Snowdon caches...

The Driver has been arrested and is facing charges now. Plus I'd estimate a huge bill to cover the cost of recovering the vehicle off the Mountain as the options being discussed are

Attempt to Drive it down

Load it on to a flat bed truck and get taken down by the SNR

Dismantle and haul the pieces down by SNR

Air lift it out using a Heavy Lift Helicopter

Even Mountain Rescue will not take Motor Vehicles up the Mountain, especially as it's been illegal to take a Motorised Vehicle on to Snowdon since the fifties

For those not aware, Snowdon is owned by CCW the Designating Authority for the Welsh Assembly. And is a Designated SSSI, but a location which CCW have been highly supportive of Geocaching in.

Deci

The story does seem to have some mysterious aspects. The car has no number plate on the front, and appears to be some sort of rescue vehicle, judging from the amber lights on top. It doesn't seem to be at all stuck, so it's odd that it was abandoned. Perhaps the driver went for a walk and was returning to the car when he was arrested? Possibly he works for the railway?

It's a Vauxhall Frontera... It doesn' t need an excuse to stop at random and un-opportune moments :blink:

Regarding the front number plate, it's in the windscreen. Relocated as the front bumper has been replaced with a tubular winch bumper affair.

Amber light doesn't mean it was a rescue vehicle, the same as he probably isn't in the army, just because he was wearing DPM's.

J

The story does seem to have some mysterious aspects. The car has no number plate on the front, and appears to be some sort of rescue vehicle, judging from the amber lights on top. It doesn't seem to be at all stuck, so it's odd that it was abandoned. Perhaps the driver went for a walk and was returning to the car when he was arrested? Possibly he works for the railway?

As I pointed out in my post, it has been illegal to drive a Motorised Vehicle on Snowdon since 1951. The SNR has it's own works train, and that was used to haul all the materials and building Staff up to the Summit Building when it was rebuilt.

The Driver of the vehicle does not work for SNR , he drove up the mountain as it was one of his Top 50 things to do

Deci

That partially explains things anyway. I guess when they've finished making various points about this foolhardy but ultimately trivial episode they'll drive the car back down.

I can't get too upset by this incident really. After all, motorised vehicles chug up and down Snowdon all the time and the route is generally an eyesore. Last time I was on the summit it was a building site, and previous to that it was blighted by a monstrosity of a giant concrete shed. The path by the railway can probably be seen from the moon.

Quaint though the railway is, it's a pity it went all the way to the summit.

The 4X4 was just parked next to the track. It was in good condition and clean and tidy, it had orange lights on the top and a winch on the front and a much bigger one in the back. We looked at it as we walked past but due to its conditon assumed it belong to mountain rescue or similar as it did not look like it had been abandoned and was parked "sensibly" to one side of the path.