Event location at a school?

rebasport

Be sure to check the guidelines for event caches. In particular, note the following: "While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers."

Be sure to check the guidelines for event caches. In particular, note the following: "While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers."

Thanks, this would be a geocaching event to award prizes to cachers that complete the 2 week hunt that ends the same time as the craft fair and they want to give the awards at the same time. So, we did this last year at a business and it only lasted about 15 minutes. It was to hand out the awards but it takes place at a school and I just am trying to see if that is OK. So far, I can't see that it isn't but I am not the final answer.

Edited by rebasport

Caches can be placed on school grounds if they have appropriate permission. I assume events also can take place on school grounds if they have appropriate permission.

Sorry to hi-jack but I have a question about the caches on school property. I have been trying to publish one on the oposite side of a public walking path from a school and have been continually turned down. Reviwer states that is is less than 100m from school and most school administrators, parents and other adults become concerned for the safety of the students when they see someone who looks out of place on or near school property. Funny thing is that with it being less that a foot off the public walking path I was confused by the rejection. So by my understanding if I get writen permission from the school to have it there I should be OK with the reviewer?

Caches can be placed on school grounds if they have appropriate permission. I assume events also can take place on school grounds if they have appropriate permission.

Sorry to hi-jack but I have a question about the caches on school property. I have been trying to publish one on the oposite side of a public walking path from a school and have been continually turned down. Reviwer states that is is less than 100m from school and most school administrators, parents and other adults become concerned for the safety of the students when they see someone who looks out of place on or near school property. Funny thing is that with it being less that a foot off the public walking path I was confused by the rejection. So by my understanding if I get writen permission from the school to have it there I should be OK with the reviewer?

Here is waht is says in the Knowledge book:

Geocaches are not placed on school property or military bases. Many primary, middle and secondary schools, as well as most military bases do not allow geocaching within their borders. Further, it is inadvisable to place geocaches near schools or military bases as the borders shown on a map may be inaccurate. Geocachers who are actively searching for a cache are likely to arouse suspicion in such environments, and we want to avoid this situation.

Have you talked with your reviewer to see if your location would be OK?

Funny thing is that with it being less that a foot off the public walking path I was confused by the rejection. So by my understanding if I get writen permission from the school to have it there I should be OK with the reviewer?

People walking on a sidewalk near a school don't tend to arouse suspicions. People lurking about bushes sometimes do.

It's my understanding that some people (often teachers) who have received explicit, written permission to hide caches on school grounds have had those caches published. But it's best to check with your local reviewer.