Challenges "accepted" - "completed"

***mac***

My guess is that it shows how many people are interested enough to have a go at the challenge as there is no specific way to show 'didn't complete.' (You would have to just write a note which wouldn't show up in any stats.) For most challenges I have seen, they are easy and you would just go and do them but I have seen a couple where it would be possible to get there and not be able to do it, accepting the challenge shows an interest and willingness to do it despite perhaps not actually being able to complete it.

Hope this makes sense! As I say, this is just my theory on it - could be that The Powers That Be had a completely diffent reason for having 'accepted' and 'completed.'

The only other point of it that I see is that by accepting a challenge, it gets listed in a special place in your profile. That makes it easier to see what challenges you are interested in. Right now we don't have any management tools for challenges, this is kinda like bookmarking a challenge you might want to do. But yeah, I don't really see the point of the "accepting" step.

Does anyone know if the challenges are still counting toward the total smiley count? Seems like I did some challenges early on and they increased my smiley count, but the ones I've done lately haven't increased my count. Did they decide not to count them?

That was changed about a week or less after the Challenge feature was released. There was a huge outcry both in the forums and on the Feedback site (where it counts) about challenges counting toward the total find count (note, that Jeremy didn't want them to count but other's at Groundspeak talked him into it). In any case, the community spoke up, and Groundspeak listened.

Accepting a challenge and therefore having it listed in my profile under challenges provides me with a quick link

Ooh, I didn't realize it saved it to the list! I just figured I'd have to accept the challenge first so that the creator is aware that I'm going for it, in case it took a few days/months for me to get around to it.