FTF reward geocoin that is owned by purchaser?

The_Wagners

So the wife and I are out caching today and as we locate a FTF cache, it contains a first to find micro geocoin in it that wasn't in the cache's inventory! Naturally, the Mrs. and I are excited that someone left a prize for the FTF cacher. Being the responsible cachers we are, I looked up the coin to make sure it wasn't activated and low and behold it was! Apparently the coin was specifically bought as a FTF "reward" that you log, and place in other caches for other cachers' FTF "reward." Of course naturally, the wife and I were a bit bummed because we had been led to believe it was a trade item, which it of course isn't. Is this a practice that is frequently used? It seems to me listing it as a reward for finding a cache then saying you can't have it would leave cachers confused. Of course it didn't help that the coin wasn't listed in the inventory, but this is the first FTF "reward" I've heard of that you didn't keep.

So the wife and I are out caching today and as we locate a FTF cache, it contains a first to find micro geocoin in it that wasn't in the cache's inventory! Naturally, the Mrs. and I are excited that someone left a prize for the FTF cacher. Being the responsible cachers we are, I looked up the coin to make sure it wasn't activated and low and behold it was! Apparently the coin was specifically bought as a FTF "reward" that you log, and place in other caches for other cachers' FTF "reward." Of course naturally, the wife and I were a bit bummed because we had been led to believe it was a trade item, which it of course isn't. Is this a practice that is frequently used? It seems to me listing it as a reward for finding a cache then saying you can't have it would leave cachers confused. Of course it didn't help that the coin wasn't listed in the inventory, but this is the first FTF "reward" I've heard of that you didn't keep.

I think that one idea is that you place it in a new cache, so the next FTF gets it, and they start a new cache with it and so on.

Is this a practice that is frequently used? It seems to me listing it as a reward for finding a cache then saying you can't have it would leave cachers confused. Of course it didn't help that the coin wasn't listed in the inventory, but this is the first FTF "reward" I've heard of that you didn't keep.

You get FTF and a First To Log, too. :grin:

It's not uncommon for a coin or TB to be introduced in a new cache. I'd have logged it into the cache when placing it (well, once the cache was active... maybe it was an issue of timing?), but people can manage their Travelers as they wish. I've also found some coins that looked brand new in their plastic sleeves, with no indication if they're active or not. So I've been confused as well, with extra research required to get the status, mission, etc.

It would be a good idea to ask the coin owner if they'd like to log dropping the coin into that cache. If not, you'll have to log "grabbing" it from them, which starts the coin's journey in a slightly incorrect way, in the logs. Is this a new coin, or has it already been traveling?

Enjoy the coin and move it along... and someday you can place your own cache and show people how it's done. :P

Edited by kunarion

Actually, we're the third cacher to have this in their possession. Even the first finder of the coin was confused when they found the activated FTF coin, but admittedly our confusion came from it being the only other item in the cache and it not being listed in the inventory or in the description. We're not fretting over it. We were just curious if this was a common practice. Thanks. :)

We were just curious if this was a common practice. Thanks. :)

If it's this coin, John In Valley Forge was right, the idea is to make a new cache due to finding that coin:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3634514

That's super cheesy. I'd be VERY annoyed to find a "FTF Prize" coin with no attached mission, which turns out to have a very specific mission of having the finder make a new cache, place the coin in it, and disappoint yet another FTF cacher. That coin's mission is like a nasty prank (other CO's have already played along with it?!), and I would not participate. It's usually not advisable to add a "mission" note to someone else's Traveler, but I'd be very tempted to do so in this case.

I've seen similar things like that -- "now you're required to go make a cache yourself due to finding this", and it's nonsense. Nevermind anything I said before :blink:. See if you can get the logs straigtened out (the Cache Owner should log placing it), then drop the coin in another cache, and make a nice log that it's not a "prize" to keep and that the coin owner should specify that with a note on the coin itself, so people don't get confused. AND that future persons to make a new cache for this coin should make it clear that it's an activated coin, not to keep.

Edited by kunarion

Actually, we're the third cacher to have this in their possession. Even the first finder of the coin was confused when they found the activated FTF coin, but admittedly our confusion came from it being the only other item in the cache and it not being listed in the inventory or in the description. We're not fretting over it. We were just curious if this was a common practice. Thanks. :)

I can say, with 99.999999% certainty, that this is not a common practice. :P

Naw, we know you're not fretting over it. Once you read the coin page a couple of times, it's relatively easy to understand the goal. I like moving trackables, and always try to keep the owners wishes in mind. In my particular case, I couldn't care less about being FTF on a cache, and I really, really don't care who is FTF on any cache I have placed, so I would hand it off to someone who is into the FTF game.

Once you read the coin page a couple of times, it's relatively easy to understand the goal. I like moving trackables, and always try to keep the owners wishes in mind. In my particular case, I couldn't care less about being FTF on a cache, and I really, really don't care who is FTF on any cache I have placed, so I would hand it off to someone who is into the FTF game.

The mission is -- interesting. I had seen those FTF coins, and wondered how they could possibly remain in play (not kept by, say, the FTF). The coin's page is rather straight-forward. "Put coin in a new cache you make." The fact that it's presented in a cache without that mission included, it's more insidious. You find the coin, get a real sick feeling that it's basically a prank (or a chain letter). But you pass the coin along, continue the chain, to Pay It Forward. You have the power to make the NEXT poor soul as miserable as you feel right now. Bottom line, it keeps the coin moving...

Edited by kunarion

Once you read the coin page a couple of times, it's relatively easy to understand the goal. I like moving trackables, and always try to keep the owners wishes in mind. In my particular case, I couldn't care less about being FTF on a cache, and I really, really don't care who is FTF on any cache I have placed, so I would hand it off to someone who is into the FTF game.

The mission is -- interesting. I had seen those FTF coins, and wondered how they could possibly remain in play (not kept by, say, the FTF). The coin's page is rather straight-forward. "Put coin in a new cache you make." The fact that it's presented in a cache without that mission included, it's more insidious. You find the coin, get a real sick feeling that it's basically a prank (or a chain letter). But you pass the coin along, continue the chain, to Pay It Forward. You have the power to make the NEXT poor soul as miserable as you feel right now. Bottom line, it keeps the coin moving...

No No No

It has an insidious mission.

Break the chain.

Take it outside and beat it with a hammer until it is nothing but a flat piece of base metal, then put it in a recycle bin.

Break the chain.

Take it outside and beat it with a hammer until it is nothing but a flat piece of base metal, then put it in a recycle bin.

That won't work. It must be thrown into the fires of Mount Doom where it was forged.

... either that, or coin owners could send out items with any special Missions included, and cachers could do accurate tracking logs. The journey to Mordor is more likely. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

people are "disappointed" and "VERY annoyed" at the way someone placed a geocache (not enough swag, bummer) and left a geocoin in it? Come on, folks, if you don't want to go along with the mission, just leave the nice coin in another cache and let someone who appreciates the efforts of the owners of the cache the coin move it along. I find these negative and entitled sentiments pretty sad.

people are "disappointed" and "VERY annoyed" at the way someone placed a geocache (not enough swag, bummer) and left a geocoin in it? Come on, folks, if you don't want to go along with the mission, just leave the nice coin in another cache and let someone who appreciates the efforts of the owners of the cache the coin move it along. I find these negative and entitled sentiments pretty sad.

I think it is entitlement to leave a FTF coin without a printed out mission page that expects the FTF to create a cache. Becoming a CO is not for everyone. I can understand that it would be nice to pass on the thrill of being FTF but how hard would it have been to include a mission statement for the coin. It does leave one with a let down feeling.

+1,000

The sense of entitlement has become staggering.

If you want to break the chain and keep it, well do so at your own risk.

If you don't want to create a cache and put it in to pay it forward, simply move the coin to the next cache.

I have seen a few hundred TBs and Geocoins in caches that didn't have a mission printed out with it.

Either the mission statement was lost (it does happen) or was never there in the first place (we'll never know)

So now that you know, move it so someone else will take up the mission.

Edited by buttaskotch

My daughter and I are guilty of doing this. We didn't realize that is should not be activated. We have activated coins and put them in our new caches and said there is a TB or geocoin for the first to find but didn't mean it as a unactivated coin. There is other swagg in most of them if you didn't want it. I always like to find a TB or coin so we thought it would be cool for the FTF to get one. I will take note of this for future caches and maybe place unactivated ones in it.

I think we even did this! Maybe this is our coin that has been MIA! We did put in the description that we would like it to be set up in a new cache but if not just to move it along for someone who might want to make a new one with it.

My link

If you feel the need to do this it is fine no worries. We did pack that cache with a lot of other cool swagg too I just thought it was the best place to release the FTF coin I got my daughter because of the cute FTF frog on it. I didn't know what else a FTF frog coin would be for but I can see now it would be unactivated.

Oh and I know this is probily not our coin we are talking about.

-WarNinjas

My daughter and I are guilty of doing this. We didn't realize that is should not be activated. We have activated coins and put them in our new caches and said there is a TB or geocoin for the first to find but didn't mean it as a unactivated coin.

That's perfectly fine. You can log that you dropped it in the cache, mention that it's active, and add a little slip of paper in the coin's pouch with a fun mission if you like.

The confusion happens when it's not logged into the cache and there's no indication that the coin's already active, which may be another way it could go missing real quick.

In the case of the Cursed TB, it has actually been picked up by it's owner according to his log. (Though he didn't actually log it out of the cache inventory.) It seems that it was sitting in that cache for 9 months though. :blink:

Edit: Forgot to post this, but I know there was a local cacher who apparently took an activated coin he didn't own from a cache and used it as a FTF prize. Which seemed more then a little odd to me. The funny thing is, the person who got as an "FTF" prize dropped it off in the cache where the cache hider had gotten it from, so it went full circle. :)

Edited by EdrickV

TB33JAK is in GC2D34J and is a FTF/cursed thingy. As you can see so far, no one has bothered to pick it up and the cache has been out over a year.

Maybe the Coin Owner wanted to do something like this, but didn't word it very well.

its possible the trackable isn't in the cache and thats why its not moving.

It's still there (at least it was back in the Spring) but no one seems overly interested in it.

I think it is weird that they didn't put anything else in the cache for swag. Bummer. I think I would print out a mission page for it and then take it back to that cache (unless it is far away) or another cache closer by and drop it off. If someone else wants to place it, the mission would be clear before the person takes the coin.

This FTF coin, and the cache, were my first. I did not realize that I needed to print off the mission page and put it with the coin. As others have posted, it is readily apparent from the web page for the coin. I regret any confusion that I may have caused and agree that whoever has the coin now should print off the mission page and put it in a baggie with the coin so that everything is clear from the get go when the coin is next found in a cache. Also, this cache did have a lot of good swag in it from the start. It is an ammo box and has already been "favorited" a couple of times. :smile: Thanks, Hud

Edited by hudweiser

I think it is weird that they didn't put anything else in the cache for swag. Bummer. I think I would print out a mission page for it and then take it back to that cache (unless it is far away) or another cache closer by and drop it off. If someone else wants to place it, the mission would be clear before the person takes the coin.

This FTF coin, and the cache, were my first. I did not realize that I needed to print off the mission page and put it with the coin. As others have posted, it is readily apparent from the web page for the coin. I regret any confusion that I may have caused and agree that whoever has the coin now should print off the mission page and put it in a baggie with the coin so that everything is clear from the get go when the coin is next found in a cache. Also, this cache did have a lot of good swag in it from the start. It is an ammo box and has already been "favorited" a couple of times. :smile: Thanks, Hud

Thank you for your kind reply. Blessings!

Thanks. This was my first cache which if you check it out: Southern Woods at Night, you will see that I put some effort into it. Nevertheless, I wish I had nailed the FTF coin mission thing according to what appears to be standard practice (hard copy with the coin). I will do better next time. Hud :yikes:

My daughter and I are guilty of doing this. We didn't realize that is should not be activated. We have activated coins and put them in our new caches and said there is a TB or geocoin for the first to find but didn't mean it as a unactivated coin. There is other swagg in most of them if you didn't want it. I always like to find a TB or coin so we thought it would be cool for the FTF to get one. I will take note of this for future caches and maybe place unactivated ones in it.

I think we even did this! Maybe this is our coin that has been MIA! We did put in the description that we would like it to be set up in a new cache but if not just to move it along for someone who might want to make a new one with it.

My link

If you feel the need to do this it is fine no worries. We did pack that cache with a lot of other cool swagg too I just thought it was the best place to release the FTF coin I got my daughter because of the cute FTF frog on it. I didn't know what else a FTF frog coin would be for but I can see now it would be unactivated.

Oh and I know this is probily not our coin we are talking about.

-WarNinjas

Don't worry, it definitely isn't your coin. I got on the forum page this morning and matched up the original post with the name of the member who currently has my coin. Hopefully the proposed solution of attaching the mission page will make everyone happy. Hud

Here is a link to a color pdf of the mission page for the subject coin that I have created for your convenience: Signal FTF Coin. I would appreciate it if you would be so kind as to print off the mission page and put it with the coin. I regret any confusion or sadness I caused you and your wife. I wish the coin had been logged into the cache where you found it, but please note that the coin was originally logged in to my cache when I set it up on 8-1-11. Thanks, Hud :smile:

Thanks. This was my first cache which if you check it out: Southern Woods at Night, you will see that I put some effort into it. Nevertheless, I wish I had nailed the FTF coin mission thing according to what appears to be standard practice (hard copy with the coin). I will do better next time.

To me, the issue is not so much the lack of documentation as with the misnomer that the coin is some kind of "prize." In actual fact, you are asking the FTF to do you a favor by moving your coin. What a treat for them.

Thanks. This was my first cache which if you check it out: Southern Woods at Night, you will see that I put some effort into it. Nevertheless, I wish I had nailed the FTF coin mission thing according to what appears to be standard practice (hard copy with the coin). I will do better next time.

To me, the issue is not so much the lack of documentation as with the misnomer that the coin is some kind of "prize." In actual fact, you are asking the FTF to do you a favor by moving your coin. What a treat for them.

You say that as if it were a bad thing. B) I do see your point and, perhaps having the mission page with the coin will allow the folks who see it as a bother to leave the coin alone, and will allow the folks who actually see it as a treat to take up the mission. Thanks, Hud

You say that as if it were a bad thing. B)

Bob: Congratulations! You've just won a brand new car!

Doug: Sweet! I've never won anything before! :D

Bob: But there's a catch... You can't keep it as it still belongs to me. You're allowed to drive it around the block, show a few friends, and then give it away to the first stranger you meet so they can do the same.

Doug: Huh? :huh:

Bob: Your real reward is you get to write your name in the little book in the glove compartment!

Doug: :blink:

Seriously? Logging your coin is a "reward"? I do that with every coin I find.

Bob: But there's a catch... You can't keep it as it still belongs to me. You're allowed to drive it around the block, show a few friends, and then give it away to the first stranger you meet so they can do the same.

Bob: Your real reward is you get to write your name in the little book in the glove compartment!

You say that as if it were a bad thing. B) I do see your point and, perhaps having the mission page with the coin will allow the folks who see it as a bother to leave the coin alone, and will allow the folks who actually see it as a treat to take up the mission. Thanks, Hud

Hey Hudweiser,

We've never been FTF, but it would be great if we were and it included your coin. We would know what to do with it and think it would be awesome to add ourselves to the list. :)

TB33JAK is in GC2D34J and is a FTF/cursed thingy. As you can see so far, no one has bothered to pick it up and the cache has been out over a year.

Maybe the Coin Owner wanted to do something like this, but didn't word it very well.

its possible the trackable isn't in the cache and thats why its not moving.

It's still there (at least it was back in the Spring) but no one seems overly interested in it.

I'm totally confused by this thread. But I do know one thing, "curse to the FTF" caches seem to not be being published anymore, but a curse TB seems to be the new way of getting around this? Or maybe I'm wrong about that too, and I'm even confused worse than I thought I was. I'm glad I'm not one of the like .05% of the overall Geocaching populace who care about FTF. :P

I'm glad I'm not one of the like .05% of the overall Geocaching populace who care about FTF

I think it can be fun if you see one pop up in your area to go out and try to be the FTF. Is it tracked anywhere that you were the FTF? I was FTF on 2 caches but cant see how it is tracked in your profile or how it would be. There was another one I tried to be FTF on but there was already 2 signatures however I was the first to log it. So how would Geocaching.com know if I was the FTF or someone who logged later about it? Ive seen it on my caches to. The FTF was not the first to log it.

-WarNinjas

The FTF should be the first to sign the physical log. (If I had a cache out, I would check up on that at least.) Far as I know, it's not tracked specifically on your profile as a statistic, so to keep track of FTFs you'd have to do it yourself or see if any 3rd party sites do that. I've been 2nd to find, and done a "FTF for everyone" type cache, but haven't really been first to find any caches. I would like at least one FTF, but right now that probably won't be possible.

Thanks. This was my first cache which if you check it out: Southern Woods at Night, you will see that I put some effort into it. Nevertheless, I wish I had nailed the FTF coin mission thing according to what appears to be standard practice (hard copy with the coin). I will do better next time. Hud :yikes:

I LOVED THIS CACHE!! :D I am a total sucker for night caches and this one was bomb. Thanks Hud!

+1 It's not a 'prize' if you don't get to keep it. In our area, they do give geocoins at FTF prizes, but it's always an unactivated one.