Windows 7 won't find Garmin eTRex

Icecreamminx

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can give a suggestion as to why my Garmin etrex H will not be recognised by my new computer which has Windows 7. I have downloaded the Garmin communicator and the extra drivers download but everytime I hook the GPS up to the USB, the computer starts to find it and then tells it can't find the drivers. The GPS works great on the other two computers which have Windows XP. I have read on the net that others are having this problem. I have contacted Garmin by email but they have not replied.Anyone have a suggestion?

If you have the 64 bit version of Win 7 (like most store bot PC have), that would be your problem. Drivers that work on a 32 bit OS like XP don't work on a 64 bit OS like Win7/Vista. You will need to find 64 bit drivers for the Serial to USB adapter your using.

That sounds like good advice. Where would i find the drivers? I have checked the Garmin site and have downloaded what they have but it didn't seem to help. I have uninstalled and re-installed a few times which didn't help.

Its a matter of IDing the chip used by the Serial to USB adapter then finding the drivers for that chip. You may find there are no 64 bit drivers for it. I which case you'll need to ask around to find what cable/adapter works for those using Win 7 64 bit.

Thanks for that. I tried a number of drivers, one from prolific but to no avail. I have just ordered another serial that says it is compatible with Windows 7. Fingers crossed.