Would a Roses tin make a suitable geocache?

CACAHUETES

All tins are no good. They leak easily and rust up making them hard to open. Its not worth the hassle of dealing with a rusted can or a wet log from a cache thats in a tin. Only place a tin will work is in a desert.

Whatever you decide to use as a container make sure it will stand up to the weather condition in your area.

Hi everyone

I'm not sure whether roses are available in america so bare with

So anyway, would this be a suitable cache?

And if so, what size would I put it under?

Has anyone made anything like this themselves?

Thanks

CACAHUETES :ph34r:

**Oops. I see there are duplicate threads. Moderators can delete my answer or merge threads as they see fit. **

I grew up in Australia and remember Roses chocolates in a tin. Is that what you're asking about? If so, I'd say, no. It wont work. It's most likely not waterproof and I'm guessing it's also going to rust over time. A bit like what happens with Altoids tins on a smaller scale.

If you want to check if it's waterproof, submerge it in a bucket of water and see if it comes out dry.

As for size, I'm pretty sure that would be called a regular sized cache if I'm remembering the size of those tins correctly.

Edited by sdarken
suitable cache?

I had to google that, I don't think I've seen that. How big is the container?

Unless it has a gasket to keep out moisture, such a tin should be protected from rain. Magnetically held under a large object, for example. If you can find a stainless-steel version, it could last longer than cheaper metal which rusts easily.

If it was freshly full of chocolates, clean it real well, so it doesn't get opened by critters.

Edited by kunarion

Yep. Agreed.

I've found just a few of these. Around here they get wet and yucky inside and rusty. I found one I couldn't even get open. They don't last long at all in these parts.

Do a forum search for "best containers for geocaching" or something shorter.

Typically ammo boxes are best, with "Lock and lock" plastic storage containers coming in second.

Matchstick containers that are meant for camping or backpacking that have a waterproof seal are really good too.

You can buy good containers at Groundspeaks online store.

It's better to create one cache with one good container that you had to pay 4-7 bucks for, than to put out a lot of caches with cheap crappy containers that will get rusty and moldy.

I have a "gimmicky" metal tin cache that's resting underneath a huge fallen log. It doesn't get any direct rain. Hardly ever snows here. Lots of moisture in the air though. The lid starts sticking at about the one year mark, and I replace it at about the 1.5 year mark so that it doesn't get gross.

If your cache is sheltered from the elements and you're willing to replace the container regularly, it can work. It's kind of a pain, though.

Hi everyone

I'm not sure whether roses are available in america so bare with

So anyway, would this be a suitable cache?

And if so, what size would I put it under?

Has anyone made anything like this themselves?

Thanks

CACAHUETES :ph34r:

Check out the tin in GCTQ7C. It appears to be exactly of the type you're inquiring about. I added two TB's to it just the other day and it was nice and dry inside. It was placed in March of 2006. Location, location, location.

I have a "gimmicky" metal tin cache that's resting underneath a huge fallen log. It doesn't get any direct rain. Hardly ever snows here. Lots of moisture in the air though. The lid starts sticking at about the one year mark, and I replace it at about the 1.5 year mark so that it doesn't get gross.

If your cache is sheltered from the elements and you're willing to replace the container regularly, it can work. It's kind of a pain, though.

I agree with this, and I have a small tin cache.

However, the problem I have with Roses tins is that the lids are so tight fitting, it is hard to get them opened even in ideal conditions, and much harder to get the lid back on. Imagine someone doing this in sleet!

If you want to use a large tin, I'd recommend one with a hinged lid and replace it every year or two.

I've found that anything that can rust/leak, will rust/leak in the damp UK climate. Plastic screwtop containers are well-suited as UK caches. Watertight and rustproof. Those 1kg fruit pots are good, and the 'fridge' baked bean tubs, and for smaller caches, things like face cream pots, vitamin tablet pots etc are fine.

If you've money to spend, try screwtop tupperware beakers and cliplock tupperware boxes. Biggest and best of all - ammoboxes.

Not where you live. Nor where I live. Perhaps in the Nevada or Arizona desert. We do have a number of caches hidden in cookie (bisquit) tins here, and they all leak and corrode very quickly.

Isn't it amazing how poorly they keep water out, but how well they keep water in?

Not where you live. Nor where I live. Perhaps in the Nevada or Arizona desert. We do have a number of caches hidden in cookie (bisquit) tins here, and they all leak and corrode very quickly.

Isn't it amazing how poorly they keep water out, but how well they keep water in?

My experience with Altoids tins indicate that they do a fair job of retaining water. At least until a hole corrodes in the bottom.