You know your doing too much Geocaching when....

springbok200

I have a 2 year old little girl who comes out with us all the time when we go on geocaching missions. The other day I released my toddler from her pram as we approached GZ and the first thing she did was squat down and look under the bench! The good friend I was with laughed and said you have got her well trained! I would be interested to know others experiences. :)

Nice! I'd liked to have had her with me yesterday when I was crawling on my hands and knees at GZ in full view of the public. :)

You know you're doing too much geocaching when you can't bring yourself to use a nice large lock & lock for flour storage but instead are saving it in case you stumble upon a perfect cache location (meanwhile your flour languishes in the paper bag it came in).

I had been thinking about trying "this geocaching thing"some years back, but a time there were no caches in this area. Some time later, I was at work in a restaurant one morning and a tourist family with a young boy (4 or 5 years old maybe) were paying their bill. After getting an OK nod from his parents, I offered him the candy dish. He looked at me and said he didn't have anything to put back in. Thinking he meant money, I told him it was OK and his parents explained they were geocachers, and had just come from the one at our local tourist attraction. They told me he had always been told that if you take something out, you put something in. Don't know if he had been caching too much, but he had learned his lessons well) :)

(Sooo, as soon as I got off work I grabbed Hubby's gps and finally went and found my first cache)

Edited by Qbar

I had been thinking about trying "this geocaching thing"some years back, but a time there were no caches in this area. Some time later, I was at work in a restaurant one morning and a tourist family with a young boy (4 or 5 years old maybe) were paying their bill. After getting an OK nod from his parents, I offered him the candy dish. He looked at me and said he didn't have anything to put back in. Thinking he meant money, I told him it was OK and his parents explained they were geocachers, and had just come from the one at our local tourist attraction. They told me he had always been told that if you take something out, you put something in. Don't know if he had been caching too much, but he had learned his lessons well) :)

(Sooo, as soon as I got off work I grabbed Hubby's gps and finally went and found my first cache)

That's lovely! Plus it got you in to it too! :)

I think my favorite method of realizing that we've done way too much geocaching is when someone is trying to give us directions.

Once they give us the general area, my husband and I will normally start discussing which geocaches were nearby. "Oh yeah! I know where XYZ Street is! It's over by the such and such cache!" :P

You know you're doing too much geocaching when you sleep with a GPS on your nightstand.

You know you're doing too much geocaching when you get a travel bug for your birthday.

You know you're doing too much geocaching when you walk into a pet store and immediately run over to the frog section. :grin:

You know you're doing too much geocaching when you keep your prized possessions in an ammo can in your backyard.

You know you're doing too much geocaching when you can make a list this long. (Oh well :) )

A co-worker and I are making a trip to Oldsmar, Florida in a couple of weeks. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express when we go there. Today he mentioned that he was thinking about staying somewhere else, because of a good experience his family had with another chain over the weekend.

My immediate response: "That would be great! I've already found all the caches near the Holiday Inn Express!"

. . . when the backseat of your car is filled with odd looking tools.

. . . when you have nothing else to talk about to other people besides geocaching. Whatever did you find to talk about before this hobby? (Saddest to all, you know they really are not interested in the least.)

When you see this thread, and you say, "This again?"

Or the opposite of this happened for me.

The above check cashing thing happened to me, and I saved it in the back of my brain, because I knew this thread would come up again.

I've been waiting for this.

I knew I didn't have to start one again. I knew someone else would.

I wrote a check the other day... I rarely do that anymore...

I wrote out the check, then put the date on it, and signed my name Sol Seaker.

next time I'll be sure to not sign my name right after I write the date.

(yes and of course I always write "cache" instead of "cash")

I'm always worried that I'll do that. I have several identities, and I have to write them out multiple times a day. But so far, I don't think I've ever mixed them up, and I'm astonished at that. I'm always double and triple checking myself, just in case. :laughing:

Don't know if this fits this thread but I am already thinking about the future once I leave this world.

My plan is for my gravetone to be a geocache.

It will be a puzzle cache and there will be an cypherlock pad on each side. When you have the right code the gravestone will open up and a tablet computer will come out. There will be a congratulatory message from me and you will be able to instantly log the find since it will have internet access. It will be programed to only go to Geocaching.com.

On the other side of the gravestone will be another cypherlock pad. The code for this cypherlock will be given during the congratulatory video. When you enter the code a part of the gravestone will slide down and you see my mummifed lower leg with my trackable tattoo so you can discover it.

The tablet and the leg will will be in tamper proof containers of course.

This is already in my Will and a fund has been established to maintain the equipment and internet access.

Does this mean I am Geocaching too much?

Edited by GermanyBert

Don't know if this fits this thread but I am already thinking about the future once I leave this world.

It will be a puzzle cache and there will be an cypherlock pad on each side. When you have the right code the gravestone will open up and a tablet computer will come out. There will be a congratulatory message from me and you will be able to instantly log the find since it will have internet access. It will be programed to only go to Geocaching.com.

On the other side of the gravestone will be another cypherlock pad. The code for this cypherlock will be given during the congratulatory video. When you enter the code a part of the gravestone will slide down and you see my mummifed lower leg with my trackable tattoo so you can discover it.

The tablet and the leg will will be in tamper proof containers of course.

This is already in my Will and a fund has been established to maintain the equipment and internet access.

Oh, this made me laugh. Thanks. :laughing:

Oh well sorry I wasn't very original, Coldgear. I will try try and do better next time. :)

Well I have never seen a thread like this so THANKS for creating it.

I sure hope after I have been on these forums as long as some here have that I will not become as cranky as them.

Edited by GermanyBert

Oh well sorry I wasn't very original, Coldgear. I will try try and do better next time. :)

Well I have never seen a thread like this so THANKS for creating it.

I sure hope after I have been on these forums as long as some here have that I will not become as cranky as them.

I didn't even mean what I said. I only saw this thread one other time, and someone posted what I posted this time. I just wanted to sound like i've been around a while, so I "stole" someone's quote from someone who had... ;-)

I wrote out the check, then put the date on it, and signed my name Sol Seaker.

I'm always worried that I'll do that. I have several identities, and I have to write them out multiple times a day. But so far, I don't think I've ever mixed them up, and I'm astonished at that. I'm always double and triple checking myself, just in case. :laughing:

I think I've myself conditioned so that if I'm standing somewhere, probably sweating, holding a tiny slip of paper that I just unrolled, and trying to hold too many things in my hand, I'll sign "Chrysalides" (or something that could be taken for that if you squint the right way). Other times I'll sign my real name.

No! It shows that you have appreciation for caching and for a good hide.

And I'm jealous that I didn't think of it!

A co-worker and I are making a trip to Oldsmar, Florida in a couple of weeks. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express when we go there. Today he mentioned that he was thinking about staying somewhere else, because of a good experience his family had with another chain over the weekend.

My immediate response: "That would be great! I've already found all the caches near the Holiday Inn Express!"

LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh! This happened to us to when our son's soccer practice changed to a different field. Many parents grumbled at the change but our response was "Sweet! we've already found all the caches near the current practice field!"

Edited by teamblklab

When you're at work having a quick conversation on a confidential subject and you stop the other person in mid-sentence by wispering "muggles!" as someone approaches. I did this to a non-cacher who was familiar w/ HP. It worked and he had no idea. :lol:

I've been known to use the term to refer to anyone not doing what I'm doing, geocaching or not.