What do we agree on?

Awhile back I started a post about things we have learned while reading the forums. I have really been enjoying reading the forums because I have learned a lot and that matters to me. I am a planner and a thinker and I appreciate everyone's ideas even or especially when they point out something I never would have considered. At the same time, I think there has been too much focus on where we differ. I have been excited about the passion I have read here and I have come to understand why those who have been caching for many many years feel protective about Geocaching and anything that could impact the community. Could we come up with a thread of things we share in common?

1. We all have opinions

2. We are passionate about geocaching

3. We all have our favorite types of containers and locations

4. We all read the forum posts.

What else?

Awhile back I started a post about things we have learned while reading the forums. I have really been enjoying reading the forums because I have learned a lot and that matters to me. I am a planner and a thinker and I appreciate everyone's ideas even or especially when they point out something I never would have considered. At the same time, I think there has been too much focus on where we differ. I have been excited about the passion I have read here and I have come to understand why those who have been caching for many many years feel protective about Geocaching and anything that could impact the community. Could we come up with a thread of things we share in common?

1. We all have opinions

What else?

5. When someone posts anything in the forum, it will be taken way out of context and start a knock down drag out brawl.

1. We all have opinions

What else?

5. When someone posts anything in the forum, it will be taken way out of context and start a knock down drag out brawl.

And just WHAT do you mean by THAT!

:P

OK, so do you like all bugs or can we put some on the do not like list like tics?

Second question, do we all agree that GeoBain is now GeoBrain and he needs to edit his name?

Ticks and fleas I do not care for. Beetles, crickets, spiders, etc. are lots of fun.

I'd consider the name change, but I just made one about a week ago and I'm actually just too stupid not to know I'm supposed to hate bugs.

Edited by GeoBain

LOL, well we could start making a list of common approved of bug types. :D

1. Ladybugs (even if they are guys)

2. Butterflies

3. Dragonflies

4. Travel bugs

5. ___________?

Moths

Butterflies

Caterpillars

Dragon flies

Mantids

Walking Sticks

Beetles

Grasshoppers

Crickets

Centipede

Millipede

Spiders

Katydids

Lots of cools bugs

2. Butterflies

3. Dragonflies

4. Travel bugs

5. ___________?

Moths (+1)

Butterflies (+1)

Caterpillars (+1)

Dragon flies (+1)

Mantids (+1)

Walking Sticks (+1)

Beetles (+1)

Grasshoppers (+1)

Crickets (+1)

Centipede (-1) they creep me out

Millipede (-1) ditto

Spiders (~) if they stay in their space and I stay in mine

Katydids (?) I have never known one before.

Lots of cools bugs

approved of bug types. :D

2. Butterflies

3. Dragonflies

4. Travel bugs

5. ___________?

Something that moved near the top of my list after moving to Georgia is the lightnin' bug (firefly).

The only bugs I don't like are ticks, mosquitoes, and yellow jackets (violent wasps).

approved of bug types. :D

2. Butterflies

3. Dragonflies

4. Travel bugs

5. ___________?

Something that moved near the top of my list after moving to Georgia is the lightnin' bug (firefly).

The only bugs I don't like are ticks, mosquitoes, and yellow jackets (violent wasps).

How in the heck could I forget lightnin' bugs.

Also add gnats to the list of don't like. Don't think y'all get them that far up. But you do get the no seeums, right?

2. Butterflies

3. Dragonflies

4. Travel bugs

5. ___________?

Moths

Butterflies

Caterpillars

Dragon flies

Mantids

Walking Sticks

Beetles

Grasshoppers

Crickets

Centipede

Millipede

Spiders

Katydids

Lots of cools bugs

You forgot earwigs.

OK, so we ~almost~ agree that we don't like spiders, ticks, gnats or no seeums.

I would like to add, for the purpose of discussion, the possibility of adding roaches to the agreed upon do not like list with the exception that WarNinjas has an appreciation for their business possibilities.

There is a lovely cacher here that places plastic ones as a signature item. Even that creeps me out.

I would like to add, for the purpose of discussion, the possibility of adding roaches to the agreed upon do not like list with the exception that WarNinjas has an appreciation for their business possibilities.

There is a lovely cacher here that places plastic ones as a signature item. Even that creeps me out.

Its all good I am just messing with you. I can go along with hating all the bugs! My company gives out some plastic termites and roaches that I often put into caches! There is one local cacher that collects all the termites and logs them as taking the big ant. I think it is great. I have not corrected him yet.

-WarNinjas

I have to fight for the lowly spider. Tarantulas make awesome pets and most spiders are actually good around the house since they cut down on the fly population and eat other bugs you might not like. But brown recluse, black widow? Don't care much for them.

This phenomena is actually codified in what is widely known as "Godwin's Law", which states "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

It is a point of personal sadness for me, that the community bond and camaraderie that ought to stem from our communal interest in geocaching, has little effect in our forums at all. At the end of the day, the conversational ethos of our forums, is not far evolved from that of yahoo chat rooms.

This phenomena is actually codified in what is widely known as "Godwin's Law", which states "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

It is a point of personal sadness for me, that the community bond and camaraderie that ought to stem from our communal interest in geocaching, has little effect in our forums at all. At the end of the day, the conversational ethos of our forums, is not far evolved from that of yahoo chat rooms.

My personal experience in these forums is very far from that. While my opinions differ considerably from some here, and while I honestly don't like everybody here, I have made some very good friends. For the most part, the disagreement is honest disagreement, which, in my opinion is far superior to dishonest agreement. I would love it if you contributed here more than you do. You would add much.