Cache Reviewer Questions

Abcede97

I live in Morgan Hill, CA. I recently noticed a member who recorded 839! caches in one day. <_<

This seems obviously impossible.

Does anyone oversee this? Does it need to be reported? Does anyone care?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=280096

It IS possible.

No one oversees this (cause the power trail owners encourage creative find techiques).

Not many care.

*** Edit to add that if the 869 caches are all over the planet on the same day then Groundspeak may step in.

Edited by GeoBain

I live in Morgan Hill, CA. I recently noticed a member who recorded 839! caches in one day. <_<

Were the caches perhaps in Nevada?

They were in Calif. Location for "Geocachers" is San Jose, CA

I thought maybe this was some sort of Group, but the profile says they are a Computer programmer

Edited by Abcede97

I thought maybe this was some sort of Group, but the profile says they are a Computer programmer

The caches were not by any chance located near Barstow, where they? Doing 839 in one day near there is quite possible. I did 465 in one day and did not cache for the whole day.

Without looking at the account in question, I'm guessing they spent a day on one of the big power trails.

Policing logging habits is not a reviewer task. We review and publish caches. We disable and archive caches when there is a listing guideline issue such as the maintenance guideline. We assist cache owners with maintenance tasks like correcting coordinates. We answer questions about how to use the site, how to hide a cache, how to comply with a land manager's permit process, etc.

If, on the other hand, the large number of finds are scattered among caches all over the world, then the account can be reported to Groundspeak for abuse of the website functions.

Give us the name. We'll hunt him down, ummmm, look it up for you. ani_angel.gif

Give us the name. We'll hunt him down, ummmm, look it up for you. ani_angel.gif

Okay, what is a "power trial"??? If my math is correct (not my strong suit) there are over 1000 minutes in an 18 hour day, so 839 would be more than a cache every minute and a half in 18 hours, I find that hard to believe. I'd like to know how you can manage more than 400 in a day, I mean, it takes me more than 3 minutes to log a open a cache, log it, and walk to the next, even in a place where there a lots of caches within 600 feet of each other. How did you manage more than 400 in a day?

Okay, what is a "power trial"??? If my math is correct (not my strong suit) there are over 1000 minutes in an 18 hour day, so 839 would be more than a cache every minute and a half in 18 hours, I find that hard to believe. I'd like to know how you can manage more than 400 in a day, I mean, it takes me more than 3 minutes to log a open a cache, log it, and walk to the next, even in a place where there a lots of caches within 600 feet of each other. How did you manage more than 400 in a day?

I think it was called a Power Trail, but I have not received a reply to my question, What is it?

I agree that 839 in one day seems crazy, but if you read the replys to my posts, more than one person says it IS possible. ?? Anyway I think Im done posting anything. I just asked a CO if he should retire a cache that hasnt been found in over 2 years & the last 3 posts were DNFs. He told me to Go Bother someone else! Wow

A power trail is a large number of usually identically hidden caches along a road, They are designed to be extremely easy to find. People have made the process quicker by forming teams and dividing up responsibilities. Someone drives, someone gets out and finds the cache etc. To speed up the process more some teams start the trail with one or more presigned logs and exchange that cache for the existing one, Also if a cache isn't found quickly, it is replaced and logged. It's a different kind of caching, Try searching the forum for power trail or world record,

I think it was called a Power Trail, but I have not received a reply to my question, What is it?

I agree that 839 in one day seems crazy, but if you read the replys to my posts, more than one person says it IS possible. ?? Anyway I think Im done posting anything. I just asked a CO if he should retire a cache that hasnt been found in over 2 years & the last 3 posts were DNFs. He told me to Go Bother someone else! Wow

Take a look at the area around GC2J17A or GC2zK7J and you get an idea what a power trail is. Stamps, don't sign and don't use stickers. Don't walk 600 feet, only walk 60-70 feet, drive the rest of the way. Be able to spot the caches real fast. Yeah, I did the math and found out the math was wrong. Some have done all of the ET in a 24 hour period.

Some people love to fish. We bait the hook, throw our line in and hopefully snag one. We feel really awesome when we do.

Some people like to watch others fish and tell everyone that they "went fishing".

Some people take it a step further and tell everyone that they "caught some fish".

Yet others bring along their own fish bought from the market, throw them in the water and claim that they caught it themselves while their friend reels another in.

Me..I prefer to bait my own hook and catch it myself.

Some people love to fish. We bait the hook, throw our line in and hopefully snag one. We feel really awesome when we do.

Some people like to watch others fish and tell everyone that they "went fishing".

Some people take it a step further and tell everyone that they "caught some fish".

Yet others bring along their own fish bought from the market, throw them in the water and claim that they caught it themselves while their friend reels another in.

Absolutely Right. I totally agree! You hit the nail on the head. :D

Analogy may not be correct.

You may like to bait the hook, throw your line in, and hopefully snag one. The power trail cachers are more likes trawlers they throw in there mile long nets and haul them in full of fish.

The point is they are fishing, not making up fish stories. Their methods might be repugnant to the rod and real angler, but so far they are still legal.

You may like to bait the hook, throw your line in, and hopefully snag one. The power trail cachers are more likes trawlers they throw in there mile long nets and haul them in full of fish.

The point is they are fishing, not making up fish stories. Their methods might be repugnant to the rod and real angler, but so far they are still legal.

I think power trailers use dynamite, instead of a net. I dont see the enjoyment or bragging rights in that method, but I have always said: To each, his own.

I think power trailers use dynamite, instead of a net. I dont see the enjoyment or bragging rights in that method, but I have always said: To each, his own.

:lol::lol::lol:

Did someone hack your account? Aren't you the live and let live gal (or guy). :lol:

Did someone hack your account? Aren't you the live and let live gal (or guy). :lol:
Nah, it's obviously a team account. We're talking with "Trouble" right now.

Is it possible the person was doing "catch up logging" and forgot to change the date to the actual dates he/she found the caches? I know a few cachers who do not log their finds immediately or "promptly" and get a few hundred behind before they do a marathon of logging. Not the best method, but RL gets in their way I suppose. Did you by chance ask this person if this might be the case?

Is it possible the person was doing "catch up logging" and forgot to change the date to the actual dates he/she found the caches? I know a few cachers who do not log their finds immediately or "promptly" and get a few hundred behind before they do a marathon of logging. Not the best method, but RL gets in their way I suppose. Did you by chance ask this person if this might be the case?

I asked this person a question about a specific cache & got a very nasty reply. So I am no longer going to waste my time on this person. I am just going to worry about myself.

Nah, it's obviously a team account. We're talking with "Trouble" right now.

Oh gosh, I typed that before going to bed. I was going to edit that. :D Well, you know, to reinforce the point that I was kidding around. Yes, 839 caches in a day is very possible on a power trail, and with a group, and especially with the "moving the cache down the road" method.

Funny, no "Trouble" stays away from forums, they make her crazy. They make me crazy too, but I can't help myself! Anyway, I wasn't saying I thought there was cheating going on, I just was wondering how it would be physically possible to do over 800 caches in one day. Now, I've educated myself, taken a look at the ET and Route 66 trails, I can see how with a group it would be possible. Might be fun, I can't see trying to do the whole trail in a day, not my cuppa, but I gotta say, that ET trail looks interesting, I love how they did the "alien head" and "space ship", cachers certainly are an imaginative lot!

The power trail cachers are more likes trawlers they throw in there mile long nets and haul them in full of fish.

Even the trawler operators wouldn't stoop so low as to pull fish out of their pockets, claiming them as caught finds. <_<

This is simply catch and release. You take the fish you caught in one place and release them in place of the fish you caught down the road. If you come to a spot that has been over fished (none left to catch) then you might take a fish out your pocket to restock the area for the next fisherman.

Edited by tozainamboku
The power trail cachers are more likes trawlers they throw in there mile long nets and haul them in full of fish.

Even the trawler operators wouldn't stoop so low as to pull fish out of their pockets, claiming them as caught finds. <_<

This is simply catch and release. You take the fish you caught in one place and release them in place of the fish you caught down the road. If you come to a spot that has been over fished (none left to catch) then you might take a fish out your pocket to restock the area for the next fisherman.

I'm not sure how they do it in California...but where I come from we catch and release in the same lake...and I'm certain that pulling one out of your shorts would be considered MUCHO bad form, not to mention downright nasty. :rolleyes:

I gotta say, that ET trail looks interesting, I love how they did the "alien head" and "space ship", cachers certainly are an imaginative lot!
Please note that the Head Alien series and the UFO series are not part of the ET trail, and you are not supposed to drive from one cache to another in those series.

Hey, that might be a good name for this technique. It isn't pejorative the way "three cache monte" is. But it describes nicely what people are doing with the film cans.

Of course, the analogy breaks down at the beginning and end of the numbers run, since catch-and-release fishermen don't bring a fish with them to stock the river, and they don't take the last catch home with them. But in between, it works.

Wow.....When I do catch and release it is at the exact same spot. So I guess in essence all Geocachers practice catch and release. Its the moving it down the road part thats - eh -- a bit fishy......

Is *is* possible to hit that many caches in a day - not easy, but certainly possible if you have the inclination.

As mentioned you can pull that off on one of the big power trails - a stretch with a cache every 0.1 of a mile (the minimum distance), all hidden in a similar fashion so you can drive up, hop out the car, mark the log book, hop back in the car and on to the next. Repeat that 900 times and you have yourself a power trail. Seen as pointless numbers missions by many, a challenge or a silly adventure with your mates by others.

The other thought is, were they all actually *visited* the same day? If someone spends a holiday out geocaching, they could easily get that many caches, and depending on how they log and date everything, it is not entirely unbelieveable to have them all logged on the same day (dated wrongly).

At the same time it is also possible that someone has been armchair logging, which is generally up to the cache owner to catch by checking the logs and making sure they have physically been there.

Well I can see there are 2 schools of thought on this subject.

I really dont see the sport in going down a straight line with preconceived cahes in place.

But there are people like me who are more into the "Hunt" & others that are just into the "numbers".

I like the idea that I can look back and remember the locations,& the "quest" & the intrigue in many

of the many clever camos. Or you can remember your trip down a highway.

Again to each his own. At least now I know why some people have such high numbers, and I don't feel so

bad thinking my days of only finding 10 or so were dismal. Cache ON!

Wow.....When I do catch and release it is at the exact same spot. So I guess in essence all Geocachers practice catch and release. Its the moving it down the road part thats - eh -- a bit fishy......

Sure, but you're not trawling. Would you really expect the trawler to go back and release their catch where the first put in their net or would it make more sense to dump the fish where they are after hauling in the nets?

This fishing analogy is really getting stretched. I said early on that trawlers' methods might be repugnant to rod and reel fishermen. That's about the only part of the analogy that really holds true. Those who don't care for power trails are going to express some disgust at the methods used by power trail cachers who attempt to get high numbers of finds in one day.

Well I can see there are 2 schools of thought on this subject.

I really dont see the sport in going down a straight line with preconceived cahes in place.

But there are people like me who are more into the "Hunt" & others that are just into the "numbers".

I like the idea that I can look back and remember the locations,& the "quest" & the intrigue in many

of the many clever camos. Or you can remember your trip down a highway.

Again to each his own. At least now I know why some people have such high numbers, and I don't feel so

bad thinking my days of only finding 10 or so were dismal. Cache ON!

Some people have high numbers because they like caching and do a lot of it.

Some people take this "Sport" way too seriously. Its just a fun game.

And yet some people get defensive & nasty.

I like making new friends with new endeavours. Those people are Not my cup of tea.

I'll just continue to enjoy myself & stay off the message boards.

Some people take this "Sport" way too seriously. Its just a fun game.

They sure do. If only they could live and let live they wouldn't be concerned about someone recording 839! caches in one day or whether or not anyone oversees it or whether or not they should report it.

:blink:

I just re-read each and every post in this thread.

I read nothing that could be deemed "mean spirited" or "unfriendly".

Ditto. I saw a lot of helpful posts answering the question and providing further intel and analogies. Color me confuzzled.

I'm not only confuzzled..I'm discombobulated. :P Maybe someone is just a little bit overly sensitive?

Yes I am definitely sorry I ever posted on this site, as it has shown me the very unfriendliest cachers.

I would like to end this discussion, Please do not keep dragging it on & on.

I am so disappointed in the mean spirited people that replied.

So you get a nasty reply from the 839 logger presumably via email and you want to call posters in the THREAD mean spirited? Yes, you probably should go ahead and hit the report button and ask a mod to close the thread and then avoid the forums.

*** edited poster to logger.

Edited by GeoBain

I think people are being a little hard on the OP.

The OP sees someone log 839 caches in one day. He/she doesn't understand how this can happen unless someone is logging bogus find logs. People explain about power trails. The OP responds that they've read up on power trails and now understand that someone could log that many caches. The OP later responds to a post that they contacted the person about a specific caches and got a nasty reply to mind their own business, so that is what they will do from now on.

A discussion on fishing follows.

The OP indicates they understand that some people like to cache for numbers and others don't and indicates that he/she prefers the "hunt" to a power trail experience.

The OP then comments that some people are taking this too seriously (big mistake) and gets attacked for starting this thread.

It seem like the OP learned something from this thread and then is attacked for not knowing this at the start. :huh:

Quite frankly, the forum regulars should be encouraging the OP for asking questions and they having an open mind to understand and accept the answers, and not attacking the OP because they learned something.

Edited by tozainamboku