Sizing Photos To Add With Log

luvvinbird

I often like to add a snapshot when I log a find. I know I can't upload a 4.5 MB photo so I've been using Microsoft Office Picture Manager to re-size it. I've been resizing to a preset option which is, Document-Large (1024 x 768 px). The photos load no problem but I've seen much larger pictures on other people's logs. How large can I go? How are others resizing their photos. I prefer to continue using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Thank you.

Even a large HD monitor can only display a (approx)2 megapixel image - roughly around 1 MB jpeg. Just no need to upload any more than that. Files will upload much quicker if you resize them first - plus you can control the final output better if you resize them. I have long used a simple little program call "A smaller Image".

How are others resizing their photos. I prefer to continue using Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

I've previously been able to send files as big as 800x600 without them being resized. I selected a jpg compression that would keep the file well below the magic 160KB limit which I thought I read about once. Lately, all my pictures seem to get automatically resized smaller and granier than I'd expected, so maybe something's changed.

I usually color-correct, crop & size each photo by hand in Photoshop. But there are several free "thumbnail" programs that will size a bunch of photos automatically, which I've also sometimes used.

Here's one photo I've posted before, which was sent at 800x600 pixels, and stayed that size when uploaded:

c86a202b-1e58-4235-a753-be67c1114e0d.jpg

How are others resizing their photos. I prefer to continue using Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

I've previously been able to send files as big as 800x600 without them being resized. I selected a jpg compression that would keep the file well below the magic 160KB limit which I thought I read about once. Lately, all my pictures seem to get automatically resized smaller and granier than I'd expected, so maybe something's changed.

I usually color-correct, crop & size each photo by hand in Photoshop. But there are several free "thumbnail" programs that will size a bunch of photos automatically, which I've also sometimes used.

Here's one photo I've posted before, which was sent at 800x600 pixels, and stayed that size when uploaded:

c86a202b-1e58-4235-a753-be67c1114e0d.jpg

Yeah, that's the size I like! I'll try that the next time I upload an image. (That's a nice photo, BTW) Thank you to all for your help.

The way I look at it, the site's not flickr. I don't mind the way my pics look being resized by the site, and it takes less time (and energy) to wait for the site to upload and resize them, than it does for me to resize them myself. But that's just my personal opinion. I like my gallery fine enough. :P

I use a freeware program called IrfanView for resizing pictures before I upload them. I have GIMP and Photoshop and know how to use them. But for a quick resize, IrfanView is awesome. It's also useful for converting between different image formats.

And I always resize my pics before uploading them, because 1) it only takes a couple of clicks, 2) it's faster than uploading 14 Megapixel images, and 3) I'm a control freak.

To date, I have posted 4,017 pictures. :o

I make it a point to take a picture of me for every Cache that I find. <_<

I have found that it is NOT the picture size that is important but the file size of the picture.

Through the year I have discovered that a picture (file) size of 1.88 KB will not be auto-resized".

A picture (file) size that is greater than 1.88 KB will be auto-resized and look smaller and distorted.

Edited by SuperGoober