Lazy logs

AZAppels

Maybe this is something that only bothers me but has anyone noticed the increasing number of logs that have no description of the loggers experience.

It seems it is mainly from relatively new cachers but they will log "TFTC" or "logged from my iphone" when reporting the find.

Cachers have taken some time to create the cache, come up with a clever container only to have the lazy logger report "TFTC". Owners like to know

the finder appreciates their efforts.

Let me know your feelings and if I am the only person offended by the lazy loggers I'll grin and bear it.

Thanks for your input.

Many CO's, myself included, are of the opinion that the thought, effort, time and money is worth something more than a blank log.

TPTB are of the opinion otherwise, Perhaps someday they may rethink their position.

In the meantime, lazy logs are easy to ignore.

That is a different subject and you need to put it somewhere with a bit more visibility.

Let me know your feelings and if I am the only person offended by the lazy loggers I'll grin and bear it.

Thanks for your input.

I had found almost a dozen caches before I found out that many cache owners like to read more than "TFTC". That's when I returned to those cache pages and made decent logs.

If you have easy ones good for new cachers, why not add a request in your description, asking for more than just TFTC? But be careful what you wish for, in case your wish comes true.

Please don't lose too much sleep over this. I have to admit that I am one of those cachers you speak of. Believe me it has nothing to do with the quality of your cache or the shortcomings of my experience.

In the early days when we were Geocaching with my iPhone, once we found the cache, with the complexity of the app and my fat fingers on the touch screen. A quick TFTC was the best we could muster while we were running from hordes of mosquito's in the 90 degree heat.

Now we use an Oregon 450T, Once we find a cache we are able to mark it as found right on the GPS. Later we have to log in to the website and manually enter those logs. Just this evening my wife and I sat down to log our caches from yesterday morning. She reads them off from the GPS by GC number, I search for the cache page on the website and log the find. As we were going through the list, neither of us could remember any details in particular from the ten caches we found 36 hours previous. I know we had an enjoyable day, it was our anniversary. I can tell you all about my wife falling into the creek. However the particulars of each cache all merge together in our mind.

Many of the posters on this forum will tell you how they carry a small notebook with them and make notes in the field. To remember details about each cache. Good for them. They are better people than we are. It's not that we don't appreciate the hard work you wen't through to craft and place the cache for us to find. Thank you for all that work. We are just busy people trying to squeeze out a little time in our day for our favorite hobby. With a full day of work, housework and kids we have very little time for the niceties that you deserve.

You have our apologies.

Please don't lose too much sleep over this. I have to admit that I am one of those cachers you speak of. Believe me it has nothing to do with the quality of your cache or the shortcomings of my experience.

In the early days when we were Geocaching with my iPhone, once we found the cache, with the complexity of the app and my fat fingers on the touch screen. A quick TFTC was the best we could muster while we were running from hordes of mosquito's in the 90 degree heat.

Now we use an Oregon 450T, Once we find a cache we are able to mark it as found right on the GPS. Later we have to log in to the website and manually enter those logs. Just this evening my wife and I sat down to log our caches from yesterday morning. She reads them off from the GPS by GC number, I search for the cache page on the website and log the find. As we were going through the list, neither of us could remember any details in particular from the ten caches we found 36 hours previous. I know we had an enjoyable day, it was our anniversary. I can tell you all about my wife falling into the creek. However the particulars of each cache all merge together in our mind.

Many of the posters on this forum will tell you how they carry a small notebook with them and make notes in the field. To remember details about each cache. Good for them. They are better people than we are. It's not that we don't appreciate the hard work you wen't through to craft and place the cache for us to find. Thank you for all that work. We are just busy people trying to squeeze out a little time in our day for our favorite hobby. With a full day of work, housework and kids we have very little time for the niceties that you deserve.

You have our apologies.

With all due respect, my response to this is that if you are finding too many caches to post decent logs for your finds, then you should find fewer caches. The logs left by cachers are the only thanks COs get for the hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours they spend conceiving of, preparing, and placing caches for you to find. The least you can do is write a little something, give a little feedback, and thank them properly. I note you have 50 finds, and 0 hides. I'm guessing your perspective will change if/when you join the ranks of the COs.

As an aside, we're all busy people, and an "apology" in advance is no apology at all.

Edited by Team Van Dyk

You have our apologies.

With all due respect, my response to this is that if you are finding too many caches to post decent logs for your finds, then you should find fewer caches. The logs left by cachers are the only thanks COs get for the hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours they spend conceiving of, preparing, and placing caches for you to find. The least you can do is write a little something, give a little feedback, and thank them properly. I note you have 50 finds, and 0 hides. I'm guessing your perspective will change if/when you join the ranks of the COs.

As an aside, we're all busy people, and an "apology" in advance is no apology at all.

With all due respect, my response to that is that if you are too thin skinned to accept a valid explanation, and need to tell people how they should enjoy their hobbies. Then maybe cache ownership is not for you.

Might be a good idea to double check after a day or two, some finders may post a short log from the field and later on edit the log with a longer description. Typing on an iPhone screen keyboard, which I've only had limited experience doing since I don't own one, doesn't seem that easy or efficient. Of course, some of them won't. Even for easy PnGs I try to do a little more then just TFTC. (How much depends on what my experience was like finding that particular cache. Sometimes a rather simple cache may get a long log 'cause a lot of stuff happened while trying to find it.)

And apparently there are reasons to log finds in the field when using the offical iPhone app. I've heard it will only show a certain number of the closest caches. If they don't mark caches as found, they might run out of caches to find. (I am glad I don't quite have that issue.)

I dont buy the excuse of using iphone/blackberry/etc in the field for just TFTC as you can log it as a fieldnote note, this marks the cache as found on the app, then when you get home you can just go into field notes and compase a long note. I use the field note to capture info about the cache and anything interesting, that way when I get home I can remember the cache when writing the notes up. Also it keeps the finds in order for you.

I dont buy the excuse of using iphone/blackberry/etc in the field for just TFTC as you can log it as a fieldnote note, this marks the cache as found on the app, then when you get home you can just go into field notes and compase a long note. I use the field note to capture info about the cache and anything interesting, that way when I get home I can remember the cache when writing the notes up. Also it keeps the finds in order for you.

Don't have anything that can run the offical app so I can't really say anything about that except that is what someone said in a similar thread that they were doing when using an iPhone for Geocaching. Maybe they don't know field notes would mark the cache as found.

Don't have anything that can run the offical app so I can't really say anything about that except that is what someone said in a similar thread that they were doing when using an iPhone for Geocaching. Maybe they don't know field notes would mark the cache as found.

I only they do as I have a Blackberry Torch and thats how it works, other caching Partners have iphones and HTC and they all work the same. You have the choice to publish as a log or a fieldnote, either way it marks it as found on the device.

Also being a PM with a phone helps as you can run PQ's and save them offline so its not always using the mobile internet, great for areas with no coverage.

I only they do as I have a Blackberry Torch and thats how it works, other caching Partners have iphones and HTC and they all work the same. You have the choice to publish as a log or a fieldnote, either way it marks it as found on the device.

Also being a PM with a phone helps as you can run PQ's and save them offline so its not always using the mobile internet, great for areas with no coverage.

Beg to differ, I have the Groundspeak iPhone app and logging field notes does not mark the cache as found on the device. The only way to show it as found is to publish as a log and upload it in the field.

Beg to differ, I have the Groundspeak iPhone app and logging field notes does not mark the cache as found on the device. The only way to show it as found is to publish as a log and upload it in the field.

Where you publish as a log you have the option to publish as a Field note (drop down).

Where you publish as a log you have the option to publish as a Field note (drop down).

Obviously did not explain well. With the iPhone app, if you create a field note, it does not mark the cache as found on the app, it shows it as something you have not found yet. If you create and upload a field note, it does not mark the cache as found on the app, it shows it as something you have not found yet.

If you create a found it log, but don't upload it, it does not mark the cache as found on the app, it shows it as something you have not found yet.

The only way for the cache to show as found on the app, is to create a found it log, not a field note, and upload it.

We used to log TFTC in the field and upload it, as that was the only way for the application to show what you had found around you in real time. We would then go back to the website and fix the logs afterwards. Now that we are better organised, we create a field note with a brief note about the cache, and then use that to compose proper logs later on.

I try to write something in the logs for my finds but I don't always have more to say then quickly found or walked right up to it. I don't like using TFTC but I have done so but its been when I'm doing a trail full of caches ( power trail) and they start all being similar. I have written things about the caches on power trails such as the condition of the trail or if there was something that another cachers might want to know. If a cache really was different or really enjoyable I will tell that in my log. I also have sent polite emails to cache owners if I feel that the cache might be muggled due to poor hiding skills or the like. One new CO was glad that I told them I could see the cache from a distance and that I hid it better. Just remember everyone plays this game their own way and the logs are part of the way they play the game.

My logs average about 150 words. I like to write a story about each find even if it is a plain Jane urban micro. I always think of something to to say about it. But then I again I am left handed so that might explain it.

I don't use abreviations on my logs and I spell out numbers. No TFTC for me...only THANKS FOR THE CACHE!

I write about my cachemobile, where I started from, where I am going next, how long it took me to get there, how long it took me to find the container, how much my dog loved the cache, how much my wife hated the cache, how I hated walking up that steep hill but how I loved walking back down it, and I leave a little safety message for the next seekers (flashbacks to my NCO days in the Army). Maybe I am just weird.

It is easy to write a long log if you really want to.

I never log from my iPhone. I only use it to find nearby caches and save the the ones I find to a list. I use the iPhone notepad to keep track of any trackables I drop so I can add them to my logs later.

Heck I even write long DNF logs.

For me logging is part of the fun. I try to find something interesting to write about for each and every find I make.

Next time you find a plain Jane urban cache just take a minute to stop and look around. I'll betcha you can find SOMETHING to write about.

But as far as other peoples logs....never really cared to much about them. I play the game the way I want to and hope others play it like they want to. If they only want to log it by writing TFTC or FOUND it does not affect my game.

Edited by GermanyBert
I don't like using TFTC but I have done so but its been when I'm doing a trail full of caches ( power trail) and they start all being similar.

Sometimes I see a longer post that begins "On a bazillion cache run today..." which is copied identically on every cache. If the OP asks for wordy logs, it may become a generic paragraph pasted into the log every time, "We probably enjoyed this cache. Which reminds me of a lengthy story..."

I search for the cache page on the website and log the find. As we were going through the list, neither of us could remember any details in particular from the ten caches we found 36 hours previous. I know we had an enjoyable day, it was our anniversary. I can tell you all about my wife falling into the creek. However the particulars of each cache all merge together in our mind.

There is your log. You don't even have to remember much about each cache.

Was out for a day of caching with my wife on our 9th wedding anniversary. This was one of our finds. Thank for making it an enjoyable day for us

No need to write a book.

Ditto Briansnat. Steve0512, if you use an Oregon 450T why don't you just upload your field notes right from the 450T, there is no need to input the logs manually one at a time. Much easier and you can edit each one to add whatever information you want.

Didn't know about that until today! tongue.gif

I type a short field note for the memorable thing that happened at each cache. "L TOY FROG", "T TB 123456", "FELL IN CREEK", whatever. I still have a notepad handy for puzzle notes.

Don't know about iphone app, but the android app, or rather the android keyboard has a microphone option. I will dictate my log via the the microphone and it will type it out nicely for me. When I get home and get ready to log the field notes, I can then edit the log on a full sized keyboard and clean up any mistakes the speak2txt made.

I search for the cache page on the website and log the find. As we were going through the list, neither of us could remember any details in particular from the ten caches we found 36 hours previous. I know we had an enjoyable day, it was our anniversary. I can tell you all about my wife falling into the creek. However the particulars of each cache all merge together in our mind.

There is your log. You don't even have to remember much about each cache.

Was out for a day of caching with my wife on our 9th wedding anniversary. This was one of our finds. Thank for making it an enjoyable day for us

No need to write a book.

Exactly....the cache is just the destination. What about the journey?? To me the journey is the best part of caching so even if I get a DNF I still have a great time.

Logging is the busy work of caching, but once I make the effort to get online and click 'found it or DNF' I always write a decent little note.

Same here. We always carry the paper version of the cache and once found write something on them that starts off the little story when we log when back home.

I also own a couply of caches and do get the TFTC sometimes. I'm not really bothered by them, I'm always happy if somebody makes the effort of going to a cache I placed.

So it's just something that I personally never do but don't loose sleep over it when somebody else does so - for wathever reason.

I'm really new to geocaching, and I am finding that beyond the basic "getting started" FAQs, there is a lot of nuance. Like GermanyBert, I seriously enjoy writing about the whole experience, and you know there is always something to say. I was worried though that maybe you weren't supposed to write long log entries, because for the caches I've found so far the previous entries mostly seemed to be short, and especially because it's so easy to include unintentional spoilers. Do COs worry much about spoilers in the logs?

Do COs worry much about spoilers in the logs?
Some do. Some don't. I try to refer to such things in ways that don't give away the details to people who haven't already found the cache. For example, generic terms like "camouflage" or "attachment mechanism" can describe any number of things, and only those who have found the cache will know what specific camouflage or attachment mechanism are being referred to.

Do COs worry much about spoilers in the logs?

yes, i do, its kind of selfish to put spoilers in your log

its nice that you found it and want to share your experience but future visitors should get the same enjoyment

I hate it when people put spoilers in their logs. On mystery caches, it's worse than selfish. It's smarmy and wise-assed. If the CO wants to give you information, that's the CO's privilege.

I feel some caches don't have much to talk about. Like a P&G in a bush. What am I supposed to say other than TFTC? I try to always share stories that I have that pertain to a cache, but some caches only get a TFTC because there wasn't an epic story. Anyone get what I mean, I feel the time put into the cache should be expected to relate to the time put into logging the cache (you get out what you put in).

I don't expect a lot. I'm happy to see a found log, however short, but a picture or a description of the "adventure" makes it that much nicer. I'd be naive to think I should get a nicer log for a better cache hide. After all, I hid the caches so others could find them. That means someone took the time and energy to specifically seek out my cache, so that in itself is enough. As long as I see "smilies" (and not disparaging logs), someone enjoyed finding it.

(Edited for additional content) I found a cache tonight that made me think about logs that have little more to say other than TFTC. The cache I found, judging from the handwriting on the log book, was from a youngster. My young nephews and nieces have very little to say when spoken to and they rarely, if ever, speak without having to. So, is it possible a lot of the TFTC logs are from youngsters? They mean well but just don't talk an awful lot. Just a thought.

Edited by luvvinbird