Thorns

simplysup

I've one in my palm I can't get out...then it went septic :(

The doc didnt really want to know apart from antibiotics so I've just got to wait till it works itself out....

My dad (86) has got one in his hand about half an inch long that he got when he was a nipper, the doc didn't want to remove it 'cos it was near the nerves & tendons for his fingers and they didn't want to risk damaging anything, so if he's anything to go by you could be in for a long wait :huh:

2pm Saturday afternoon, out caching with a crowd (Oxford event last September...). Put my hand into a hawthorn bush to get a cache out and got a thorn in the knuckle of my thumb. Hurt a lot, swore a bit and sucked the thumb for a bit..... Couldn't see anything apart from a miniscule red mark.

4pm thumb is a bit sore and red.

5pm thumb is really sore and redder

6pm hand is red and sore so decided to go to the A&E.

Doc x-rays it and says nothing in there but it's either an allergic reaction or infection so onto anti-bios.

11pm hand still really sore and red up to the wrist. Got back to hotel just as the party was winding up. Everyone says, "where did you go?"

So, dig it out or not. Definitely yes! But in my case it left something behind :(

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

1. Don't get medical advice from internet forums.

2. Near me at Mount Vernon Hospital, they have a thing called the "Small injuries unit". I went there recently for my dog bite, and I went there recently for a thorn under a fingernail (ouch!). They dealt with each of those quickly and effectively, although I did need to lend the nurse my needle-nose tweezers for the thorn. There's probably a "Small injuries unit" near you.

My dad (86) has got one in his hand about half an inch long that he got when he was a nipper, the doc didn't want to remove it 'cos it was near the nerves & tendons for his fingers and they didn't want to risk damaging anything, so if he's anything to go by you could be in for a long wait :huh:

Didn't think it would take that long! I had a bit of glass in may hand as a youngster and that took several years to come out.

I went there recently for a thorn under a fingernail (ouch!). They dealt with each of those quickly and effectively, although I did need to lend the nurse my needle-nose tweezers for the thorn. There's probably a "Small injuries unit" near you.

Done that as a kid too...ouch!!