My mypop is hosed. Anyone else?

robertlipe

I use the 'mypop' facility to show new threads and replies to eliminate the number of times I need to re-pull a thread. (In all, I'd have to say that it works substantially less well than the average usenet reader from 15 years ago, but it's still less painful than 'show new since last login'.) However yesterday and today, mypop has shown no new traffic. 'Topics I'm watching' simply shows "no new posts or replies".

I've deleted and resubscribed to my groups.

I've logged out and in.

I've deleted both cookies opentopic.Groundspeak.com dropped into my browser.

I've checked three different web broswers.

I've restarted all the different browsers.

I'm out of sugar pill/magic bullet solutions. My gut tells me that if it was something globally broken there'd be an outcry but I've changed about everything I can think to change on my end with no success.

Ideas?

I changed my preferences to include a daily digest by email, just to see if that would work. This morning the digest was in my emailbox. However, from the discussion groups, there are still no new messages listed when I click on MyPop, even though I have subscriptions and there have been new posts.

I can now confirm that it works as well as it ever did. Thanx, Elias.

But I do wonder if I'm driving mypop optimally. My goal would be to see only things I haven't seen before. When there are 493 posts in a thread and a 494'th is added is there any way I can avoid seeing those first 493 again? After all, the server knows the last article that it sent me, it knows the timestamps of everything involved, and it keeps that information on the server so how can I set things so it quits showing me the initial traffic over and over?

I do think this newfangled web stuff has a place and just might catch on, but I have yet to see a web "discussion forum" that I like as well as even the worst usenet news reader...[:D]

But I do wonder if I'm driving mypop optimally. My goal would be to see only things I haven't seen before. When there are 493 posts in a thread and a 494'th is added is there any way I can avoid seeing those first 493 again? After all, the server knows the last article that it sent me, it knows the timestamps of everything involved, and it keeps that information on the server so how can I set things so it quits showing me the initial traffic over and over?

I do think this newfangled web stuff has a place and just might catch on, but I have yet to see a web "discussion forum" that I like as well as even the worst usenet news reader...[icon_wink.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Excellent!

quote:

Unfortunately, I think you're using MyPop as optimally as it can be used. icon_biggrin.gif Its true that for users that also did immediate e-mail notifications (including replies) that they would be able to do what you want, but for people who don't want all the e-mails, this would be nearly impossible to implement.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Excellent!

quote:

Unfortunately, I think you're using MyPop as optimally as it can be used. icon_biggrin.gif Its true that for users that also did immediate e-mail notifications (including replies) that they would be able to do what you want, but for people who don't want all the e-mails, this would be nearly impossible to implement.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

One thing I did notice, my email digest contained messages older than when a particular thread was subscribed to. Perhaps it was just catching up.

Keep an eye on this and let me know if it keeps happening. I don't do any digests myself, so I haven't noticed this.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

[

-Elias

As a programmer, I'm wondering if you left off "in infopop" from the end of that sentence. Certainly it's not impossible to implement the feature. The web site knows when we last viewed messages and we know that it knows becuase it has to get that information for mypop from somewhere. When displaying the messages, just start from that timestamp instead of the beginning of the thread. Poof. No more "page 1 of a 3 page thread" silliness. It could earn bonus points for optionally including older messages that were edited and such.

Of course, there's a bunch of details like "leave thread unviewed" or "rewind" and I think I understand that you're a consumer of this infopop thing and not a developer. I just wanted to clarify that it IS possible to implement. rn, trn, tin, and nn were doing stuff like this in the 80's - it's not one of the harder problems to solve in computer science. icon_razz.gif

Still, thanx for the hand. "Working as well as it is supposed to" is still better than it was earlier int he week.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

[

-Elias

As a programmer, I'm wondering if you left off "in infopop" from the end of that sentence. Certainly it's not impossible to implement the feature. The web site knows when we last viewed messages and we know that it knows becuase it has to get that information for mypop from somewhere. When displaying the messages, just start from that timestamp instead of the beginning of the thread. Poof. No more "page 1 of a 3 page thread" silliness. It could earn bonus points for optionally including older messages that were edited and such.

Of course, there's a bunch of details like "leave thread unviewed" or "rewind" and I think I understand that you're a consumer of this infopop thing and not a developer. I just wanted to clarify that it IS possible to implement. rn, trn, tin, and nn were doing stuff like this in the 80's - it's not one of the harder problems to solve in computer science. icon_razz.gif

Still, thanx for the hand. "Working as well as it is supposed to" is still better than it was earlier int he week.