Who should take the "hide"?

Coldgears

Me and two friends are hosting an event soon. However, we have a dilemma, none of us want to have the page listed on our profile's. I don't want it on mine because I don't want to have to log my own cache. I think they feel the same way.

Do you feel uncomfortable logging your event? If you had the choice which would you pick, have it on your profile or a friend's... Thanks!

I don't log my own events and it wouldn't matter to me whose account it was listed under. If my friend didn't want to bother submitting it, I'd be happy to. The potential of a +1 for my find count wouldn't factor into the decision.

If it is a problem for all of you why not create an account just for the event?

I don't log my own events and it wouldn't matter to me whose account it was listed under. If my friend didn't want to bother submitting it, I'd be happy to. The potential of a +1 for my find count wouldn't factor into the decision.

If it is a problem for all of you why not create an account just for the event?

Agreed. The point of the event should be to enjoy the time, not worry about whose getting to add the cache to their finds.

To me, it's just like placing a cache. It's genuinely frowned upon to log your own cache as a "find", ergo it's frowned upon to log your own event as "attended". I just like to have a good time with other cachers. It doesn't really matter to me.

Why don't you hold the event one day and create another event for your friend to hold so you both get an event smiley?

Me and two friends are hosting an event soon. However, we have a dilemma, none of us want to have the page listed on our profile's. I don't want it on mine because I don't want to have to log my own cache. I think they feel the same way.

Do you feel uncomfortable logging your event? If you had the choice which would you pick, have it on your profile or a friend's... Thanks!

Can't you just make a note when you log it? Then it doesn't count as "logging your own cache".

[edit] I just now realized you mean that you and your friends intend it to count as a find for each of you. Sorry it took so long to dawn on me.

I'm sure I've seen such COs logging "Attended" and typing "Thank You All For Coming". I've also seen events where something came up and the CO couldn't attend, so they just made a note.

If you decide to log your own event, at least refrain from a "Woo-Hoo! FTF!! In your FACE, Dudes!" :P

Edited by kunarion

Around here, lots of people log Attended on their own events. You did attend it, right?

Another option would be to create another account to list the event. Then you can all log Attended without logging "your own" event.

I have never logged an event as attended since being the event host it is already assumed that you attended. I look at it as logging a find on your own cache, but I know many others out there see it different. when it comes down to it you just need to do what you feel is right

To me, it's just like placing a cache. It's genuinely frowned upon to log your own cache as a "find", ergo it's frowned upon to log your own event as "attended". I just like to have a good time with other cachers. It doesn't really matter to me.

Why don't you hold the event one day and create another event for your friend to hold so you both get an event smiley?

Frowned upon by who?

Over the years, I have heard a few say that they don't do it, but I have never heard anyone say that others shouldn't. Far and wide, it is the accepted practice.

Logging an event is not the same as logging your own cache.

Having said that, if you feel it is, what you are asking here is really "I am hosting an event however don't want others to know so I can fool people into thinking my self imposed standards/morals are intact and still be able to log it to increase my count?"

Did we miss anything?

Frowned upon by who?

Over the years, I have heard a few say that they don't do it, but I have never heard anyone say that others shouldn't. Far and wide, it is the accepted practice.

Frowned upon by "SOME" that I've talked to. Also, I DID specify the words "to ME" as in "MY OPINION."

Logging an event is not the same as logging your own cache.

Having said that, if you feel it is, what you are asking here is really "I am hosting an event however don't want others to know so I can fool people into thinking my self imposed standards/morals are intact and still be able to log it to increase my count?"

Did we miss anything?

+1

I prefer to list the events under my own account, and to log them as found.

Then I can easily see them as owned in my profile and look them up when I want to reflect on the good times had there, and I get a +1 in my count. That's a win/win/win in my book.

"I am hosting an event however don't want others to know so I can fool people into thinking my self imposed standards/morals are intact and still be able to log it to increase my count?"

No baloo, I am not like you. I do not force others into my own morals. Nor do I twist quotes around in order to try to "prove" to others that my morals are a "fact".

In fact, I want people to know I am hosting it. So do both of my friend's. It's going to be named something along the name of, "The geocaching kid trio makes an event cache". It will list me, and my two friend's usernames.

People will know that I am hosting it, and I don't care.

I like the idea of having both an attended and a find. But I don't feel morally right.

Hard call, if my friends were eager to take it I would, but they are just as hesitant.

If you were at the event, then you indeed attended, did you not?

I have seen some cases where the original organizer was not able to attend!

Much to my dismay it is now not possible to post a DNF for an event, even though such a scenario is entirely possible.

All this BS about credit for the hide, vs. credit for the find is really just BS when it comes to events.

I suppose one could try to create some events that only the owner could possibly attend, but I'll bet the reviewer(s) would put a stop to that rather quickly.

"I am hosting an event however don't want others to know so I can fool people into thinking my self imposed standards/morals are intact and still be able to log it to increase my count?"

No baloo, I am not like you. I do not force others into my own morals. Nor do I twist quotes around in order to try to "prove" to others that my morals are a "fact".

In fact, I want people to know I am hosting it. So do both of my friend's. It's going to be named something along the name of, "The geocaching kid trio makes an event cache". It will list me, and my two friend's usernames.

I like the idea of having both an attended and a find. But I don't feel morally right.

Hard call, if my friends were eager to take it I would, but they are just as hesitant.

Just host it and log it. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It's your find count after all.

I had the same dilemma: should I log my own event as "Attended"?

Initially I had the same approach as Briansnat, "No". And then my dilemma widened: should I log an event posted by a friend, but where I did 75% of the hosting work as "Attended"?

For caches, if I'm with the owner when he hides the cache, I won't log it as found. By the same reasoning, if I helped the owner host the event, I shouldn't log events where I helped as "attended" either. But where to draw the line between "helped" and "not helped"? At 50%? 25%? 1%? Hearing spoilers in advance about surprises prepared for the event?

Do you log "Attended" on events where you arrive late, or leave early? Or where you participated, but didn't socialize with the other participants?

Do you log "Found it" on caches found by another member of your party during a group hunt? Or if the mystery was cracked by someone else? Or if someone else retrieved the cache? Or if you phoned a friend for a hint? Or if you found the replacement dropped down by a lazy cacher, not the original hide?

I recommend setting logging rules and boundaries you are comfortable with, and following them. Don't set rules that will ruin your fun.

Checked the forums, and found a post from 2003 by Jeremy, where he recommends event hosts to log as "Attended", as long as they attended the event. In the end, I logged "Attended" on all events where I participated.

You came here for pseudo validation, and a couple of us simply pointed that out, however I am not sure you're reading the same thread as the rest of us. None of us have tried to "force others into my own morals". Almost to a person, myself included, everyone has stated what they do and then told you it was up to you and did not matter. I fail to see anyone "forcing" anything on you.

Around here, lots of people log Attended on their own events. You did attend it, right?

Another option would be to create another account to list the event. Then you can all log Attended without logging "your own" event.

I realize that attended logs go towards your find count but in my opinion, they shouldn't. Attendeds, at least for me, are a record of which events i, well, attended. If i make it to an event, even my own, then i attended it. There's really no gray area here.

If you look at this from the other side,,, I for one try to keep my stats correct (at least in my eyes). These stats happen to include the number of events i've attended. These same stats would be totally incorrect if i chose not to log an attended on an event that i actually did attend.

Is it back-to-school time for Coldgears today?

I do believe Coldgears is a "he". :D

Oops, sorry. I just assumed based on the handle and the way some things were worded.

How does "Coldgears" indicate a female? :unsure:

There's probably a story there which I for one am kind of glad I don't know.

I realize that attended logs go towards your find count but in my opinion, they shouldn't. Attendeds, at least for me, are a record of which events i, well, attended. If i make it to an event, even my own, then i attended it. There's really no gray area here.

If you look at this from the other side,,, I for one try to keep my stats correct (at least in my eyes). These stats happen to include the number of events i've attended. These same stats would be totally incorrect if i chose not to log an attended on an event that i actually did attend.

Yes. This is the sort of ridiculous discussion that becomes inevitable once you equate a geocaching event with a geocache.