power trail with a total newb

I'm planning to do a power trail tomorrow in an area which has enough wild animals I figure I should bring someone with me.

Turns out, the only person I could rope into it is a total newb-never found a cache before-but thinks they want to give it a try.

It's a long drive to get there and I'm kind of gun-shy at the moment. I'm worried maybe she won't like it and we'll find a few and she'll have had enough.

Do you have to be totally obsessed to enjoy a power trail or is it possible for a newb to enjoy doing 29 in a row?

I'm planning to do a power trail tomorrow in an area which has enough wild animals I figure I should bring someone with me.

Turns out, the only person I could rope into it is a total newb-never found a cache before-but thinks they want to give it a try.

It's a long drive to get there and I'm kind of gun-shy at the moment. I'm worried maybe she won't like it and we'll find a few and she'll have had enough.

Do you have to be totally obsessed to enjoy a power trail or is it possible for a newb to enjoy doing 29 in a row?

I don't know. But I think that people that are new may or may not want to do a power trail. It more depends on the person themself. ;)

The real question is--how much does she like you?

I think you are taking quite a chance. I'd start a little slower if I were you. If she doesn't like it, it could very well put her off completely to geocaching and never want to give it another try. Unless you know that she's a real type-A triathalon kind of girl, I'd suggest you trust the same instincts that caused you to ask the question in the first place.

As stated by an earlier poster you might indeed wish to go with just a few to determine where her caching sentiments lie.

As guys we need to read the subtleties VEEERRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY well. We are rather lame to female sentiments ... so I have been pointedly told. ( watch out for that bear trap )

Also you might want to go with larger caches which may happen to have some swag. ( Micros seem to be off putting to some folks )

Best of luck.

Edited by humboldt flier

One other thing to consider (already touched on, I think):

When I'm invited along on a team hunt, I'm dead weight, and it shows. I slow everyone down, due to being so very, very lousy at Geocaching. It's embarassing. Your newby is an unknown variable -- what if your power trail turns out to be far fewer finds than you ever expected? Maybe she'll be an asset. I hope so.

Edited by kunarion

If the power-trail is only 29 caches long, you will probably not run into any issues.

It really depends. I'm assuming the power-trail is by car right?

If so, you could have it finished in a half-hour or an hour if you go really slow. I doubt anyone could get bored of doing *ANYTHING* within that short period of time.

We went today and things went well. It was by bike and about 50% were small containers and the rest micros. We did 15 together (took about 3 leisurely hours), then I went back later to do the rest alone. Looks like we may have a new convert! :D

Congrats on your approach, congrats on bringing someone new into the fold.

Congrats as well for your approach to finishing.