Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Fianccetto

Buying a Storm Kettle

Anyone familiar with storm kettles (commonly known as Kelly kettles)? Any advice would be really welcome.

I'm trying to choose one and as there are no stockists very close, I could do with a few pointers about which size to go for and whether it is better to go for Aluminium or stainless steel. We want to get the one we will use the most, that will last us for decades, and be used in the garden in the evenings as well as camping and hiking.

By instinct I want to go for the biggest one because it will heat up more water in one go and be a wider, more solid base for a pan on top but it would be that bit more bulky to carry around.

So...stainless steel is heavier, and takes longer to heat. That could mean we just don't take it on hikes, or find that it's not as fun to use while camping.

Aluminium is lighter, quicker to heat but I have read there's a connection between cooking with aluminium pans and Alzheimer's and we are keen to get any self imposed risks of that down to as near 0 as possible. We wouldn't be using it daily though, and only for boiling water.

If you have a Kelly Kettle, or have used them, what did you choose and what do you think of them?

Thanks for any input. :)

A stainless one will last longer on hikes. Aluminum will get banged up easier and may sustain damage quicker. Not good to have a punctured kettle. Size will depend on your needs. How much water do you find yourself boiling on a camping trip?

There's never enough hot water! We'd need it for washing up, and washing. We've been to plenty of bleak camp sites (better known as fields) with no hot water! We have a little 2 ring gas stove for camp sites, but its never enough and have not been very successful boiling much water with it.

Good point about aluminium being softer and more likely to get damaged. There are various makes, I've now realised. The Eldon storm kettles seem more sturdy and less likely to split at the seam. The 1 litre looks stout as well. It's the sort of thing that would be great at the beach or mountainside - but I have to remember we would then have to carry the water with us as well (unless there's a handy fresh water stream nearby).

Garden in the evenings, maybe car-camping, but backpacking... not so hot.

My sister brought an aluminum one with her on one of our hikes a few years ago. Think she got it from the Wade Tool Company.

We burned pine needles, paper wads and anything else we could think up (as well as sticks) and it did boil water in about seven minutes.

We found that even damp stuff would burn with a piece of an Esbit square to start it off. But, who wants to be the one continuously feeding this thing?

- And they're a bugger to clean. Esbit squares smoke it black and pine needles build up sticky gum (think chimney) and depending on the fuel, smoke like crazy, making a real mess. How often do you find clean, dry wood?

We try to go as light as possible and I want to know that my stove will function without hitches (and feed itself while I go do something else.)

It's bulky, weighty (most weigh over a pound) and takes up a heck of a lot more room than the little canister stove that fits inside the titanium pots.

But, for a survival-type situation, because it will burn just about anything, may be a good option for the bug-out bag, when liquid/gas fuels become scarce.

I take your point on the weight. Plus the weight of the water would mean we probably wouldn't hike far with one. (And we could just take a thermos of the drink we wanted and save the hassle).

I wouldn't use pine needles but there's plenty of clean, dry wood, grass, leaves, twigs, birch bark and other stuff for most of the year.

It's nice to switch everything off in the house and sit in the garden, light a bonfire and have a hot drink of an evening. I'm convinced I could cook up a few different meals with one as well.

Is this one of those threads that got moved to Geocaching Topics when the Hiking and Backpacking forum got zapped for a short while?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=141

B.

Quite possible. I did a manual scan back two years for things I remembered there. But I have a poor memory. Subject matter is suitable though. There is a topic there where one can list a link to this topic and it should get moved if it belongs there.

The forum is getting more active again. Moun10bike (sic) was watching for input.

Doug 7rxc

I can't speak for the garden part, but have plenty of knowledge of the camping and hiking piece.

I have purchased the one I listed below. It is for backpacking/hiking. It works for me for my style of camping. I do not make gourmet meals when backpacking. I use the freezer bag method of meals or prepackaged freeze dried meals. So I only need a cup or two of water to hydrate the meals. Also there is no need for water to clean up either. This kettle is also lighter than the one you are looking at. In addition to all of this, not all places will allow a fire, so that might make a difference.

Not sure were or how you camp and hike, but maybe this is an option too. Like I said it probably won't be universal and be able to be used in the garden.

http://www.rei.com/product/768513/gsi-outdoors-hae-tea-kettle

I've been through so many cook pan options that I've lost count. Nowadays, the limiting factor is usually space in my pack. So many places we like to hike require bear canisters that the amount of room left over after the canister is packed, is pretty small. This collapsible tea kettle got my attention. Looking forward to giving it a try this hiking season:

469707da-b798-4379-b22c-4d93e9bee25a.jpg

8d18e205-2ffa-4016-946a-dbbe1d885fd1.jpg

This collapsible tea kettle got my attention. Looking forward to giving it a try this hiking season:

Looks cool, but could you possibly explain this to me?

I see it's collapsible, similar to the "space-saving" silicone bowls the other 2/3rds got that were too flexible and spilled things all over us.

Curious, as it says right on its top, "Do not expose walls to flame".

So maybe a small flame, taking a bit longer, so you don't burn out/catch the sides on fire?

Hopefully no one runs outta fuel. ;)

Please, when you do a product test, stop back. Thanks ! :)

<_< Why not a nice Titanium pot in which a stove can nest in when not in use?

Been there and tried that for the last 40 years. Although I'm guessing titanium is probably lighter, it's not so good on the compactness scale of things.

True.. But I don't eat Freeze Dried stuff, I make Gourmet Meals. I use Seal A Meal, my bowl is the pouch the food is in and boiled water used for drink. I've even made 2" thick Pizzas, Ham, Green Pepper, Onion & cheese omelets with Hash Browns, while hiking & climbing. I don't really mind the little extra weigh because I enjoy my meals, while others ask 'Are you going to eat all that?'.

So, each of us can suggest or ask 'What is?', when in fact it's all about each of our own comfort zones as to what we want out in the wilds. Before you ask, yes that's a 6 pack and its cooling in that stream.

Always plan ahead, make a list of items you take, determine do you really need all that, then after your outing recheck that list and ask yourself. What did I really use, could I have left that at home, what would I have really enjoyed on that outing. Put it your list!

Remember you went out there to enjoy nature and the sites. What better way to enjoy the outdoors than a wonderful meal. Treat yourself, you only live once. :D

Oh, do you know that Bacon & Eggs is also wonderful. Anyone hungry yet?

Have a great hike! B)