Oregon x50 software version 5.00

allory

Oregon x50 (WebUpdater) software version 5.00

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

IMPORTANT: if upgrading from a software version less than 4.80 you must follow these steps for future BaseCamp Compatibility:

If you are a user of BaseCamp now, or plan to be in the future, you must follow these steps to ensure your data is protected during this software update:

- Connect your handheld unit to a computer and launch BaseCamp. Transfer all tracks, routes and waypoints to BaseCamp.

- Delete the /Garmin/GPX folder from the handheld's mass storage.

- Update the handheld's software via WebUpdater and reboot the handheld.

- Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data from BaseCamp back to the handheld.

Changes made from version 4.80 to 5.00:

Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines

Fixed issue where geocache icons would sometimes not draw on the map while using Garmin GB Discoverer™ maps

IMPORTANT: if upgrading from a software version less than 4.80 you must follow these steps for future BaseCamp Compatibility:

If you are a user of BaseCamp now, or plan to be in the future, you must follow these steps to ensure your data is protected during this software update:

- Connect your handheld unit to a computer and launch BaseCamp. Transfer all tracks, routes and waypoints to BaseCamp.

- Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data from BaseCamp back to the handheld.

Transfer your data to where? Recreate a GPX folder? Did to new firmware create a GPX folder? Not very clear.

Please understand I'm not shooting the messenger.

Thanks

Transfer your data to where? Recreate a GPX folder? Did to new firmware create a GPX folder? Not very clear.

Please understand I'm not shooting the messenger.

Thanks

"back to the handheld" pretty much covers it. Use BaseCamp to "send to GPS" and it will handle the rest. And it says "handheld" AKA the Oregon x50 GPSr, it doesn't say "datacard"

Since I have no plans to play their silly game at Opencaching, am not using UK maps that are problematic, deal only in POIs that use a Roman alphabet, I'm not seeing any benefit of moving off 4.50. Am I missing something?

Just the "Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines", if this didn't bother you then no. As they look like unpaved roads this bothered enough people that Garmin changed it on the Oregon and Montana series. Edited by coggins

Just the "Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines", if this didn't bother you then no. As they look like unpaved roads this bothered enough people that Garmin changed it on the Oregon and Montana series.

As noted in a different thread, unpaved roads are being blocked off to vehicle traffic and turned into 'trails' around here so fast that none of the maps would be accurate anyway. Some are even being closed to bicycle traffic. It's one way of making it nearly impossible to reach some areas unless you're prepared for a full day hike in and another out. Keeping us properly managed and in our asphalt jungles seems to be the primary objective around here.

Even number designated county roads are disappearing - closed outright or turned over to private ownership. [Whether that's legal is another question.] I've about worn out my touchscreen on my TomTom creating map corrections for road access that suddenly no longer exists. Just happened to me again last weekend... a fishing road around part of McKay lake that had been there since the lake had been there. Cached there just a few months back. Now a 'trail' of considerable length.

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, red or gray, it's all the same to me. Around here, you have to know the territory in advance or be prepared to be surprised.