The First Estonian Geocoin is a go!

jpbarr

Ok, so I have started the ball rolling on the first geocoin for Estonia and as this is my first time doing anything like this all comments and advice is welcome.

Instead of having what alot of national coins have I'm not putting a picture of the country. Instead I have taken the most known national symbols. But a few geocachers here have asked to include the first verse of an Estonia poem about traveling and coming home that every Estonian knows. The only thing is that there is now English translation, so it would be written in Estonian.

My question is, would that stop people from outside of Estonia from wanting one?

Edited by Eartha

Ok, so I have started the ball rolling on the first geocoin for Estonia and as this is my first time doing anything like this all comments and advice is welcome.

Instead of having what alot of national coins have I'm not putting a picture of the country. Instead I have taken the most known national symbols. But a few geocachers here have asked to include the first verse of an Estonia poem about traveling and coming home that every Estonian knows. The only thing is that there is now English translation, so it would be written in Estonian.

My question is, would that stop people from outside of Estonia from wanting one?

In my opinion, should not be an obstacle but rather the opposite, because your idea is a representative coin of the country, yet it is always preferable understand the meaning of the phrase, ...and symbols.

Anyway, you buy a coin if like it, although not understand what mean.

I don't think a poem in Estonian on an Estonian coin with Estonian national symbols is going to disturb any coin buyers interested in coins from far flung places. It's fun that you're not going into the typical direction of having the flag and monuments represent your national identity.

Thanks, this is good feedback even though we are just at the start. I have been looking over past geocoin threads and want to know, is it normal to wait until you have the official artwork before you post designs on the forum?

If it's a geocoin, that is trackable, then you can talk whatever you want about your coin, before or after the artwork, it doesn't matter.

You can wait until the coin is ready for sale, or discusse your project from its beginning, as you want ;)B)

Edited by manu luq

Yes it is a geocoin and it will definately be trackable :) I am already talking to a few companies for quotes but I have to admit that the design stage seems, at least to me, to be the easiest. My mother is a profesional artist and I studied graphics. Trying to raise the money to pay for it will be the hardest :P

Edited by jpbarr

I'll buy a couple of eesti coins!

Thats great to know. But as this is my first coin, trying to do a pre-sale and have money up front I think is going to be almost impossible. There is currently hot debate on the Estonian geocaching forum as to the final design :) So much so that I have had to say "if you want to take part in deciding on the design then you got the help pay for it" :P

When I have a final design I'll post them here.

Oh, that's nice! I will definitely buy a couple of these. My best friend from grade school is from Estonia, so I have always felt a particular fondness for the country. Can you tell us the English translation of the saying?

Thanks, that's good to know :) As to the translation, I will be posting it in English as soon as I can find the best one. There seems to be a couple of translations of this but being a poem some have taken bit too much artistic license :P

Thanks to discovering "crowdfunding" using rockethub I have reach 14% of my goal to get this made. Huge thanks has to go to the Czech geocachers that have really got behind this project. Check out the link on my previous post, this Geocoin may get made sooner than I thought :)

I thought I would keep you all up to date.

I seem to be getting some good exposure around the Geocaching world, the Estonian Geocoin project has caught a few eyes.

The Podcacher Podcast did a segment on their last show about it

Listen to it here: http://www.podcacher.com/ Show 392

And on top of that I was asked to do an interview for http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com, online caching magazine, which I did today. How cool is that?

A massive thanks to those of you that have contributed to the project. We are now a quarter of the way to our goal!!!! Some people have prefered to send via Paypal so I have started to offer that option with the rewards being the same as on Rockethub

My Paypal account is: beeswax.ou@gmail.com

Lets keep this going and get this geocoin made

Right, one last push while the project is on Rockethub. How close to the goal can we get in thetwo days?

Remember there are some great Geocaching products up for grabs when you give to the project, including the Estonian Geocoin itself.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/10832-estonia-s-first-geocoin

Of course if you, like others, prefer to give via paypal then you can do that too: beeswax.ou@gmail.com

Thanks again to everyone that donated so far and I hope more of you will like this Geocoin to help too.

I am sure there is more of you out there that would love one of these geocoins.

Big thanks to all who came to my Halloween event, we raised a further €56 for the project :)

Just done the final calculations on this project and I need just €430 to make it happen. That's 21 more people to donate.

Well it has been a lot of hard work but the First Estonian Geocoin is a go!!!

The artwork is with the Geocoin company and we are working out the final details now. I will be minting 250 coins at this time. I am hoping they will be ready before Christmas but what with the usual Christmas mail problems I will be happy with early January :)

Anyway, those of you that would like one of these great Geocoins please send me a PM with your details and how many you want.

Well it has been a lot of hard work but the First Estonian Geocoin is a go!!!

The artwork is with the Geocoin company and we are working out the final details now. I will be minting 250 coins at this time. I am hoping they will be ready before Christmas but what with the usual Christmas mail problems I will be happy with early January :)

Anyway, those of you that would like one of these great Geocoins please send me a PM with your details and how many you want.

Is there just one metal? How much will they be?

Oops, I forgot to put all the final details :)

estoniav03.jpg

Coin stats:

dimensions: 45mm

thickness: 3mm

features: multilevel design

icon: yes

tracking: geocaching.com

finishes: Antique Silver

Price is €12 each + postage (€4.50 for up to 5 coins includes track & trace)

Edited by jpbarr

Sorry for not putting any news up for a while. With Christmas, work and the seasonal viruses I have not had much time for anything else :P All the details and mint art have been finalised and I will be putting in my order during the first week of January. I am planning on unveiling the coin on the 24th February which is Estonia's independence day. :)

Happy New Year to all and it starts with a my first Geocoin produced by me!!! B)

The Estonian Geocoin has been ordered! I expect the samples to be ready around January 17th and the rest of the coins around the 10th of February.

The initial mint will be 250 coins and already nearly 100 are spoken for :)

Reservations are through me so if you would like to get your hands on this great first of it's kind from Estonia PM me through my profile.

Coin stats:

dimensions: 45mm

thickness: 3mm

features: multilevel design

icon: yes

tracking: geocaching.com

finishes: Antique Silver

Price is €12 each + postage (€4.50 for up to 5 coins includes track & trace)

That is great news, jpbarr! Congratulations on launching this project. Funny coincidence about the arrival - I'll be passing through Tallinn on Feb 10th myself.

Lol, are you in Tallinn for long? maybe we can have a meet up or even better a meet & greet event :) And if the coins are with me on time you could be the first to get theirs B)