Suggestion - Handicap Flag

Bos

Maybe a flag or search criteria or both, indicating handicap friendly caches - for the many folks that want to participate but don't move as fast as they used to.

In case JI's DO list isn't already long enough.

PS - love the Notifications flag. Fast, intuitive, efficient.

Wheelchair Question...

Does a '1' mean that a person in a wheelchair would be able to do the cache by themselfs, or does it mean that they will be able travel everywhere during the cache hunt; however they may need the assistance of a more mobile person to retrieve the cache, etc?

Happy hunting,

Tom

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Wheelchair Question...

Does a '1' mean that a person in a wheelchair would be able to do the cache by themselfs, or does it mean that they will be able travel everywhere during the cache hunt; however they may need the assistance of a more mobile person to retrieve the cache, etc?

Hmmm... I dunno. Of course, handicapped doesn't just refer to wheelchairs. And in some cases even an individual in a wheelchair might be more able to do a given cache than an individual who is not considered handicapped. A dwarf or midget, for example, might not be able to reach a cache that someone in a wheelchair could.

It's debateable I suppose as to if a dwarf or midget is considered handicapped, but I don't consider them handicapped.

I guess that speaks to a point that 'handicapped' is to subjective, just as often is the rating system.

There are all kinds of handicaps. I know of people who are generally wheelchair bound. Anything from CP, to severe back problems. They can get out of the chair for a moment, or two to grab a cache if necessary. Then there are other people, quadrapalegics, who couldn't get a cache no matter where you placed it.

The best you can do is give the cache a realistic terrain rating. Can a wheelchair get there? Then it's a 1. A handicap flag won't cover all handicaps and could just add to the confusion.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I'm handicapped. I can walk for short distances but cannot climb steep hills etc. I look for something in the description of the site to clue me in. Why should I have to look for another sport. I LOVE this one. I realize that there are certain limitations, but my caching partners can go after the terrain 3s, 4s and 5s.

Truly disagree with WOSSA....Bet they wouldn't think that if they were in my shoes.