked him to change his log.

Sounds like those 15 people are the ones with the problem, not you. If you'll excuse the oversimplification; Imagine I did a 5/5 cache. Something truly challenging to my abilities. Short of a blow to the head, or possibly some physical/mental ailments brought on later in life, the memory of that find will be with me till I die. If some guy logs a find on that same cache, without actually conquering whatever challenge made it a 5/5, (say, for argument's sake, a very difficult puzzle cache, way up on a cliff, comes loose and he stumbles across it laying at the bottom), that log in no way detracts from my experience. I would not be angry with the cache owner if they let the log stand.

You might also ask yourself; "How much do I want to control the actions of others?" :unsure:

At one of my events, I spent 2 hours setting up all my gear, provided drinks and food. Hide the event log on the cliff. I just about every piece of gear needed to get ANYONE down regardless of their physical ability. The temps were in their upper 90's, 3 of my friends manned the ropes, gear and made sure everyone was safe. Someone stops by for 10 minutes takes 4 pictures from a parking lot, leaves and posted a attended log. Event was rated a 1/5 and states must repel to log in large black letters with orange background. So 38 people follow the guidelines, 1 does not. So now I have about 15 people mad at me for not deleting his log and 1 person because i asked him to change his log. It's not turning into a win:win.

However big and black the letters and however orange the background if you can't spell rappel some attendees are going to have a nasty surprise.

BTW it's actually spelt abseil ;)

All equally redonkulous.

You could hold the event at the top and list those coordinates.. but if someone drops in via a glider or jet pack you'd need to let them sign the log too.

So now I have about 15 people mad at me for not deleting his log and 1 person because i asked him to change his log.

Sounds like those 15 people are the ones with the problem, not you. If you'll excuse the oversimplification; Imagine I did a 5/5 cache. Something truly challenging to my abilities. Short of a blow to the head, or possibly some physical/mental ailments brought on later in life, the memory of that find will be with me till I die. If some guy logs a find on that same cache, without actually conquering whatever challenge made it a 5/5, (say, for argument's sake, a very difficult puzzle cache, way up on a cliff, comes loose and he stumbles across it laying at the bottom), that log in no way detracts from my experience. I would not be angry with the cache owner if they let the log stand.

You might also ask yourself; "How much do I want to control the actions of others?" :unsure:

Completely agree, i have only deleted a couple logs in my life. All of those who failed to answer the questions on an earthcache.

So the final analysis is:

Continue to hold your activity-centric events, enjoying the fact that some will participate in the activity, and tolerating those who just show up for their smiley.

or

Don't hold such events, since you are not getting what YOU wanted out of them.

Or, hold your events but list them on a site that better matches the activity. Not everything has to be a geocaching event.

All equally redonkulous.

112 mile ride would be enough as long as it was sandwiched between a 2.4 mile swim and 26.2 mile run. (although in all seriousness I believe that this year there were several events around the RAGBRAI start and towns it went through(450 + mile bike ride across Iowa))

I think just coming to the even should be enough. More and more events are being held at coffee shops, restaurants etc and if I don't choose to patronize that business I may come in, spend some time talking to attendees and than move on allowing the space for a paying customer. I can think of a recent event our family attended at restaurant. Three other geocachers who we had never met or found any caches they hid were present. We had eaten at the hotel that morning and didn't feel the need to eat again and 10 am on Sunday was a little early to imbibe. So we said hi, spent a few awkward moments making small talk and than excused ourselves so we weren't taking up space that a paying customer might occupy. I had not issues logging the event. We attended, signed the "log"/sign in sheet and that should be all that was required.

Maybe you should just have an event with your local rock climbing group instead of trying to make a geocaching event into a rock climber event. Remember that the people you invite are geocachers, not professional (or even amateur) rock climbers.

With the price of gas these days, isn't it enough that cachers are willing to give their time and spend their gas money to come out and check out your event and activities? Are you really going to alienate possible caching friends just because they won't make the journey down the rock face??

You may just spark someone's interest enough that they get into rock climbing later on, even if they don't feel comfortable with participating in a big group event. Especially with your description of how some people can "crowd the ledge getting in my way of making the event safe", that doesn't sound like a good way to encourage a newbie climber to participate.

I know that if I were to attend such an event and saw that the ledge was crowded or less than what I would consider safe, even if I were interested in the activity, I would probably prefer to try it at another time when the ledge was not crowded and more safe. I would still expect to be able to log the event as attended and not have my log deleted just because I made a decision to try the activity at another time when I felt more safe doing it. You may just even alienate a newbie climber this way as well. You don't want to make it come off as rock climbers are unfriendly and demanding of others.

Why does anyone not participating in the actual climb "bring the event down"? Having more people attend the event and get some exposure to the activity somehow "brings it down"??

I think that speaks more to your feelings about it than others. Just because you can't force someone to try the activity you shouldn't delete their log for attending and checking it out.

If you want to reward people for making the effort, put a cache there and delete logs from anyone who doesn't actually sign the cache log. Then you know they made the repell or climb.

Do you actually have to see them do it for yourself (during your event) to be satisfied?

That just sounds too controlling for me.

Geocacing events should be fun to attend and be about connecting with other cachers. Activities at the event should be optional, especially if there is ANY safety aspect involved.

I know that if I were to host such an event and REQUIRE someone to do a dangerous activity and they were injured doing it I would feel horrible. Such activities should always be OPTIONAL and at the participant's own judgment whether to do it or not. They shouldn't be made to feel unwelcome if they don't take the risk.

So we said hi, spent a few awkward moments making small talk and than excused ourselves so we weren't taking up space that a paying customer might occupy. I had not issues logging the event. We attended, signed the "log"/sign in sheet and that should be all that was required.

It didn't sound like that was much fun for you. Why even bother going to such an event?

So we said hi, spent a few awkward moments making small talk and than excused ourselves so we weren't taking up space that a paying customer might occupy. I had not issues logging the event. We attended, signed the "log"/sign in sheet and that should be all that was required.

It didn't sound like that was much fun for you. Why even bother going to such an event?

Maybe this answers the question

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e7f5ca0c-3c13-4c19-8ad8-0ad558aa5396

Wouldn't that be considered ALR or puzzle cache, NOT event.

if i show up, scratch my name in the log, im logging it.