Where can I find..?

Simply Paul

While putting info together for the Geolympix website I've discovered there are no UK caches set in March 2001 still active. Does anyone have an old database which includes archived caches that were set in that month/year? I'm basing this on the useful 100 Oldest (Live) UK Caches list by LympstoneBogtrotters. It's a long-shot, but I'm hoping to find a way one of them can be resurrected.

Interesting to see I've found the oldest five, a couple within my first weeks of caching (2003) and a couple more since June this year. There are only 80 UK caches left from 2001 - and just one from 2000. Has anyone 'collected' this ancient set? Is there an organised group with a 'save old caches' remit? This is our heritage, after all. It would be a great shame to allow what happened to March 01 happen to February 01 (1 cache remaining), April 01 (1 cache remaining) or May 01 (1 cache remaining)!

While putting info together for the Geolympix website I've discovered there are no UK caches set in March 2001 still active. Does anyone have an old database which includes archived caches that were set in that month/year? I'm basing this on the useful 100 Oldest (Live) UK Caches list by LympstoneBogtrotters. It's a long-shot, but I'm hoping to find a way one of them can be resurrected.

Interesting to see I've found the oldest five, a couple within my first weeks of caching (2003) and a couple more since June this year. There are only 80 UK caches left from 2001 - and just one from 2000. Has anyone 'collected' this ancient set? Is there an organised group with a 'save old caches' remit? This is our heritage, after all. It would be a great shame to allow what happened to March 01 happen to February 01 (1 cache remaining), April 01 (1 cache remaining) or May 01 (1 cache remaining)!

I have records for three archived caches that were set in March 2001... GC415, GC42E & GC46E

I have no record of any active caches for that month/year

I've found the oldest 4

In/on my list of oldest caches, not on your list linked to...

Leeds Web-Cam Cache Hidden : 27/Oct/2001 http://coord.info/GC24CD

Thanks B&R - I'll let LympstoneBogtrotters know they missed that one. Edit: Done!

Cheers too Pharisee, I'll take a look at those :)

Edit: All long-since gone. The virtual is a lost cause but perhaps a local could look at the others? You never know, it might be possible to get them relisted under the same GC code... I have to say I hoped for caches that had survived into the late 2000s rather than ones archived 8 years ago though :(

Edit to the Edit: I've emailed MSM (not active since 2006) and Bobstay (active in June 2011) to see if they can be tempted to replace and reactivate their caches; neither has a proximity issue and both could be adopted across to another cacher if they're unwilling or unable to maintain it/them. Fingers crossed :)

Edited by Simply Paul

Bobstay (active in June 2011) to see if they can be tempted to replace and reactivate their caches; neither has a proximity issue and both could be adopted

I emailed bobstay a few months ago asking about Waterbeach Island and he said:

Well, I don't live near there any more, and the location where it was placed wasn't actually that well hidden, and probably prone to flooding. Might not be the best idea for the sake of filling in a grid - sorry!

Talking of old caches, we have found ALL of the 10 oldest Active UK MAINLAND caches B)

(Haven't logged them yet though as we only got home yesterday;))

No one else has found all ten but Pyoung1s and aB5dEglYeS5P have found seven of them ;)

Mark

I emailed bobstay a few months ago asking about Waterbeach Island and he said:
Well, I don't live near there any more, and the location where it was placed wasn't actually that well hidden, and probably prone to flooding. Might not be the best idea for the sake of filling in a grid - sorry!
Ah well. It's a shame. There's a sign close to GZ - perhaps a micro, above flood-level..? Thanks for the insight anyway. That just leaves Edinburgh. Fingers crossed. I've found many/most of the old off-shore caches but I'll have to try to target caches from that list on future trips out; it would be good to tick more off B)

Edinburgh will have to be a New Cache Submission as we don't unarchive caches which have been Archived over 12 months. That one was Archived before Archive logs were created so it's been Archived 9-10 years. Also the location is a SSSI.

Also we don't unarchive caches to allow them to be adopted.

Deci

Edinburgh will have to be a New Cache Submission as we don't unarchive caches which have been Archived over 12 months...

...Also we don't unarchive caches to allow them to be adopted.

Deci

Who is this WE ?

I know of a cache in another country which was archived in 2001, un-archived in April 2006 and adopted to a new owner. Archived again in December 2006 then un-archived in April 2010!

Mark

Edinburgh will have to be a New Cache Submission as we don't unarchive caches which have been Archived over 12 months...

...Also we don't unarchive caches to allow them to be adopted.

Deci

Who is this WE ?

I know of a cache in another country which was archived in 2001, un-archived in April 2006 and adopted to a new owner. Archived again in December 2006 then un-archived in April 2010!

Mark

The "WE" your referring to is the UK Reviewers, who are following clear instructions given by Groundspeak, within the last 12 months. As for other countries, I can't comment on, as I don't know any of the details behind the decision.

If you have a issue with the other cache, located in another country. Please take that up directly with Groundspeak.

Personally I can see no justifiable reason to unarchive a cache located in the UK, Archived in 2001 or 2002. the cache has been dead for 10 years, unarchiving it and replacing the container would only have one reason, to obtain the early GC Code, and no other reason, that's not a justification to unarchive.

Deci

If you have a issue with the other cache, located in another country. Please take that up directly with Groundspeak.

Noooooooooooo!!

I think it's a GOOD thing!

I now only have to go to - not saying where ;) - instead of America to fill one particular Month Set square! Still one hell of a drive but I'm sure the Mondeo would make it :lol:

The closest March 2001 cache is in The Netherlands. We did another cache about 25 miles from there in 2008 and never realised :rolleyes: (I wasn't 'filling the grid' then)

Another trip to The Netherlands is not out of the question, Cambridge is a somewhat easier to get to though...

Mark

Noooooooooooo!!

I think it's a GOOD thing!

I now only have to go to - not saying where ;) - instead of America to fill one particular Month Set square! Still one hell of a drive but I'm sure the Mondeo would make it :lol:

The closest March 2001 cache is in The Netherlands. We did another cache about 25 miles from there in 2008 and never realised :rolleyes: (I wasn't 'filling the grid' then)

Another trip to The Netherlands is not out of the question, Cambridge is a somewhat easier to get to though...

Mark

Not made it to Brazil yet? :ph34r:

The "WE" your referring to is the UK Reviewers, who are following clear instructions given by Groundspeak, within the last 12 months. As for other countries, I can't comment on, as I don't know any of the details behind the decision.

UK reviewers were implementing this policy at least two years ago, possibly even longer. I was told at the time it was Groundspeak Policy so it's interesting to read your comments now.

Personally I can see no justifiable reason to unarchive a cache located in the UK, Archived in 2001 or 2002. the cache has been dead for 10 years, unarchiving it and replacing the container would only have one reason, to obtain the early GC Code, and no other reason, that's not a justification to unarchive.

Deci

The cache I was attempting to resurrect was the first physical cache to be placed on Dartmoor. I thought there was a historical justification but apparently I was wrong.:P

UK reviewers were implementing this policy at least two years ago, possibly even longer. I was told at the time it was Groundspeak Policy so it's interesting to read your comments now.

Deci

The cache I was attempting to resurrect was the first physical cache to be placed on Dartmoor. I thought there was a historical justification but apparently I was wrong.:P

Groundspeak gives Instructions to Reviewers all the time. The last time they did so about Archived caches was within the last 12 months. Having done so in the past. The policy was implemented under the Instructions of Groundspeak, as far back as I've been a Reviewer (and I've been a Reviewer for over 5 years) so it's not a fairly new policy.

Deci

A cache with the same name can be placed in the same location as any archived cache, new rules and landowner permission permitting. So I really don't see the point in even trying to unarchive one. Some of the early caches were great, others were not well hidden. I get the stats game to a point... I get number of finds, I understand the FTF race, and the D/T grid... but as for finding a cache from every month of geocaching, nope... don't understand that one... every day I'd get... but I don't think I'd plan any holidays around a missing "one day in 30" on a grid.

Edited by NattyBooshka

... but as for finding a cache from every month of geocaching, nope... don't understand that one...

It's just something else to focus on.

Mind you, if caches aren't policed by the CO it does make a bit of a mockey of it. But then the same applies for all other stats

Spotted this rogue log yesterday on the long since archived GC44.

Have a look who the CO is... ;)

Mark

A cache with the same name can be placed in the same location as any archived cache, new rules and landowner permission permitting. So I really don't see the point in even trying to unarchive one. Some of the early caches were great, others were not well hidden. I get the stats game to a point... I get number of finds, I understand the FTF race, and the D/T grid... but as for finding a cache from every month of geocaching, nope... don't understand that one... every day I'd get... but I don't think I'd plan any holidays around a missing "one day in 30" on a grid.

I think you can blame statgen on GSAK for that. For some of us sad people when we see an empty grid it has to be filled :D.

... but as for finding a cache from every month of geocaching, nope... don't understand that one...

It's just something else to focus on.

Mind you, if caches aren't policed by the CO it does make a bit of a mockey of it. But then the same applies for all other stats

Spotted this rogue log yesterday on the long since archived GC44.

Have a look who the CO is... ;)

Mark

Next geocacher to find this, please remove it. The cache owner has been missing for some time.

I think we all know where to find the CO..! :lol:

I think we all know where to find the CO..! :lol:

It's a cache from the twilight zone where all sorts of weird stuff happens... :o

Interestingly, I presume Jeremy put the comment asking for the box to be removed. That's something that reviewers would never suggest these days...

Mark

I think you can blame statgen on GSAK for that. For some of us sad people when we see an empty grid it has to be filled :D.

:D

I would fill other grids... maybe I'm only partially infected?

No one else has found all ten but Pyoung1s and aB5dEglYeS5P have found seven of them ;)

Someone said I'd been mentioned so had to find myself (sigh)

Just a minor correction - only 6 so far (though I've done 7 of the 11)

(Numbers 3 and 4 shouldn't be too tricky for me though)

While I'm here, on the wider point...

Yes, it's another grid to fill :) but also the older caches on average tend to be above average in enjoyment for me so any excuse is a good one.

I wouldn't want to see something being unarchived just for the stats though. Although somehow that wouldn't bother me quite as much as 'fake' placed by dates (where the code is clearly out of sequence).

Edited by aB5dEglYeS5P