Favorite part of geocaching!

Setting out early in the morning when most people are still asleep and wondering what interesting things I will see and do today because I followed my GPS there.

For example, I visited the original grave site of Robert E Lee's daughter yesterday; never knew it was in NC until I planned a trip to add Warren County to my maps. Later on in the day I was crawling around under a 19th century mill to find a cache.

Setting out early in the morning when most people are still asleep and wondering what interesting things I will see and do today because I followed my GPS there.

For example, I visited the original grave site of Robert E Lee's daughter yesterday; never knew it was in NC until I planned a trip to add Warren County to my maps. Later on in the day I was crawling around under a 19th century mill to find a cache.

That's it for me, discovering cool places that I never knew about.

For me it's discovering cool places that I never knew about too!

For me it's discovering cool places that I never knew about too!

Yup, my favourite part, too. :)

There are quite a few things so for me it is difficult to pinpoint one. I suppose going to places I'd never have otherwise gone is #1 on the list. Spending time with my wife and my dog is high on the list, too. The thrill of the hunt is up there. Getting outside is fun and good for me. Writing my online logs is enjoyable. Reading the logs of people who find my caches is fun. So there you go...

Creative caches that took time and effort on the CO's part--knowing that they wanted to make it a fun and memorable cache for us.

Finding those difficult ones that take so much time and effort and then it seems like they should have been much easier. It is a real feeling of accomplishment.

Recently I was driving to the trail head of a remote wilderness back country cache. I heard the traffic report from the city on the radio

As rush hour picks up, there is a delay along...

That was great. Thinking of how I was escaping from my normal life into the wilderness. (just wish I had had a bit more clean water, that is something that there is lots of in the city)

Yes. This.

Just starting out, but already found places I know for a fact I never would have visited otherwise. This is the aspect that hooked the wife. (Asking if she'd like to go for a hike would certainly be met with looks of incredulous disdain. :blink: )

Navigating to ground zero.

I have to say for me this too is right up there with my favorite part of geocaching.

The logs that I receive for the caches that I have hidden.

I really enjoy this part too.

Indeed this sometimes is the single most rewarding at times. I also enjoy planning out where I want to go (planning for Bulgaria and Turkey now, have some potential caches charted out and maps created for my 60csx). I love playing around with my GSAK DB of the local caches in my area. I like seeing which ones have the most finds, the most logs - the best logs (I enjoy reading "old school cache" logs) etc. I like seeing which caches have not been found in a long time and go find them. I like following what others in my area are doing and "mess with them" with notes on caches they have found - not in a trouble making way {grin},

I hardly ever rush out for a FTF, seeing I am in the country not too many in my immediate area. I do not like finding caches that are near peoples homes or near business, where people may misinterpret what you are doing....

Yes, I enjoy many parts of geocaching!