Help with a puzzle

MazdaRoy

Hi all,

I am not looking for a direct answer but some guidence to help solve a puzzle cache. The cache has been out for just over the year with no finders.

If you feel you can help with matter please PM me as I dont want to spoil the fun for anyone else.

I know there are cachers out there who love to solve hard puzzles. (no you dont need to be in the area to solve it.

Many many thanks in advance....

The cache is GC1VDR0GC1VDR0

As it's only just been published, and has no finds so far...

The only clue is that the coordinates at the top of the cache page are within 2 to 3 miles of the cache. :)

how much did the ticket on the time machine cost? :lol:

Hi all,

I am not looking for a direct answer but some guidence to help solve a puzzle cache. The cache has been out for just over the year with no finders.

If you feel you can help with matter please PM me as I dont want to spoil the fun for anyone else.

I know there are cachers out there who love to solve hard puzzles. (no you dont need to be in the area to solve it.

Many many thanks in advance....

The cache is GC1VDR0GC1VDR0

do a google search for all the information provided and you will notice a patern

Edited by t4e

Please don't post spoilers for this puzzle in the forum. I'm sure the CO wouldn't be happy about it. And it is a violation of the Terms of Use for the site.

where you see spoilers? :blink:

Getting dangerously close to solving this in the forums, guys. As Coldgears would say, that's "bad forum".

no need to get seriously agigtated now, the solution is not even close

Please don't post spoilers for this puzzle in the forum. I'm sure the CO wouldn't be happy about it. And it is a violation of the Terms of Use for the site.

Getting dangerously close to solving this in the forums, guys. As Coldgears would say, that's "bad forum".

Hints have already been posted that the cache owner did not chose to put on his cache page, have they not?

It is considered poor form to ask for puzzle hints in the forums. It's also considered poor form to give canned responses..

Normally I would not ask for help in solving a puzzle in the forum, but this one has nearly taken over my life at the moment. so as forums are meant to bring people together and many heads are better than one, I thought I would give it a shot, but only after I had tried everything I could think of to try and solve it.

Also I am not also asking for someone to give me the answer, just maybe a different angle to look at it, than I already had tried.

It may only be a liitle tip/clue that would send me on the correct path to solving it.

If it is going to cause a problem on the forums then I will ask the mods to lock the thread.

Hints have already been posted that the cache owner did not chose to put on his cache page, have they not?

i wouldn't consider anything here a hint...unless "google search" is a hint

It is considered poor form to ask for puzzle hints in the forums. It's also considered poor form to give canned responses..

Normally I would not ask for help in solving a puzzle in the forum, but this one has nearly taken over my life at the moment. so as forums are meant to bring people together and many heads are better than one, I thought I would give it a shot, but only after I had tried everything I could think of to try and solve it.

Also I am not also asking for someone to give me the answer, just maybe a different angle to look at it, than I already had tried.

It may only be a liitle tip/clue that would send me on the correct path to solving it.

If it is going to cause a problem on the forums then I will ask the mods to lock the thread.

It's up to the cache owner if it's appropriate to be partially solved here.

If you guys want to solve a puzzle in the forums, try GC2AM7W or GC2QMMW. I am the cache owner and I approve of it. :D They are both the same puzzle, only the first one is PMO. Have fun! :P

If something as insignificant as solving a puzzle so you can go into the woods and find a plastic container with trash in it has taken over your life maybe you need to reevaluate your life. This is a hobby for enjoyment. Relax a little, put it on the ignore list and move on. I mean 54 hours working on a puzzle when you could be outside hiking, biking or driving to a location and enjoying the experience seems a bit much.

If something as insignificant as solving a puzzle so you can go into the woods and find a plastic container with trash in it has taken over your life maybe you need to reevaluate your life. This is a hobby for enjoyment. Relax a little, put it on the ignore list and move on.

Normally I would not ask for help in solving a puzzle in the forum, but this one has nearly taken over my life at the moment. so as forums are meant to bring people together and many heads are better than one, I thought I would give it a shot, but only after I had tried everything I could think of to try and solve it.Also I am not also asking for someone to give me the answer, just maybe a different angle to look at it, than I already had tried. It may only be a liitle tip/clue that would send me on the correct path to solving it.If it is going to cause a problem on the forums then I will ask the mods to lock the thread.
If something as insignificant as solving a puzzle so you can go into the woods and find a plastic container with trash in it has taken over your life maybe you need to reevaluate your life. This is a hobby for enjoyment. Relax a little, put it on the ignore list and move on. I mean 54 hours working on a puzzle when you could be outside hiking, biking or driving to a location and enjoying the experience seems a bit much.If something as insignificant as solving a puzzle so you can go into the woods and find a plastic container with trash in it has taken over your life maybe you need to reevaluate your life. This is a hobby for enjoyment. Relax a little, put it on the ignore list and move on.

I do get out and about, but when your stuck indoor babysitting etc then I like to work on puzzles. I do have other hobbies and do have a life (of sorts). Its just frustrating that I cant get to the bottom of this.

i wouldn't consider anything here a hint...unless "google search" is a hint

Then you missed a post.

A while back, The Rat offered a puzzle-solving class as an event cache. His slides are available here:

http://thegba.net/resources/general_information.php

Among the tips he offered:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

I wouldn't like to see any spoilers in the forum, hence why I asked people to PM with any ideas on it. The info I put is what is on the cache page.

Since the cache hasn't been found yet, presumably there are others that are working on the puzzle. Rather than ask for hints from someone that has solved it (or is farther along than you) why not ask if someone would like to collaborate toward a solution? I've done this several times in the past with varying results. You can bounce ideas back and forth rather than just being on the receiving end of work that someone else did. I assume, that after working on it for 50+ hours you have something to share with someone else that is working on it.

For what it's worth, I'm the CO for this one! :ph34r:

I'm quite surprised that this still hasn't been solved - from the emails etc. that I've received there are a few who are on the right track and one in particular who is really close to the solution. B) I do want to see it solved - hence the various updated hints and clues over the past year but I don't want to hand it to anyone on a plate either.

Nirad's advice is probably the most useful here..... sort of..... :P:huh:

A correct and properly explained solution landed in my Inbox whilst I was sleeping - unfortunately it came from entirely the wrong continent to enable a find - I think the OP here, Mazdaroy, did collaborate on this solution, so hopefully he can find the actual cache and not only claim FTF but clear his head of all thoughts of this puzzle! :laughing:

Time to devise another one then! :ph34r:

A correct and properly explained solution landed in my Inbox whilst I was sleeping - unfortunately it came from entirely the wrong continent to enable a find - I think the OP here, Mazdaroy, did collaborate on this solution, so hopefully he can find the actual cache and not only claim FTF but clear his head of all thoughts of this puzzle! :laughing:

That's the spirit. I just started working on one in Rome (I'm in the U.S.) because I'm going to be there in about a month. It had gone unsolved for about two months then someone solved and found it the day after I started looking at the puzzle. It's a 5 star difficulty but I've got a month to figure it out.

Well I didnt get the FtF, but as long as I get to finally tick this off and put it to bed. :)