Geocacher attitude

toil&trouble

Okay, we've been caching for around six years, we've cached in the western states, Canada and a little in Mexico, we've met lots of geocachers in the field and at events and have almost always found them to be really nice. So why is there so much attitude on the forums? I freely admit, that maybe it's my perspective, but it just seems that there are a lot of folks who worry too much about how others play the game. Okay, so you sign every single log, and don't count a find unless you can physically sign the log, what does it matter if someone else sees the cache, has their hand on the cache, but doesn't feel the need to sign the log? I don't ever trade swag, so what difference does it make if I open the container or not? We cache because we enjoy it, it's not work, we equally enjoy urban caching as well as nice hikes in the woods, some days we do 2, some days we do 30. But I've read so many posts on the forums, where people seem to be judging others for caching "for the numbers", or just doing urban micros, again, who cares? Is a day spent caching in a big city hunting wicked nanos somehow less than a day spent hiking 15 miles to pick up a cache or two?

I'm just venting, we love the sport, and now that we're retired we cache most days, and since we live in our motor home, we cache somewhere new constantly. We so appreciate all the people who take the time and effort to place caches, good and bad, because what I think is a "stupid" cache, some one else might call a favorite. Let's enjoy caching and not try to dictate how others cache. Just my two cents.

Some one has a sig line that reads something like "the forums are the talk radio of the geocaching world".

Some of use (myself included) have more time to hang out in here than go caching- so we have a chance to form very solid opinions on all kinds of aspects of geocaching.

Edit: if you don't open the cache how do you know you found it?

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I'm with you. I don't give a hoot about how anyone else plays. In our area there is a group that meets for breakfast once a week and then goes caching together. The breakfast is posted as an "event" and some attendees log it each time they attend. You would not believe the snarky comments that get thrown around about those players! Why would someone care whether someone else does this?

Some one has a sig line that reads something like "the forums are the talk radio of the geocaching world".

Some of use (myself included) have more time to hang out in here than go caching- so we have a chance to form very solid opinions on all kinds of aspects of geocaching.

Well, if I see a nano stuck to the back of a stop sign, and my GPSr tells me I am 0 feet from the cache, I'm pretty sure I've found it without opening it and unrolling the log. I just hate getting those nano logs rolled back up again! Just a couple of days ago we were searching, our GPSr said we were .2 miles from the cache, but there's tuperware in the crook of a tree. So, I had to open it to find out if that was it, turns out it was a letterbox, so we re-rid it and kept looking. It's generally pretty easy to know that you're actually found it without opening it. If there's a question, we open it up. Our best friends who introduced us to caching, sign every log, but to each their own. I'm so glad to know that there are folks out there who don't think we're "cheating" not that it matters. Like I said, lets have fun!

Well, if I see a nano stuck to the back of a stop sign, and my GPSr tells me I am 0 feet from the cache, I'm pretty sure I've found it without opening it and unrolling the log. I just hate getting those nano logs rolled back up again! Just a couple of days ago we were searching, our GPSr said we were .2 miles from the cache, but there's tuperware in the crook of a tree. So, I had to open it to find out if that was it, turns out it was a letterbox, so we re-rid it and kept looking. It's generally pretty easy to know that you're actually found it without opening it. If there's a question, we open it up. Our best friends who introduced us to caching, sign every log, but to each their own. I'm so glad to know that there are folks out there who don't think we're "cheating" not that it matters. Like I said, lets have fun!

Those little nano logs are rather difficult to roll back up.

No one says you have to sign the log book, however if you log on line you need to.

The reasons have been listed here ad nauseum and don't need to be reiterated, however it is the only basic proof that you found the cache. If you simply drive by and see the area, you're Waymarking and we see how well that has worked out.

We have had caches with a couple of DNF's. Before we got out to do maintenance, a found it log popped up. No need to run out now. Then another DNF from someone we know so we check and, sure enough, the found it "saw" what they thought was the cache but were too lazy to retrieve. In these cases, it does affect other cachers.

There is no need to justify why signatures are required. It is a basic prinicple in caching and, frankly, your only way to tell if you really found it.

Okay, we've been caching for around six years, we've cached in the western states, Canada and a little in Mexico, we've met lots of geocachers in the field and at events and have almost always found them to be really nice. So why is there so much attitude on the forums? I freely admit, that maybe it's my perspective, but it just seems that there are a lot of folks who worry too much about how others play the game. Okay, so you sign every single log, and don't count a find unless you can physically sign the log, what does it matter if someone else sees the cache, has their hand on the cache, but doesn't feel the need to sign the log? I don't ever trade swag, so what difference does it make if I open the container or not? We cache because we enjoy it, it's not work, we equally enjoy urban caching as well as nice hikes in the woods, some days we do 2, some days we do 30. But I've read so many posts on the forums, where people seem to be judging others for caching "for the numbers", or just doing urban micros, again, who cares? Is a day spent caching in a big city hunting wicked nanos somehow less than a day spent hiking 15 miles to pick up a cache or two?

I'm just venting, we love the sport, and now that we're retired we cache most days, and since we live in our motor home, we cache somewhere new constantly. We so appreciate all the people who take the time and effort to place caches, good and bad, because what I think is a "stupid" cache, some one else might call a favorite. Let's enjoy caching and not try to dictate how others cache. Just my two cents.

I agree with all of this 100%. Although, I sign every log book. Just me.

Edited by BigDrig

we've met lots of geocachers in the field and at events and have almost always found them to be really nice. So why is there so much attitude on the forums?

I've had the same experience. I chalk it up to the perceived anonymity of the forums. People tend to be nicer to each other face to face. Many things are said in impersonal setting such as an internet forum that most people would never say in person.

No one says you have to sign the log book, however if you log on line you need to.

The reasons have been listed here ad nauseum and don't need to be reiterated, however it is the only basic proof that you found the cache. If you simply drive by and see the area, you're Waymarking and we see how well that has worked out.

We have had caches with a couple of DNF's. Before we got out to do maintenance, a found it log popped up. No need to run out now. Then another DNF from someone we know so we check and, sure enough, the found it "saw" what they thought was the cache but were too lazy to retrieve. In these cases, it does affect other cachers.

There is no need to justify why signatures are required. It is a basic prinicple in caching and, frankly, your only way to tell if you really found it.

Okay, I don't feel the need to prove to you that I found the cache. If the cache owner has a question about my online log, they can contact me and we'll provide proof that the actually found it. I have had one cache owner delete a find because I told him that we found it (gave him a good description) but we couldn't actually retrieve the cache. He didn't feel that counted as a find, and since it's his cache, we're okay with that. I never log a find unless I actually can get my hands on the cache, I'm not saying I drive by and call it a find. I own caches, so I understand how a fake found can cause issues, you know know if you need to go check on a cache, etc.

I think (hope?) that you will find that attitude is generally met with a similar attitude, just as in real life. People that push generally get pushed back, whereas people that bring something good to the party are generally met by smiles and handshakes.

Exactly!!! My way of looking at life, is I hope the world is a better place because I'm in it, be positive, enjoy life, see the good, help when you can, help others, I really try to not just snark because others don't see the world the way I do.

84000179-ac0d-48d1-b05a-33483496a662.jpg

I seeth by thine avatar, that thou art a witch. Thou knowest what puritans do to witches.

I seeth that already the puritans have begun to judge thee. Repent witch that thee may still be saved.

we've met lots of geocachers in the field and at events and have almost always found them to be really nice. So why is there so much attitude on the forums?

I've had the same experience. I chalk it up to the perceived anonymity of the forums. People tend to be nicer to each other face to face. Many things are said in impersonal setting such as an internet forum that most people would never say in person.

I think you'll find a number of the forum regulars have met in person and aren't particularly annonymous.

Well you know, a general anyone can do anything they want statement, many of the things listed that are outside the generally accepted Mores of the community (such as not bothering to open the cache) could itself be considered a "Geocacher Attitude". :)

Events? I dunno, they're social gatherings. I'd dare say most of the conversations I've had at them had nothing to do with Geocaching.

WELL DONE !!! Could not have said it better.

Cheers

You know with kids the parking lot/lightpole/micro gives them instant reward. They feel like they accomplish someting. Once in awhile they will want "a big one with toys" fix and we go after that. Oh and we sign all the logs just because the kids think it lets other people know we were there. So different strokes for different folks...don't sweat the small stuff and in a agame it is all small stuff.

Okay, I don't feel the need to prove to you that I found the cache. If the cache owner has a question about my online log, they can contact me and we'll provide proof that the actually found it. I have had one cache owner delete a find because I told him that we found it (gave him a good description) but we couldn't actually retrieve the cache. He didn't feel that counted as a find, and since it's his cache, we're okay with that. I never log a find unless I actually can get my hands on the cache, I'm not saying I drive by and call it a find. I own caches, so I understand how a fake found can cause issues, you know know if you need to go check on a cache, etc.

Unless stated otherwise in the cache description, can you guess what the only proof I'll except is?

I care not if you expect others to play your way and they comply, but with this CO and many others what you expect doesn't float.

I can take you to a cache, you would look at and walk away thinking that the CO was crazy listing an ammo can as a micro. Gee, I wonder why they did that? Where they trying to keep their regular size cache safe or is it packed to the brim with a joke..

Q: Whats the best way to keep a film cans dry?

A: Put them in an ammo can.

Ya saw the ammo can so ya saw the cache? No. But it ain't my cache so I won't complain about you trying to cheat yourself and the CO.

Each and every cache is "Hider vs. Finder" but remember, the hider has the upper hand because she/he doesn't have to play by your no sign self entitlement if he/she doesn't want to.

Ultimately as long as you aren't getting angry when a CO decides to delete your found it because you didn't sign, then it's all good.

frankly, your only way to tell if you really found it.

A picture of me at the cache doesn't prove I was there? Nor does an exact description of said cache?

how do you know for a fact you are describing the cache?

Because I opened it up, saw the log, and realized that the ammo box had no pen, and I was a 2 mile hike and a .5 mile bushwhack into the middle of a forest.

Edited by Coldgears

A picture of me at the cache doesn't prove I was there? Nor does an exact description of said cache?

Because I opened it up, saw the log, and realized that the ammo box had no pen, and I was a 2 mile hike and a .5 mile bushwhack into the middle of a forest.

Mud and twig?

Twig and lighter?

Chlorophyll?

How do I, as a CO know that you didn't PAF to find out what the cache looks like?

Mud and twig?

Twig and lighter?

Chlorophyll?

How do I, as a CO know that you didn't PAF to find out what the cache looks like?

How do I, as a CO know you didn't ask a friend to sign the log for you?

Oh my word....

after reading this it brings to mind a cache I recently found in Bridgnorth Shropshire,,,my pen decided it was not going to work so I took a pic of me in the cache location along with the cache container (which I had opened) and uploaded it to the site. I class this as FOUND and I would expect the owner to accept this too!

There seems to be a clique of people who seem to think that the find has to be EXACTLY as THEY decree (in terms of signing) and anything else is unacceptable..what rot!!

If I follow the gps and clues or work out the puzzles and discover the cache location and container then the spirit of Geocaching has been adhered to and the owner should accept this.

Just my 2p worth!!

Magic Phil.

Mud and twig?

Twig and lighter?

Chlorophyll?

You don't, but as a CO I do require a signature if you want to log a found it online as is my prerogative. If that signature is in there then we could debate how it got there all day long but your name is on the log so you would win.

No sig, no find count increment. But that's on my caches, as long as you don't expect me to accept your description as a find then I don't expect your signature.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

Mud and twig?

Twig and lighter?

Chlorophyll?

You don't, but as a CO I do require a signature if you want to log a found it online as is my prerogative. If that signature is in there then we could debate how it got there all day long but your sig is on the log so you would win.

No sig, no find count increment. But that's on my caches, as long as you don't expect me to accept your description as a find then I don't expect your signature.

Your argument is that allowing people to take a picture of the cache could enable cheating. I have a camera on me at all times.

However, is it not more likely that cheating would occur by having a friend sign a log for you?

If so, you must have an alterative motive. Please explain.

Keep in mind, I was just giving another example. I find pictures are the best proof of finds, even more-so then logs. They are nearly impossible to cheat on.

Different situation, not what the op asked. :unsure: I always carry at least one pencil and can't tell you how many I have left in caches. :blink:

Keep in mind, I was just giving another example. I find pictures are the best proof of finds, even more-so then logs. They are nearly impossible to cheat on.

Check out those Challenge thingies where a picture is requested. No cheating?

Taking a picture of the outside of a cache that is opening, retreaving and replacing the cache is a part of the challenge instead of sigining isn't in some way cheating?

Check out those Challenge thingies where a picture is requested. No cheating?

Taking a picture of the outside of a cache that is opening, retreaving and replacing the cache is a part of the challenge instead of sigining isn't in some way cheating?

Depending on the CO... No. That is a different scenario. It's like putting a throw down container at a virtual. It might be except-able on a traditional. Not on a virtual.

Any-hoo. I've cheated on those caches too. I had my friend climb up a tree and bring it down for me too sign. So even the signing of log isn't cheat-proof either.

Your argument is that allowing people to take a picture of the cache could enable cheating. I have a camera on me at all times.

However, is it not more likely that cheating would occur by having a friend sign a log for you?

I never said anything of the kind, so the next question would be what is you motivation for making an unfounded accusation?

GC29GW1 care to guess who the CO is of this cache that specifically states

Should you not sign the log then you must supply a picture to claim your found it.

It is my right to require a sig and my right to reject any other form of supposed proof legitimate or not. If you think you have the right not to sign, that is true but you take away any right you may have had if your sig was in the log. It is that simple.

Mud and twig?

Twig and lighter?

Chlorophyll?

This is precisely the attitude the OP is refering to. Geocaching is a light fun activity. It's not a competition. The find count is not a score.

If a log appears to be bogus, cache owners should delete it. Most cache owners have little problem assuming that most found logs are legitimate. Even it they are a little apprehensive because the finder states that they forgot to sign the log, most cache owners will accept alternate proof like a description of what was found.

A few cache owners seem to have an attitude that they don't care how obvious it is that someone found their cache. They are going to enforce an entirely made-up rule and delete logs if the log book isn't signed.

There are a few caches where an admission that the log wasn't signed gives and appearence that the cache wasn't found. Certainly cache owners that have put a physical obstacle to signing the log (climbing a tree, monkey puzzle, etc.) may see such a log as indicating the obstacle was not overcome. Sometimes the find log will even state so. It's perfectly reasonable for these cache owners to question the find. A reasonable cache owner would still accept an explaination that provides evidence that the obstacle was overcome even it the physical log was not signed.

This game is not exactly a nuclear arms treaty. It's enough to trust. Verify only when something doesn't smell quite right and then be flexible. The signed log is usually the best verification, but it is rarely the only one.

I never said anything of the kind, so the next question would be what is you motivation for making an unfounded accusation?

Should you not sign the log then you must supply a picture to claim your found it.

It is my right to require a sig and my right to reject any other form of supposed proof legitimate or not. If you think you have the right not to sign, that is true but you take away any right you may have had if your sig was in the log. It is that simple.

It is your right to deny any finds you deem illegitimate. However, I question your motives. You have not given me one compelling argument other then cheating, which, I have shown that it is also possible to cheat by signing a log, if not more-so then a picture.

Why exactly won't you except it? Imposing your personal morals on others? Another reason I am over looking? What?

Well, the rules themselves a simple : in order to have a 'real' log, you have to sign the book.

That said though, in my eyes it's all about having fun doing what you like to do, I don't care if you amend the rules a little for yourself in order to make the adventure of finding a cache a bit easier (for whatever reason). I also own a couple of caches and am really not looking like a watchdog at them to see if somebody really signed the book or not. If somebody logs it, I asume they found it and don't think any further about it. Makes me happy not having to worry about it and I hope (and am sure) that the vast majority of those passing by and logging did the job of signing. And if somebody didn't or just take a picture of it I'm happy too...

Geocaching is fun and I'm really not going to take it to a level where I have to start worrying about it .

Nope.

Neither does my name. Anyone can write "coldgears" in a cache.

Let me make it simple so we can stop all these wild hypothetical situations you seem to like to throw around. My cache, I require signature. You're too lazy sign, I delete, GS backs me. Don't like, don't hunt my caches.

The situation you mentioned about the long hike with no pen, I have been there (although rarely am without pen). I waited until I could get back to sign before logging. I do not care what the CO "would" accept, for me, no sig, no online log nor increment in count. Previous poster is correct. It is not a score, so if you or I do not log on line, no big deal however signing log is not only the accepted norm, it is the first thing GS will look at to settle a dispute.

Again, not trying to make it work, but without some standards, this just becomes Waymarking. No one wants that.

It is your right to deny any finds you deem illegitimate. However, I question your motives. You have not given me one compelling argument other then cheating, which, I have shown that it is also possible to cheat by signing a log, if not more-so then a picture.

Why exactly won't you except it? Imposing your personal morals on others? Another reason I am over looking? What?

My motivation is, if it isn't your cache then don't expect jack unless the log has you sig in it.

I'm not going to tell the next CO over that he/she is wrong because they allowed you to describe the cache. But I will tell you you are wrong for expecting me to do the same.

Try reading the point you are trying to get across and understand you are doing exactly what you accuse me of. Then understand what you have to say about me or any COs motivations doesn't matter when we are doing nothing wrong.

Nope.

Let me make it simple so we can stop all these wild hypothetical situations you seem to like to throw around. My cache, I require signature. You're too lazy sign, I delete, GS backs me. Don't like, don't hunt my caches.

The situation you mentioned about the long hike with no pen, I have been there (although rarely am without pen). I waited until I could get back to sign before logging. I do not care what the CO "would" accept, for me, no sig, no online log nor increment in count. Previous poster is correct. It is not a score, so if you or I do not log on line, no big deal however signing log is not only the accepted norm, it is the first thing GS will look at to settle a dispute.

Again, not trying to make it work, but without some standards, this just becomes Waymarking. No one wants that.

First of all, it is not wild, nor hypothetical. I've had numerous geocaching buddies, and family members all offer to sign a log in a geocache for me. I said "no" of course.

I try as hard as I can to sign the log, but I refuse to do another 2 mile hike. I do geocaching for my own enjoyment, not for numbers. I'd rather leave it as "not found" then go back and find the cache again.

Now, I understand you want to get on your high-and-mighty chair and spit down on me. But, you still have not given me adequate reason for why a picture of me at the cache, opened up, and with the log in my hand, is not adequate proof I have found it.

That's part of it. Another part of it is the lack of non-verbal cues (e.g., facial expression, tone of voice) in written communication. In an online forum, there's plenty of sloppy writing, and plenty of sloppy reading, and no non-verbal cues to help people sort out what others really mean. Miscommunication happens, and comments intended in the best possible way are often taken in the worst possible way.

Nope.

First of all, it is not wild, nor hypothetical. I've had numerous geocaching buddies, and family members all offer to sign a log in a geocache for me. I said "no" of course.

Any-hoo. I've cheated on those caches too. I had my friend climb up a tree and bring it down for me too sign. So even the signing of log isn't cheat-proof either.

I try as hard as I can to sign the log, but I refuse to do another 2 mile hike. I do geocaching for my own enjoyment, not for numbers. I'd rather leave it as "not found" then go back and find the cache again.

Now, I understand you want to get on your high-and-mighty chair and spit down on me. But, you still have not given me adequate reason for why a picture of me at the cache, opened up, and with the log in my hand, is not adequate proof I have found it.

Actually, we all have, but I will one more time. It is the accepted norm within the community, so we choose to do it. If at as CO, you choose not to, fine, but please do not impose your morals on the rest of us.

Edited by baloo&bd

Mud and twig?

Twig and lighter?

Chlorophyll?

Or a relative. :P

Thanks, Dad!!

I don't ever trade swag, so what difference does it make if I open the container or not?

Signing the logbook is one of the key actions when finding a Geocache, at least according to most cachers, and the guidelines.

While I think relatively few cache owners audit the logbooks, there are some who do. Just be prepared if you don't sign the physical logbook, to get a few finds deleted. If you're ok with that, then cool. Otherwise you might want to either sign the logbooks, or just not log the caches online.

If you want to keep a record of your finds then you could always post a note instead of a "found it" log on those caches where you don't sign the logbook.