Geocaching.com site update September 1st 2011

OpinioNate

Read the last update's Release Notes

jgkVe.pngGeocaching Challenges

For this release we have tightened up the Challenges functionality and addressed a number of bugs from the last release. Please see the changes below:

• Added ability to remove a Challenge (leave or un-complete) from the private profile list of Challenges

• Added an explanation of Challenges and a link back to Challenges home in private profile

• Thumbnail maps on Challenge details pages are now clickable to open a larger Google map

• Added explanatory text to Worldwide Challenges to reduce confusion

• Added readable URLs for Challenges, e.g. geocaching.com/challenge/CX1_Snoqualmie_Tunnel_Of_Light

• Reply fields on Challenge details are now hidden until clicking "reply" to reduce scrolling

• Fixed bug preventing a user from accepting a Challenge when visited by searching the exact CX code

• Fixed bug preventing Challenges photo upload if the file extension contains uppercase JPG

• Added a spinner and gallery loading message while the Challenges photo gallery is first loading

• Challenges gallery no longer waits for all images to load before displaying

• Fixed exception error when attempting to submit a Challenge description with 2000 characters

• Fixed bug in IE8 which caused the Challenges flagging link to disappear after flagging

• Updated thumbnail map on Challenges details to use a Challenges icon rather than the Google red pin

• Added check to prevent accepting or completing of unpublished Challenges

• Added a spinner to Challenges photo upload and disabled comment box to indicate the upload is still being processed

• Fixed display error in Safari when viewing Challenge comments

• Fixed bug preventing Challenges radius search using a WM code

• Added text for supported image type uploads on Challenges comments

• Fixed bug which stripped line breaks from Challenges comments

• Fixed alignment of Challenges coordinates on details page when no address is associated with the location

• Fixed styling issue on "choose location" section of Challenges creation which caused the returned locations to expand beyond the fancybox popup

• When hovering over Challenge stats on the private profile page the stats now correctly take into account archived Challenges

• A search made without entering a location/GC/WM/CX code will now properly return nearby results based on IP location

• Added a red strikethrough for archived Challenges when viewing private profile list

• Fixed Challenges search results distance display in KM to round to the nearest 1/10th kilometer

• Fixed issue where excessively wide "landscape" images would dominate the Challenges gallery. Images are now constrained by width and height

• Fixed issue causing low resolution monitors to prevent Challenge completion after upload because the "submit" button disappeared

• Now sorting Worldwide Challenges by newest by default

• Removed the ability to delete a Challenge creation log

• Fixed bug in IE9 compatibility mode which prevented accessing the browser location when searching for Challenges

Geocaching

• GC: Now updating session when user changes distance units preference so the change is effected immediately

• GC: Avatars in geocache logs are now clickable to view the user's profile

• GC: Fixed bad URL on Int'l Geocaching Day souvenir detail page

• GC: Logging in via OAuth (through Live-enabled applications) no longer invalidates your cookie on the website

• GC: Fixed coord.info URL in Trackable notifications

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!

Thanks for all the challenge fixes. I hope you'll consider letting us view them on maps next, as many location searches result in zero challenges.

The error where pressing "back" on a challenge search result page will take you TWO steps back instead of back to the main page for challenges, is back. Firefox 6.0.

Edited by mamoreb

Following the latest update the found cache count algorithm doesn't update after logging found caches. Doesn't show at the top of the log page nor my profile page

10 mins later

Sorry after a reload of the profile page for another few times all is now well

Edited by yaldea

I don't get the "Find my location" link on challenge search.

GC.com knows my location, so why can't it be used without any unneccessary steps?

I agree, why can I not just click on my location? Clicking on the "find my location" link does nothing for me.

When will challenges be made available to those of us who use GPSr's rather than smart phones, via a PQ type system?

GC.com knows my location, so why can't it be used without any unneccessary steps?

I agree, why can I not just click on my location? Clicking on the "find my location" link does nothing for me.

When will challenges be made available to those of us who use GPSr's rather than smart phones, via a PQ type system?

i don't really understand what the problem is...when you click on "Find My Location" you get a list of Challenges near you ...what exactly is the extra step?

i don't really understand what the problem is...when you click on "Find My Location" you get a list of Challenges near you ...what exactly is the extra step?

For me it launches a Firefox page explaining

"Location-Aware Browsing":

Firefox can tell websites where you’re located so you can find info that’s more relevant and more useful. It’s about making the Web smarter – and is done in a way that totally respects your privacy. Give it a try!

That's quite a bit extra! GC.com can find closest geocaches to me without any extra steps, so why not challenges?

For me it launches a Firefox page explaining

"Location-Aware Browsing":

Firefox can tell websites where you’re located so you can find info that’s more relevant and more useful. It’s about making the Web smarter – and is done in a way that totally respects your privacy. Give it a try!

That's quite a bit extra! GC.com can find closest geocaches to me without any extra steps, so why not challenges?

you need to click the "share your location with GC.com" and you will never get that nag screen again

you need to click the "share your location with GC.com" and you will never get that nag screen again

Using IE8 no issues with GC.com its purely on the challenges I click on the "find My Location" link nothing happens. It finds the near ones if I enter my post code etc, but nothing through the link.

Well the problem is the very recent web feature implemented primarily for mobile devices, to get the location by GPS. Only the latest browsers support that script feature, by attempting to get the location through IP tracing. Older browser may have a problem with it.

I think it's great to have for mobile devices, but for desktops, I think it should use either a third-party script that looks up an IP (rather than using the browser's implementation itself), or provide a "Use my Home coordinates" option or some such. Seems a little more in line with the rest of the site to allow use of the home coordinates :)

Because it's using my ip address to try to figure out where I am. In my case, it returns about five miles east of where I really am. GC.com has a set of precise coordinates that I described as my "home". Even the Waymarking site knows those coordinates. Why doesn't the Challenge page?

We are really starting to dread when a new update happens. :sad:

We really want to be supportive of the Groundspeak folks, and don't make any judgement about people who enjoy doing the new challenges. Personally, we don't care for them and don't really see what they have to do with geocaching, so we will leave them alone.

What I feel really depressed about is that the newest upgrade focused almost entirely on the challenge issues. There are so many other issues that preceded these that I get discouraged they aren't being addressed in the updates.

The main fix we would like to see is to be able to DISPLAY CACHES ON THE BETA MAPS ON OUR MOTOROLA XOOM. The beta maps issue has gone on forever and I just don't get why newer issues (like those with the challenges) get fixed first.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the maps. We didn't like the beta maps when they first came out (still don't like them as well as the original maps), but we have learned to adjust since that's what it is. However, we still have to go to the original maps on our Xoom, which we use most of the time now when we are out on the road.

Please address the older issues first and fix the maps.

I am getting really upset! What is that?! Instead of focusing on caching related issues they introduce new features that nobody really wants and then they spend time fixing them and breaking some stuff on the way!

After running a query today all all my caches show the distance to the center of the PQ. So cache that were around home are now 100 miles away!

Clicking on 'Driving Directions' gives me the map with the correct home coords, showing only a few miles to drive to the cache even though the cache pages states 104.7 miles.

PLEASE FIX IT!!! AND DON'T BREAK ANYTHING WHILE DOING THAT!!!

Edited by Keystone
Potty language removed by moderator.

After running a query today all all my caches show the distance to the center of the PQ. So cache that were around home are now 100 miles away!

Clicking on 'Driving Directions' gives me the map with the correct home coords, showing only a few miles to drive to the cache even though the cache pages states 104.7 miles.

it is extremely hard to follow what you're talking about

i don't see anything even remotely similar to what you describing

How did Challenges and their problems get ahead of the faulty beta maps?

One would expect older, more geocaching oriented bugs and features to have priority over tangential issues such as the new Challenges.

As has been explained before the defects are prioritized and the more important ones are fixed first regardless of age. Since only 200 people use the beta maps and even fewer care about PQ maps but everyone is wildly excited about challenges it only makes sense that defects with challenges get fixed first.

I've noticed, when viewing the profiles of users that have complete a challenge, it says that they have complete a challenge, right under where the benchmarks found are listed, but the challenged completed is not a link, and there is no list of them like I would expect there to be.

I agree. Groundspeak should work on this, right after they are done fixing the beta maps.

:rolleyes:

Erm... fix the maps, please :( I've been waiting for ages for news about displaying only caches from your PQ on the map, like the old map would. Similarly with the current top rated feedback topic on a function to display mystery caches at the correct co-ords when solved.

Edited by ptniff

One would expect older, more geocaching oriented bugs and features to have priority over tangential issues such as the new Challenges.

As has been explained before the defects are prioritized and the more important ones are fixed first regardless of age. Since only 200 people use the beta maps and even fewer care about PQ maps but everyone is wildly excited about challenges it only makes sense that defects with challenges get fixed first.

Only 200 people use these maps because they don't work. People would use them if they worked.

In reading through the forums, a lot of excitement over Challenges is due to the fact that they were released before the maps were fixed.

Nice use of "200".

Only 200 people use these maps because they don't work. People would use them if they worked.

In reading through the forums, a lot of excitement over Challenges is due to the fact that they were released before the maps were fixed.

A bit of an inside joke here and a full load of sarcasm. The inside joke is when the Google earth viewer was removed the comment by GS was that only about 200 people used it. The screams were a bit loud. The viewer was resurrected. Yes we were forced to use the beta maps when there was the big server overload and upgrade. A couple quick patches were laid on to make them somewhat more useable. One would think that after the upgrade we would get the old maps back. We got two broken map systems instead. Then we lost the PQ maps with the old maps. The cries for map fixes the last several months has been met with "We tried a different way but it did not work" or "there other things the team had to focus on". One thing I have noticed about GS is they apparently do not have a version control system in place. If they make a change that breaks things they can not roll the change back and all they can do is hack the code until it is somewhat useable and we are left with a broken regressed feature that is never fixed. In my area the growth of challenges has been meager at best. An initial surge and then very little after that. Far as I am concerned the next several updates can be nothing but bug and map fixes. I don't really need new, buggy, "features" that I really won't be using. I use maps alot. It would be nice if I could use the maps on the site instead of loading a PQ into GSAK and use the maps there. I use bookmarks alot, it sure would be nice to copy a bookmark.

• GC: Fixed coord.info URL in Trackable notifications

Not sure this is solved... I got this today:

Papaguys placed Pink ribbon angel (Breast Cancer Angel Geocoin) in Tierpark Malsch at 9/4/2011

Log Date: 9/4/2011

Abgelegt in Tierpark Malsch

That's a nice place with many animals nearby. Have a good journey.

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://coord.info/TL2215N5

Visit Pink ribbon angel

http://coord.info/TB418JY

Profile for Papaguys:

http://coord.info/PR423AQ

Tierpark Malsch

http://coord.info/GL31FFP

Edited by mamoreb
Far as I am concerned the next several updates can be nothing but bug and map fixes.

What confuses me is that sometimes they do fix bugs, and sometimes the new updates are really useful and well thought-out. Other times I wonder who could have thought the changes were a good idea. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I'd hate to work there; that development team is like a ship without a rudder. There's obviously some real talent, but it is managed poorly. Their behavior over the past few months is positively arrogant and tone-deaf. I'd be shocked if they were managed by someone who played and loved geocaching.

Edited by JJnTJ

I'd hate to work there; that development team is like a ship without a rudder. There's obviously some real talent, but it is managed poorly. Their behavior over the past few months is positively arrogant and tone-deaf. I'd be shocked if they were managed by someone who played and loved geocaching.

but, but....Click

From that article: "Employees benefit from free ski passes, catered lunches and all-expense-paid travel opportunities.". Maybe they need to focus less on giving their employees lots of perks and spend some of that money on improving the basic operation of the website so it doesn't slow to a crawl EVERY #@$%! weekend?!

A bit of an inside joke here and a full load of sarcasm. The inside joke is when the Google earth viewer was removed the comment by GS was that only about 200 people used it. The screams were a bit loud. The viewer was resurrected. Yes we were forced to use the beta maps when there was the big server overload and upgrade. A couple quick patches were laid on to make them somewhat more useable. One would think that after the upgrade we would get the old maps back. We got two broken map systems instead. Then we lost the PQ maps with the old maps. The cries for map fixes the last several months has been met with "We tried a different way but it did not work" or "there other things the team had to focus on". One thing I have noticed about GS is they apparently do not have a version control system in place. If they make a change that breaks things they can not roll the change back and all they can do is hack the code until it is somewhat useable and we are left with a broken regressed feature that is never fixed. In my area the growth of challenges has been meager at best. An initial surge and then very little after that. Far as I am concerned the next several updates can be nothing but bug and map fixes. I don't really need new, buggy, "features" that I really won't be using. I use maps alot. It would be nice if I could use the maps on the site instead of loading a PQ into GSAK and use the maps there. I use bookmarks alot, it sure would be nice to copy a bookmark.

Lol! I didn't know that bit of history. It certainly seems the attitude hasn't changed one bit.

Back on subject:)

Has there been any official explanation of the crawling site issues.

It worked allright (for me) last weekend. The challenges and avatars are still there, so they can't be blamed (or the problems with them have fixed)

It was certainly more accessible this past weekend. As it was a holiday weekend here in the states that was a great thing. I'll give 'em a thumbs up vote for that one.