Premium only caches

Magic Phil

Hello all,

I recently attempted to download the cache details of what looks like a great cach only to find it was premium members only.

When I emailed the owner I got the reply "...because I needed permission to place it" and "...it stops thieves".

Ok...the stealing part I can maybe understand if the container was special or contained something shinier than normal, but the permission part????? Why should that make a difference? The cache concerned is on a public footpath, for heavens sake!

Premium members have absolutely no problems seeking out basic member caches and logging them but REALLY don't like us non-premium members having access to thiers. Not everyone can afford the money to pay for membership and the arguement "...it only costs £0.whatever a day" is frankly insulting. If a two-tier eliteist system is going to exist then why does the site promote a community atmosphere when so many are excluded from some of the caches?

Please understand that not ALL premium members are so snobby, most are enlightened enough to know we are all playing the same game!

I don't need premium membership as pocket queries etc are pretty much useless to me and I can d/l and find caches quite easily thank you and the other benefits, again, are not for me.

All I want is an equal playing field for EVERYONE. Lets rid ourselves of premium only caches and if you want to pay for the other stuff...then do so!!

I know the flamers will have a field day with this (all premium members probably!!) but I AM entitled to voice my opinion...even if it doesn't coincide with yours!!

Magic Phil.

Hello all,

I recently attempted to download the cache details of what looks like a great cach only to find it was premium members only.

When I emailed the owner I got the reply "...because I needed permission to place it" and "...it stops thieves".

Ok...the stealing part I can maybe understand if the container was special or contained something shinier than normal, but the permission part????? Why should that make a difference? The cache concerned is on a public footpath, for heavens sake!

Premium members have absolutely no problems seeking out basic member caches and logging them but REALLY don't like us non-premium members having access to thiers. Not everyone can afford the money to pay for membership and the arguement "...it only costs £0.whatever a day" is frankly insulting. If a two-tier eliteist system is going to exist then why does the site promote a community atmosphere when so many are excluded from some of the caches?

Please understand that not ALL premium members are so snobby, most are enlightened enough to know we are all playing the same game!

I don't need premium membership as pocket queries etc are pretty much useless to me and I can d/l and find caches quite easily thank you and the other benefits, again, are not for me.

All I want is an equal playing field for EVERYONE. Lets rid ourselves of premium only caches and if you want to pay for the other stuff...then do so!!

I know the flamers will have a field day with this (all premium members probably!!) but I AM entitled to voice my opinion...even if it doesn't coincide with yours!!

Magic Phil.

First, it's fairly counterproductive to give your opinion and attack those hearing your opinion at the same time.

As for permissions, are you arguing that permission shouldn't be needed, or that premium member status shouldn't affect it? I don't know the specific details, but I could see a case where telling a land manager that it would be a premium only cache might make getting permission smoother, but just a guess.

As far as I know, premium members don't have a problem with non-premium members. The most common reasons I've seen for making them premium only is first, to avoid being muggled, and second, to support the site that makes the hobby possible. Both of those seem like valid reasons to me. I've got two caches so far (still a noob), neither is premium. I'd only consider making a premium one if I had a location that was repeatedly muggled. That said, I have no issues with the concept of premium-only caches.

I agree let's get rid of this silly two tier system!!! No more basic members make everyone pay the $30!!! (This statement is just parody)

Any basic member is allowed to find and log my premium caches. If any BM contacted me I would gladly give them access to the information. I am not some elite snob out to ruin the fun for everyone else. And most PM rank PMO caches near the bottom of the benefits of being a PM. (I'm too lazy to use the search to find that thread at the moment).

And FYI your post will get flamed because this topic has been done to death over the years, and you started off attacking anyone who has ever hid a PMO cache as an elitist snob.

The playing field is lvl. No one person has an advantage over another when it comes down to finding a cache. As a basic member you don't have every cache available to you but the PM only caches are only a small percentage. There are also caches out there that require a high end GPSr that is compatible with Garmin's Chirp. Should we force the CO who hide them to make the cache available to everyone? What about the especially hard Puzzle caches? Should we dumb them down to give everyone a chance to seek them out? How about the caches that require special equipment? Are those insulting to you as well since you don't have the money to buy/rent the equipment or the experience to use it? Lets not forget the Wherigo hides. So how far should we go to lvl the playing field?

Your not going to be able to find every cache. There will always be something that will prevent you from finding one cache or another. In many cases there are ways you can open those caches up to find but will cost you some extra money.

IMO PM caches are a good incentive to get others to join and support this sport we all enjoy. I also see the point behind making a cache PM only. It helps lock it out from some muggle getting an account and steeling a cache or its contents. If i wanted ot place a cache that uses on of my Ammo Cans i'd make it PM only as well. Some COs that have TB hotels keep them PM Only to help protect the trackables that run through the cache on a regular basis. So the benefit of PM only caches is a good one and i'm glad to have the option.

I know what its like to not have the money to go PM. But i enjoyed the sport enough i figured it was worth it. I spent a few months setting aside a bit of money till i have the $30 available for the 1 year. I didn't know how nice the Pocket Queries where till i got them. Makes life allot easier when loading your unit with caches. But i won't try to talk you into a PM membership.

Hello all,

Magic Phil.

Every time some one comes in and attacks like this, it just makes me wish they were all premium hides. I love that you attack all the premium members. The reason this site where you have chosen to post is supported by premium members. All you want is an equal playing field. All I want is everyone to pay equal. There now we both want something we are not going to get. Quit attacking the premium members. Next time you go find a cache check and see if the hider was a regular member or premium member. Than check the next one and the next one. See what you find out. Also check the cache and the shape it is in. I would bet you would find the majority of the caches you find are premium member hides. So you are going to attack all of them yet go get there hides. How about this maybe since you like attack Premium members why not go ahead and ignore all premium members. Be equal about it and get rid of all of them. Than go find whats left.

After all that is said this was just for the owner of this forum. If you are a regular cacher which many of my friends are, I want you to enjoy the game. HAve fun finding any cache you want. I have no problem with any cacher unless they come in attacking like this.

Ok...the stealing part I can maybe understand if the container was special or contained something shinier than normal, but the permission part????? Why should that make a difference? The cache concerned is on a public footpath, for heavens sake!...

Just because the public has a right of way, does not mean they have a right to anything else.

I know many public trails printed on State materials that go across private property. On the trails the only right you have is to pass through the property by way of the trail.

Now if I want to make a hide on private property with a public trail on it, first I would get permission, second I would consider making the cache a PMOC, so that less people will think they should hide around there too and possibly causing my permission to be pulled.

Hello all,

Magic Phil.

It's got nothing to do with snobbery and the sooner you let go of that opinion, the quicker you'll understand why people choose to make some caches Premium-only.

Hello all,

[Long post about premium member only caches]

Magic Phil.

As you used the 'E' word in your post it might prevent a whole lot of rather repetitive, angsty posts if I simply refer you to this fairly recent long discussion about this very topic:

Premium Member Only caches are elitist!

(It was started in 2008 and was still chuntering along last month.)

MrsB :)

(Happy to be one of the many elite)

Edited by The Blorenges

Hello all,

[Long post about premium member only caches]

Magic Phil.

As you used the 'E' word in your post it might prevent a whole lot of rather repetitive, angsty posts if I simply refer you to this fairly recent long discussion about this very topic:

Premium Member Only caches are elitist!

(It was started in 2008 and was still chuntering along last month.)

MrsB :)

(Happy to be one of the many elite)

Thank you, Mrs B.

Yes, this thread could indeed be locked.

"Chuntering"??? Cool, new word of the day. Thanks again.

Magic,

Respectfully, it seems to me your post is flaming the flamers and your post suggests a reverse elitism of sorts. I also think your parenthesis makes a big presumption. I am an on again. off again premium member, more off than on. I admit to having asked the elitism question myself.

To me a the fairly minimal fee aside there are a couple of good solid non elitist reasons for premium membership, to reduce the risk of caches and contents from being ripped off, destroyed and/or filled up with junk

Edited by Geodalf

Elitist snob here.

Is it time for this thread again already?? My how time flies.

I looked up my response in the thread for repeated answers, and found my usual reply to this is

"how much do you pay for cable TV? You can afford that and not this?"

I would suggest turning off your cable and getting a premium membership instead. You'll save a lot of money and it's much better for you.

Well, old Magic Phil is a successful fisherman. He dangled the bait in several threads and a lot of folks took the hook and got snagged. I suspect he is chuckling all the way to the next "boring" non-premium cache he is going to add to his list of finds. More than likely he caches with some other name than the one he uses for this sock-puppet.

Well, old Magic Phil is a successful fisherman. He dangled the bait in several threads and a lot of folks took the hook and got snagged. I suspect he is chuckling all the way to the next "boring" non-premium cache he is going to add to his list of finds. More than likely he caches with some other name than the one he uses for this sock-puppet.

Lol..I kind of figured that post would get everyone's panties in a knot. I had fun watching from the sidelines though. :laughing:

It doesn't really matter to me whether a cache is PO or basic. I got my Premium for 2 reasons: First and foremost, the bookmark feature. I really wanted a smoother way to organize what I was planning to do. Second, I enjoy this, and I know all too well how expensive it can get to run a website. I don't mind supporting one that brings me substantial enjoyment.

I also don't have cable TV. 30 Dollars isn't "chump change" to me, but it isn't really that much. Bring your lunch to work with you for a week, and you're set to go. Or, have a few less beers, or give up smoking. It's pretty easy to come up with. (Incidentally, you should give up smoking anyway. About 10 years ago, I saw a statistic saying that if you start smoking on your 18th birthday, and smoke one pack per day until you turn 40, you'll have spent over 100,000$ on cigarettes. And they smell bad.)

... Next time you go find a cache check and see if the hider was a regular member or premium member. ...

YUP.

Before looking for a cache, check the owner's 'status'. If they are a PM, do not DO NOT go looking for that cache! Stage your own protest and don't search for caches hidden by PM owners.

I'm sure it won't be long before those cache owners take notice, and begin to wonder WHY their caches haven't been found by Magic Phil yet. When they start sending you eMail about this, you can explain the situation on your own terms. I am absolutely certain they will then see the error of their ways and remove the PM status from ANY/ALL caches they have hidden.

... Next time you go find a cache check and see if the hider was a regular member or premium member. ...

YUP.

Before looking for a cache, check the owner's 'status'. If they are a PM, do not DO NOT go looking for that cache! Stage your own protest and don't search for caches hidden by PM owners.

I'm sure it won't be long before those cache owners take notice, and begin to wonder WHY their caches haven't been found by Magic Phil yet. When they start sending you eMail about this, you can explain the situation on your own terms. I am absolutely certain they will then see the error of their ways and remove the PM status from ANY/ALL caches they have hidden.

I think you are behind the times, AZ! I am a PM, and I can report, with much distress, that Magic Phil has never found ANY of my caches. I hang my head in shame. Farewell, OT! Goodbye, PQ Square! It's a long, long way to platinum... but my heart's right there!

Magic,

Respectfully, it seems to me your post is flaming the flamers and your post suggests a reverse elitism of sorts. I also think your parenthesis makes a big presumption. I am an on again. off again premium member, more off than on. I admit to having asked the elitism question myself.

To me a the fairly minimal fee aside there are a couple of good solid non elitist reasons for premium membership, to reduce the risk of caches and contents from being ripped off, destroyed and/or filled up with junk

That was a well-thought out post, Geodalf. Thank you.

Hello all,

Magic Phil.

Pay the $30 a year or stop complaining, or stay within the non-premium guildlines.

Very Simple.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic
It's actually a four tier system. Basic, Premium, Platinum and...err...forget I mentioned 'four'. Ok?

Actually it is a four-tier system:

1. Non-member (uses a pre-loaded unit like GeoMate Jr.)
  2. Member
  3. Premium Member
  4. Platinum Member

Now if they had a member-only category (covering groups 2-4 above)...

In the meantime, suck it up princess.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
It's actually a four tier system. Basic, Premium, Platinum and...err...forget I mentioned 'four'. Ok?

2. Member
  3. Premium Member
  4. Platinum Member

You're forgetting Charter Members :P

dam, I had to pay $5.65 for a Big Mac today and another $5.00 tomorrow to go to the gym to work it of, dam elitist skinny people!

NOTE: I am neither fat, nor did I eat a Big Mac today but I could afford both the Big Mac and the gym and a premium membership on top of that as well. Heck I can even afford gas and a car and great backpacking stuff and the iMac to post this post, wow, life is sweet.

Sorry, just rambling, I had too much beer and you have no clue how expensive beer is in Canada.

Anyways, since when was ever life fair?

Edited by [Roman]

2. Member
  3. Premium Member
  4. Platinum Member

And banned members.

2. Member
  3. Premium Member
  4. Platinum Member

And banned members.

What do trumpet players have to do with this?

2. Member
  3. Premium Member
  4. Platinum Member

And banned members.

But all the "banned member only" caches are listed on another website.

2. Member
  3. Premium Member
  4. Platinum Member

And banned members.

But all the "banned member only" caches are listed on another website.

Over at www.bannedcamp.com?

Personally I like having the tiered system. I have used the premium member feature to sell the idea to the land owner on a couple caches. It won't get quite as much traffic and you will only get people who are super duper passionate about caching (not just super passionate).

I also like the idea I am getting something for supporting the site. Although if I got nothing else I probably would support the site anyway :)

If 90% of the caches were premium there would be a problem since a majority of them are open to the free membership then it should really be a non-issue.

It certainly does appear that the vast majority of responses have been premium members which surprises no one I'm sure. As a non-premium member I simply wanted to say that the premium only caches are a great perk and an idea I fully support. I'm very grateful to be able to enjoy the website and the infrastrucure and the maps and the community that supports this hobby/game/addiction/challenge all free-of-charge.

I haven't been able to justify the expense just yet but it's silly of me to think the premium members don't subsidize my enjoyment. Calling them out as elitist snobs confuses me so I'll simply take this opportunity to thank them.

It certainly does appear that the vast majority of responses have been premium members which surprises no one I'm sure. As a non-premium member I simply wanted to say that the premium only caches are a great perk and an idea I fully support. I'm very grateful to be able to enjoy the website and the infrastrucure and the maps and the community that supports this hobby/game/addiction/challenge all free-of-charge.

I haven't been able to justify the expense just yet but it's silly of me to think the premium members don't subsidize my enjoyment. Calling them out as elitist snobs confuses me so I'll simply take this opportunity to thank them.

Members only caches are only one of a couple dozen perks of a premium membership. If they were not one of the perks, say if they never existed, I seriously doubt you'd ever hear the word "elitist" muttered once. But when you have them, and many have publicly expressed they use the designation to "award people for supporting the website", as if they all have the warm fuzzy feeling of giving $30/year to The Red Cross, the E word is bound to happen.

EDIT: And I will always believe that Premium Memberships are a small portion of their revenue stream. Not insignificant, but not the major source.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Hello all,

Magic Phil.

No, you missed the point. Some cachers are better than others. Please stop expressing your opinion until you are granted permission to do so.

:P