Coding GCxxx waypoints

iresqu1

Would it be possible to code the GCxxx waypoints in a way that you would be able to tell what kind of cache it is? Such as using a "V" at the end of the waypoint to denote a "virtual" cache; ex. GCxxxV, or GCxxxM for a multi-cache.

This way when you download a lot of cache waypoints into your GPS you have a clue as to what you are looking for without having a printout of the cache page with you.

What do you guys think? I am new here.

Thanks for your opinions.

It's been beaten to death here over and over. Do a search and you'll see.

Your suggestion won't cut it. That'll narrow the number of available caches which has already run out once.

I've always liked the idea of getting rid of the G in GCxxxx and making it a V or M or whatever. But, near as I can tell TPTB would rather keep their branding than make it practical.

Doesn't matter anyway. Use the method CR suggests. If you have the necessary skills you can do as I did and write a script the snags the GPX file from your email app and spins it automatically. I never have to touch 'em manually.

But... if you're not a member you gotta do it their way.

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

quote:
Originally posted by General Bracket:

But... if you're not a member you gotta do it their way.

I guess to only point out the obvious ... if they are posting in this forum then they must be a member.
I suppose I should point out the obvious and say that General Bracket quite obviously mant "subscribing member" as opposed to "non-subscribing member". Both the former and the latter can read and post here, but only the former has the power of Pocket Queries.

quote:

...near as I can tell TPTB would rather keep their branding than make it practical.

There's no need to be rude about it, GB. Having been close to many discussions with rangers and land management authorities, I would quite certainly agree with Jeremy's decision to retain the "GC" prefix as long as possible, since that is what the powers external to geocaching have been conditioned to recognize. I tend to agree that it is a good idea to not add unnecessary complications to their lives, since they have been conditioned to ask for the "GC number" and (in some cases) are finally starting to warm up to geocaching. (I know the waypoint designation is a really, really basic thing, but if it makes the lives easier for those who can cause us great pain, then great for them.)

As for your implication that changing the prefix to V, M, et cetera would somehow make things more practical, I'm afraid I must disagree... strongly. Perhaps *for you* it would make things easier, but for me it would make life a pain in the receiver. My icons, descriptions, and PDAs yield *more* than enough information, and having all the waypoints in my receivers in order of GCID makes my life much simpler. Additionally, since I use my GPS receivers for more than just geocaching, it makes it much more convenient to find my other waypoints, since the large collection of GCIDs are all in one place and can be bypassed by logical scrolling.

Put simply, I do not disagree that *for you* a variable prefix may make things one step simpler, but please refrain from making poorly-formed generalities out of your personal opinions.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
There's no need to be rude about it, GB. Having been close to many discussions with rangers and land management authorities, I would quite certainly agree with Jeremy's decision to retain the "GC" prefix as long as possible, since that is what the powers external to geocaching have been conditioned to recognize. I tend to agree that it is a good idea to not add unnecessary complications to their lives, since they have been conditioned to ask for the "GC number" and (in some cases) are finally starting to warm up to geocaching. (I know the waypoint designation is a really, really basic thing, but if it makes the lives easier for those who can cause us great pain, then great for them.)

Eeek. I certainly didn't mean to be rude. I tend to cut to the chase. As such I'm often rather raw. My bad.

Your statement about "conditioned to ask" is BS to me. Factoring down to the lowest common denominator has always been a HUGE pet-peeve of mine. <ahem> Topic for another time.

But I digress. I certainly agree that handling these guys with kiddie gloves is in our best interest.

quote:
As for your implication that changing the prefix to V, M, et cetera would somehow make things more practical, I'm afraid I must disagree... strongly. Perhaps *for you* it would make things easier, but for me it would make life a pain in the receiver. My icons, descriptions, and PDAs yield *more* than enough information, and having all the waypoints in my receivers in order of GCID makes my life much simpler. Additionally, since I use my GPS receivers for more than just geocaching, it makes it much more convenient to find my other waypoints, since the large collection of GCIDs are all in one place and can be bypassed by logical scrolling.

Ah yes. In order. I don't agree at all for several good reasons. But again I digress. I can see your point. From reading around it seems to be a split issue. You feel your way, I feel mine. You get your way, I sort of get mine. No biggie. That's how it goes sometimes. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Put simply, I do not disagree that *for you* a variable prefix may make things one step simpler, but please refrain from making poorly-formed generalities out of your personal opinions.

Ooof. Whoa there cowboy. Poorly-formed or not, as with any opinion my generalities are subjective. You shouldn't get your feathers ruffled over something so trivial. As for the future of said opinions, I'll continue making them. I'll work on the "form", but don't get your hopes up.

quote:

<<SNIP>>

Your statement about "conditioned to ask" is BS to me.

<<SNIP>>

I sort of get mine. <<SNIP>>

It's not BS, it's the way it is. The people that deal with parks departments and various official lackies have seen this.

And you don't sort of get yours.

• You're a paying member.

• You can have .gpx files sent to you.

• You can use the various free apps that are out there to do what you are asking for.

I use 4 apps and 5 minutes to

Join all the .gpx files into one file

Change all waypoints to VC, MC and so on

Change Icons

Create a great way to view caches on my PDA

View a map of all the caches within 70 miles of where I live.

Upload to my GPS and PDA.

5 minutes is not much time out o my life to get everything the way I like things to be. My idea of right isn't everyones idea of right.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Sorry. I think you may have taken me out of context.

Your definition of "BS": Not factual or not realistic

My definition of "BS": Ought not to be that way

Your definition of "sort of": End result was not as I wish

My definition of "sort of": Had to take the longer way around to the desired result

All can of course be right, but I was operating under my defs on this one.

And yes. I actually have nothing better to do than defend myself here. It's WAY to hot out (100+). icon_wink.gif Normally there's no point.

quote:
Originally posted by iresqu1:

OK, guy thanks for the info on the Spinner program. Last time I ask a question w/o investigating all the possibilities first. Didn't mean to start a war of words here.

Later

<heh heh> Not your fault. Don't let me scare you off. Gotta maintain your sense of humor where forums and news groups are concerned. icon_wink.gif