ICE - In Case of Emergency

jaceyb99

Following a recent personal experience, I am posting everywhere I can think of to make people aware of ICE

In

Case of

Emergency

Anything with ICE written on is immediately obvious to any of the emergency services, and should have with it emergency contact info (next of kin), your name and details such as DOB and medication. I have printed a card and laminated it and have it in my wallet / rucksack all the time.

So when you are out caching, do you have this emergency info on you somewhere ? If you are unresponsive (as my girlfriend was) then this could be vital.

Another thing - if you have a phone which locks itsself, which my Iphone does, then emergency services will not be able to access your contacts on it. Also I found the police cannot help either, unless you live with your next of kin.

Just something to consider....!

When off the beaten track I carry a SPOT Personal Tracker. Unlike a cell it operates off satellite so it will work anywhere there is a satellite signal. The basic service is a coded email message "I'm OK" or Need Help" and also another button that sends out a 911. SPOT sends out your coords so you can be found. Options are search and rescue team insurance.

When I am out hiking or caching alone, or with a group that doesn't include my spouse, I wear a RoadID bracelet. It has my name, spouse's name and contact numbers, drug allergies and medical conditions. I also have ICE info in my phone but with a bright red thing on my wrist first responders can get the needed info immediately.

When off the beaten track I carry a SPOT Personal Tracker. Unlike a cell it operates off satellite so it will work anywhere there is a satellite signal. The basic service is a coded email message "I'm OK" or Need Help" and also another button that sends out a 911. SPOT sends out your coords so you can be found. Options are search and rescue team insurance.

ooo... for a gadget collector like me that looks really interesting. I go walking on my own a lot, and this would be useful. Looking on amazon for one now !

ooo... for a gadget collector like me that looks really interesting. I go walking on my own a lot, and this would be useful. Looking on amazon for one now !

Just a word of caution for those considering to purchase the emergency beacons. Make sure that you are not buying them so that you'll be able to take a risk that you wouldn't normally take. Those things aren't magic genies that are there only for you to summon help when you get too tired or cold to finish what you shouldn't have started in the first place and they're not toys to play with.

They have the potential to be seriously abused by people who shouldn't be out anywhere alone..let alone the wilderness. Countless emergency responders have wasted money and man hours for people who pushed that button and didn't really need emergency help.

I have one and I make sure that it's safely secured so that it's not accidentally triggered. I also make sure that whatever hike I'm going on, I'm mentally and physically prepared for. The beacon is an awesome tool...but use it wisely and only in the most dire need....like you're going to DIE if you don't get rescued.

This artical illustrates my point. Yuppie 911 beacons

Interesting. I never thought of that until now.

I don't have a special card, but I always carry my wallet with driver's license which has my name and home address. So presumably, if would be easy enough to look up our home phone number via the address or visit my family directly to give any bad news. No meds or medical conditions here that they would need to know about.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I have carried a card in my wallet for several years. This works not only when I am out hiking (which is usually with other cahers) but when I am out driving alone locally and when on my frequent business trips.

The card includes my wife's name, address & numbers (home/work/cell). I also have my parent's and in-laws' contact information as well. Allergies, etc should be added to the card as necessary.

Cellphones can be damaged in an accident, so should not be depended on as the only means to relay this info to rescue workers.

Additionally, if I am heading into the "wild", I make sure my wife knows the general area/trails I will be on, and a rough time I will be back to the car. If she doesn't hear from me by a certain time (or nightfall), she knows there's an issue, and can contact the appropriate authorities, and can give them a general area to start looking for me (thankfully this has never been required!).

Great idea about putting the emergency contact info on the GPS welcome screen!

I just added that info to my unit. When they find my body, all they'll have to do is pry my fingers off the unit, turn it off, then on again. (I'm not really joking - if I die prematurely, my Garmin will almost certainly be right there with me.)

In case I'm in trouble and am still able to fiddle with gadgets, I carry one of these in the top pocket of my pack:

10997336.jpg

A personal locator beacon. Similar to Spot, but with only one function: Help! No status messages, no real-time tracking, but also no monthly fees and a more direct connection to SAR. Supposedly more reliable than Spot.

The beacon is an awesome tool...but use it wisely and only in the most dire need....like you're going to DIE if you don't get rescued.

That certainly falls under dire need. :lol:

LOL. Yep, it's pretty bad when I feel that I have to give an example of what "dire need" really is. Some of these yahoos don't know the difference between "I need help now because my femur is pointing north and my body is facing west" and "I need help because the water tastes salty and I was too stupid to bring enough water rations or purification equipment." :rolleyes:

I wear a dog tag style ID around my neck whenever I am out and about - most importantly, when I am out doing something like riding my bike, where I don't have a phone, wallet or other form of ID. So if I do end up splattered all over a rock, or stuck under a bus, the emergency services should be able to identify me.

On the tag:

Name

date of birth

hometown

blood type/no known allergies

From speaking to the police and ambulance service here the first three should be more than enough to identify myself if needed, the latter two as potentially helpful information in a pinch if I need any medical treatment.

If you are going to be doing anything particularly risky, or heading off well travelled paths, then most important is to make sure someone at home knows where you are going and when you should be back - when I head away hiking someone at home is always left the full plan, with a time I will be back home or have contacted them by (including some leeway for minor problems and suchlike), and if they hear nothing by then to assume something is majorly wrong and to call the relevant people (mountain rescue, etc...)

Following a recent personal experience, I am posting everywhere I can think of to make people aware of ICE

In

Case of

Emergency

Anything with ICE written on is immediately obvious to any of the emergency services, and should have with it emergency contact info (next of kin), your name and details such as DOB and medication. I have printed a card and laminated it and have it in my wallet / rucksack all the time.

So when you are out caching, do you have this emergency info on you somewhere ? If you are unresponsive (as my girlfriend was) then this could be vital.

Another thing - if you have a phone which locks itsself, which my Iphone does, then emergency services will not be able to access your contacts on it. Also I found the police cannot help either, unless you live with your next of kin.

Just something to consider....!

I have heard good things about the GPS Spot and how it can help you ICE. Otherwise I just tell somebody in my family, when I am heading off on hiking trail especially, where I'm going/for how long/who's with me and when I expect to be back.

The beacon is an awesome tool...but use it wisely and only in the most dire need....like you're going to DIE if you don't get rescued.

That certainly falls under dire need. :lol:

Indeed.

Sorry, I couldn't he'p myself.

Like I said before...dire need means different things to different people these days...so I felt it necessary to include the real definition.

A friend of mine has one of those things, and it requires that you leave Bluetooth enabled on your iphone so that you can control it with the app, and then it sends a per-definened txt msg throught the satellites when you're out of cell range, but it leaving Bluetooth enabled kills the already poor battery life, and then on top of that requires up to a half hour to do it's thing but gives the coordinates of where you when you triggered it, so if you're mobile, you can go pretty far in a half hour...