Excessive cache placement

karkess

I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on this. There's a cacher in my area that has gone cache crazy in creating new caches. For instance he placed 10 caches in one day and they are all identical glad type containers. While I know thought, time and effort went into placing these caches, I couldn't help but feel it cheapens the experience. Perhaps a maximum per month cache placement policy so one person can't flood an entire area with caches.

I have four caches myself, and I put a lot of time into making each cache I place a unique experience for the finder. Who really wants to find what amounts to the same cache by the same person over and over?

I'm looking for other perspectives, maybe I'm just being uptight.

Thanks

If there is thought, time and effort put into these caches what is the problem? The same container? Who really cares. Cachers here put out the containers that are accessible to them so these containers are sometimes the same or similar to each other. I don't care. I don't need some highly elaborate cache decoration at the other end. And really if it comes down to uninspired containers ammo cans shoved under fallen down trees or in stumps are totally uninspired and cachers place only that. Does that mean they're cheapening the experience? Nope.

I want to find a container with dry contents at a neato place period. Yup it's cool with the cache owner puts a ton of effort in (found a couple of those too) and I totally appreciate them but I don't need only that.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on this. There's a cacher in my area that has gone cache crazy in creating new caches. For instance he placed 10 caches in one day and they are all identical glad type containers. While I know thought, time and effort went into placing these caches, I couldn't help but feel it cheapens the experience. Perhaps a maximum per month cache placement policy so one person can't flood an entire area with caches.

I have four caches myself, and I put a lot of time into making each cache I place a unique experience for the finder. Who really wants to find what amounts to the same cache by the same person over and over?

Thanks

I've got the whipping stick. Who's got a dead horse?

Thanks

It's too bad about the gladware containers. They are not watertight and last a few weeks before they warp and crack. Planting 10 lock n lock containers would cost $30-$50 dollars. Gladware costs about $2 a piece ($20), although if you have to replace them every couple of months the lock n lock are much cheaper in the long wrong.

I feel your angst but not much that can be done. I suggest putting this COs caches on your ignore list.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on this. There's a cacher in my area that has gone cache crazy in creating new caches. For instance he placed 10 caches in one day and they are all identical glad type containers.

Well they *do* come 10 to a package but he should have saved a few for when UV has them broken down in a month.

gladware is not a good container.

While the repetitiveness of the cache type may be your concern ---

I think that 10-a-day placements are a detriment because they exist simply to exist. Not that he/she didn't make for decent hides or placements (we don't know 'cuz you didn't elaborate), but my thoughts are that they were placed just because there was no cache there.

Not a particularly good reason to plant caches.

My daughter and I set out 6 in one day...but I had been planing them for weeks while driving around for work and making different containers for all of them at home. I just waited for her to place them. None of them got published at that time though. Reviewer had a reason for each one. I don't see what putting a limit on how many a day or month would do. If they are poor containers they probably wont last long anyways.

-WarNinjas

Thanks

The solution is simple. Plant more of your own. Quit bellyachin' about so and so planting too many. In your particular area I don't see the problem. I see at least 20 different people who have placed geocaches. I'm not seeing the "saturation" by one cacher that you're talking about. Just be greatful that the area hasn't been taken over by micro madness.

It's too bad about the gladware containers. They are not watertight and last a few weeks before they warp and crack. Planting 10 lock n lock containers would cost $30-$50 dollars. Gladware costs about $2 a piece ($20), although if you have to replace them every couple of months the lock n lock are much cheaper in the long wrong.

I feel your angst but not much that can be done. I suggest putting this COs caches on your ignore list.

That pretty much says it all for me as well. The cache owner, if he/she sticks with it, will soon learn that the only container worse than a gladware container is a cardboard takeout container from a Chinese restaurant.

The solution is simple. Plant more of your own.

I'm not sure if that's really the way to go. A responsible CO should not plant more then they can easily handle. Planting to block potentially bad placements doesn't strike me as good for the game. Well, maybe potentially better then the gladware container hide but expensive and a heavy workload for the hider that plants good caches.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing - it all comes down to whether the caches themselves are good hides or not - if the ten caches places that day were all good (interesting) locations, well hidden and separately all worthwhile caches to find, then I don't see a problem. It could quite easily be that the owner spent quite a while planning these out in advance, and through time issues, or needing to put all the pieces like containers and logs together ended up getting them all sorted out and hidden at the same time.

If the caches are dull and uninteresting hides, with no local information or interest to the placing and just a mission for the numbers then meh...

The solution is simple. Plant more of your own.

I'm not sure if that's really the way to go. A responsible CO should not plant more then they can easily handle. Planting to block potentially bad placements doesn't strike me as good for the game. Well, maybe potentially better then the gladware container hide but expensive and a heavy workload for the hider that plants good caches.

I was actually basing my response on the general overview of the OP. The OP has their panties in a bunch because a geocacher had placed 10 caches in one day, AND they were all bugged out about the fact that the hides were all gladware containers.

OK lets think a little on this. How much effort does it take for someone to hide a 35mm film can? Let's see...you need to put a little piece of paper inside...and maybe (if you're feeling frisky..you'll cover it with camo tape. You can throw the little buggers in a tree, hide them in a crevice, place them on a stop sign...anywhere really. Then you'll have to name it. How about "Micro 1, Micro 2, Micro 3...?"

With a container of any type, you have to include a log book, hopefully a pen, maybe throw a little camo on it, include a little bit of SWAG, and you have to find an appropriate place to hide it based on it's size. When people name a regular size cache, I've noticed that most of the time it's a little more creative based on where it's hidden or local history.

WHICH one takes more "thought, time, and effort?" Which one really "cheapens the experience?"

Now if the OP is really twisted about what someone else is doing, all I'm suggesting is that they put their money where their mouth is. If there's an available area, by all means get the ammo can and stuff it with SWAG and a log book and beat the "gladware goon" at their own game...but don't presume that there has been no "thought" put into their hides because they are using the same containers. If they're not willing or able to place their own..stop bellyaching about someone placing "too many".

Wow! It seems some people around here can be a bit harsh, so much for my feel-good impression of the geocaching community. I've recieved less flak on political forums. Keep in mind I asked for opinions not a beating.

My view is this...I like it when I see a new cache in the area and want to try and be FTF, but I think geocaching itself could be better served by limiting the amount of caches a person can place at a single time (multi-caches excluded).

Example, if you found a bottle, rubbed it and a genie appeared and offered to grant your every wish forever, you would go crazy and not care what you wished for because you have an infinate amount of wishes. However, with the usual three wish scenerio more thought and care would go into making those wishes because of the limit. Same with caches.

We all have run accross caches that are poorly maintained, if at all. Perhaps the person just got bored or maybe they have too many caches to maintain. Either way, the game itself would be benefit from a limit, either on a time between caches placed limit, or an overall cache to cacher limit.

Edited by karkess

Wow! It seems some people around here can be a bit harsh, so much for my feel-good impression of the geocaching community. I've recieved less flak on political forums. Keep in mind I asked for opinions not a beating.

My view is this...I like it when I see a new cache in the area and want to try and be FTF, but I think geocaching itself could be better served by limiting the amount of caches a person can place at a single time (multi-caches excluded).

Example, if you found a bottle, rubbed it and a genie appeared and offered to grant your every wish forever, you would go crazy and not care what you wished for because you have an infinate amount of wishes. However, with the usual three wish scenerio more thought and care would go into making those wishes because of the limit. Same with caches.

We all have run accross caches that are poorly maintained, if at all. Perhaps the person just got bored or maybe they have too many caches to maintain. Either way, the game itself would be benefit from a limit, either on a time between caches placed limit, or an overall cache to cacher limit.

Tough crowd here. You ask for opinions and you get them. As for a limit on the number of caches placed, how would you ever get a power trail up and running if you had silly limits to contend with? Some folks with a lot of caches do a good job maintaining them, some don't. As for the containers, you will always find the gladware, altoids tin, margarine tubs and other assorted cruddy containers. Surprisingly a peanut butter or nut jar are fairly good containers.

You've got a point there. I would not have a problem with a 1 or 2 cache per day limit. But it would mean no more power trails, unless you can get 1000 people together to create a power trail or create 1000 accounts and plant one per account. No one wants to find a 1000 stage multi if it means only one smiley. A limit would tick off a lot of people who play the game for the numbers.

It was interesting that they limited the number of challenges a person can create (1 per 24 hour period), so we know that Groundspeak can and will limit caches publication.

You'll learn soon enough that you need a think skin sometimes to be on these forums. ;)

In any case, Don't kid yourself. Just because you can only place three "wishes" doesn't mean that the person will use them wisely. Read those stories again or watch the Twilight Zone.

Edited by wildchld97

You'll learn soon enough that you need a think skin sometimes to be on these forums. ;)

In any case, Don't kid yourself. Just because you can only place three "wishes" doesn't mean that the person will use them wisely. Read those stories again or watch the Twilight Zone.

My skin is plenty thick, I just wasn't expecting it. You do have a point about using them wisely, I wish I had a peanutbutter sandwich. Oh! And I wish there was jelly on it, and I wish I had a glass of milk to wash it down.

If you wish to limit how many caches a person can hide in a given time period, then you should also limit how many caches a person can find in that same time period!

If GC decides to limit me in hides or finds, then I will pull all my caches and get a new hobby.

In the mean time learn how to use the ignore button, so you don't need to see those caches, that someone took the time to hide for others to enjoy.

John

If you wish to limit how many caches a person can hide in a given time period, then you should also limit how many caches a person can find in that same time period!

If GC decides to limit me in hides or finds, then I will pull all my caches and get a new hobby.

In the mean time learn how to use the ignore button, so you don't need to see those caches, that someone took the time to hide for others to enjoy.

John

Power Trail people are discussed on another thread, but the concept is the same. If you're allowed to log 879 caches in one day for a power trail (consisting of caches that many would think are anything but interesting) then it seems to reason that a person would be permitted to hide 879 gladware containers in one day if they could. ;)

As one who spends way too much time here, I hate it when I see comments like that. If you don't like the way people act here, then make yourself a regular here and help to improve the attitude.

I saw a comment about a dead horse, and that is typical on forums where the poster doesn't take the time to see what the frequently asked questions or frequently made complaints are. I'm sure you know that from those political forums you mentioned. I see one other person that 2nd'd that motion, and I see a bunch of comments agreeing that those are bad containers, that you shouldn't worry about it, etc.

Doesn't sound so harsh to me. But if you still feel that way, please help to improve it.

That is another cliche here that makes me angry. You only need a thick skin here when people choose to post callous remarks. Generally, if you take a few seconds before replying, you can smooth out a lot of the harshness. Sometimes I fail to take my own advice, so please feel free to remind me. Edited by knowschad

My skin is plenty thick, I just wasn't expecting it. You do have a point about using them wisely, I wish I had a peanutbutter sandwich. Oh! And I wish there was jelly on it, and I wish I had a glass of milk to wash it down.

We prefer donuts here. Care for one? :omnomnom:

We prefer donuts here. Care for one? :omnomnom:

Oh some nice yummy bacon.

It's been suggested before that a limit on caches might improve overall quality. However there is no real evidence to support this. Many crappy caches are placed by people who just placed one cache. In fact there is evidence that placing caches is a learning experience and cache owners get better at it over time.

Now of course you talking about a limit on how many caches you can place all at once. Often (but not always) series tend to be a bunch of similar caches. Some people like variety and tend to judge series harshly because the caches are the same. Series are also more likely to consist of smaller cheaper containers, so if you like ammo cans you might judge series caches as poorer quality.

A lot of cachers don't get as hung up on the size of the containers or whether the hides are unique. They just want another cache to find. Limits on the number caches that can be placed, isn't good for the style of geocaching they prefer. Your probably seeing the push back to your idea because many people would like to find the caches that are being put out - even those with cheap containers that won't last long. There is no one view as to what makes a quality cache, so while you may not enjoy these hides don't forget that others will.

This is a reason that limiting caches a priori is not needed. In general people who hide a lot of caches either burn out and stop hiding caches or they learn what hides are appreciated and what hides they would like to find and the quality gets better. If you see a bunch of cheep containers being hidden you can rest assured theses cache will not last as long as a quality container. Not only that but this hider is likely not going to maintain this cache. Wait a few weeks or months and then start posting Need Maintenance on the caches. If the person doesn't do maintenance then post a Needs Archive. Before long these cache will disappear.

Oh, the proper food for this discussion is ice cream :mmraspberry:. What flavor do you like?

Edited by tozainamboku

Tough crowd here. You ask for opinions and you get them. As for a limit on the number of caches placed, how would you ever get a power trail up and running if you had silly limits to contend with?

Well, he *did* say that "the game itself would be benefit from a limit"...

As one who spends way too much time here, I hate it when I see comments like that. If you don't like the way people act here, then make yourself a regular here and help to improve the attitude.

I saw a comment about a dead horse, and that is typical on forums where the poster doesn't take the time to see what the frequently asked questions or frequently made complaints are. I'm sure you know that from those political forums you mentioned. I see one other person that 2nd'd that motion, and I see a bunch of comments agreeing that those are bad containers, that you shouldn't worry about it, etc.

Doesn't sound so harsh to me. But if you still feel that way, please help to improve it.

I frequent 3 other forums not including this one, and I have to agree with the OP.