Garmin eTrex 30

No1Mugster

Sorry to tag on to this but I had a couple of questions on this GPS as I am in the market for a GPS. How does paperless caching work on this device as Garmin has their own geocaching site/software? Also this unit doesn't come with topo maps. I would think you would want topo maps would be important.

Hey Tuck, check out www.gpsfiledepot.com for free topo maps. They work great, but are not routable.

Thanks for the responses. As I am also going use the GPS for mountain biking as well as geocaching I am looking at the Delorme pn-60 which comes loaded with topo of north America out of the box. The Garmin has a bigger screen though...

Edited by tuck47

Over the weekend, I gave my etrex 30 a good run and I must say I was really impressed.

I upgrade from the etrex h tho so wasn't hard.

I got garmin's topo map for my area working on it and head bush for some caches.

I chose the 30 model just on the price alone. With the extra features still made the unit great value.

The altimeter was the main feature i wanted as I cache in the mountains near me.

Had the old girl with me (etrex h) just to compare the 2.

I found the 30 to be 2 to 3 metre's more accurate under heavy foliage.

Both seem to be the same in the open.

Most impressive feature is how quickly it locks on and gives you an accurate reading. This be the same for all models.

At the end of the day. You can't go wrong with either the 20 or 30.

Even the 10 would be a great entry level one.

Over the weekend, I gave my etrex 30 a good run and I must say I was really impressed.

I upgrade from the etrex h tho so wasn't hard.

Hello,

Is there any features that you have found missing from your old etrex H in the new etrex 30?

I'm looking hard at doing an upgrade (chirp, 3 axis compass) from my etrex Vista HCx (which I am very happy with).

Regards,

John

Had the old girl with me (etrex h) just to compare the 2.

Hi. Just wondering if you noted any difference in processor speed eg screen redraw times, route calculation and recalculation times etc. I have an Etrex HCx and get a little frustrated with the time it take to draw a map particularly in heavy urban areas with a lot of detail and services.

Extra speed and the ability to use ANT+ accessories ie Hrm strap and GSC-10 would be enough reason to upgrade for me. I could dispense with my 705 and my HCx and keep the same functionality of both.

Thanks in advance.

-Gary

Hello,

Is there any features that you have found missing from your old etrex H in the new etrex 30?

Overall, this was a big upgrade from the basic model to the 30 so it really does everything the old one did, but a ton more.

The main thing I would say, if you didn't get a map for the unit. I would prefer the basic LCD screen. Adding colour does jack.

Hi. Just wondering if you noted any difference in processor speed eg screen redraw times, route calculation and recalculation times etc. I have an Etrex HCx and get a little frustrated with the time it take to draw a map particularly in heavy urban areas with a lot of detail and services.

I hadn't looked at this function of the unit as I tend to drive to places and walk.

However I gave it a shot this evening. I was out and had a cache still in my unit which I plotted the route. (My old unit didn't have this feature, so I have nothing to compare it to)

My initial thoughts, I wouldn't use this to Navigate around (If solo). Just too small.

Does chirp away at the roads I need to turn down, but that means taking my eyes off the road. (Just as bad as txt'ing).

To calculate the route seemed to be quite fast, maybe 2 seconds at max.

My maps are not really that detail, so I didn't see that issue. (Using the Australian Garmin topo map). So seemed to update fine.

Recalculation seemed not as fluent as I hoped. Driving past a turnoff and it gave no indication that it was re-calculating. But maybe 30's later giving me new instructions.

This is only 1 attempt and it was my first, so take it with a grain of salt. Will defiantly have more of a play with it.

Edited by AN_Rastan

Why in the world did Garmin change the location of the toggle? Device is totally useless now for previous etrex users, this is the worst piece of ergonomics trash that they could have come up with. I was two seconds away from ordering when I realized that the toggle has been moved to the right side of the device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DERRICKKOLLER

I'm really pissed over the toggle placement on the new design. What were the engineers thinking??? Did they not do any research, for the past 10 plus years Etrex users have been using their left hand to navigate the device, leaving the right hand free for more important tasks. This is absolutely the worst design ever, Garmin's engineers should be fired. Who the f***** came up with the idea to change the toggle location, seriously have they never used the previous etrex device??????? Garmin shame on you, everyone loved the simplicity of the etrex series that's why we fell in love, one handed operation (left hand) left thumb on the toggle. Ruined absolutely ruined Garmin you suck!!

P.s I'm right handed and if you don't get what I'm saying you haven't used the device or you are left handed. Previous models were designed to be used in the left hand, keeping the right hand free for more important tasks it was seamless integration the new device will require right handed operation, and require retraining of something that's been second nature for the last 10 years to etrex users, seriously Garmin I hate your new Etrex series as is. Change the toggle position back to the left side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DERRICKKOLLER

I'm really pissed over the toggle placement on the new design. What were the engineers thinking??? Did they not do any research, for the past 10 plus years Etrex users have been using their left hand to navigate the device, leaving the right hand free for more important tasks. This is absolutely the worst design ever, Garmin's engineers should be fired. Who the f***** came up with the idea to change the toggle location, seriously have they never used the previous etrex device??????? Garmin shame on you, everyone loved the simplicity of the etrex series that's why we fell in love, one handed operation (left hand) left thumb on the toggle. Ruined absolutely ruined Garmin you suck!!

P.s I'm right handed and if you don't get what I'm saying you haven't used the device or you are left handed. Previous models were designed to be used in the left hand, keeping the right hand free for more important tasks it was seamless integration the new device will require right handed operation, and require retraining of something that's been second nature for the last 10 years to etrex users, seriously Garmin I hate your new Etrex series as is. Change the toggle position back to the left side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez don't hold back DERRICK...

Why in the world did Garmin change the location of the toggle? Device is totally useless now for previous etrex users, this is the worst piece of ergonomics trash that they could have come up with. I was two seconds away from ordering when I realized that the toggle has been moved to the right side of the device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that cool? I hated the toggle on the left side. Makes much more sense that it is on the right side. Great piece of engineering, glad I wrote them and pointed out the obvious.

I don't think I'll be using the barometer, but does the compass give you more precision (in terms of direction) when finding caches?

They all have a compass. It is just that some have an electronic compass. It is that the ones without an electronic compass depend on the gps to be moving to determine the direction. If you stop the compass stops updating and and if you rotate the unit the compass does not respond. Those with an electronic compass does not depend on movement to update the compass and will continue to point in the correct direction even if your stopped and rotate the unit. I find following the arrow to be much easier than matching numbers.

Edited by jholly

I just called Garmin UK to ask about the UK release date. Apparently the new range has been release and GoOutdoors should recieve stock in the "next month or two"... F***ing brilliant. I was hoping to get mine in enough time to give it a proper test before I potentially bought a second for my fathers birthday (at the end of October) and now it seems there's no chance of that happening.

Edited by JfLDave

I just called Garmin UK to ask about the UK release date. Apparently the new range has been release and GoOutdoors should recieve stock in the "next month or two"... F***ing brilliant. I was hoping to get mine in enough time to give it a proper test before I potentially bought a second for my fathers birthday (at the end of October) and now it seems there's no chance of that happening.

Retail stores have them here in Australia already. Must be one advantage to living in a 3rd world country ;-)

Retail stores have them here in Australia already. Must be one advantage to living in a 3rd world country ;-)

That made me laugh, thanks.