On line logging etiquette and FTFs

chingha

I seek the collectives wisdom please.

I went off to a newly published cache this morning, was the 4th or 5th to sign the log. As is routine I logged the visit on the geocaching site via c:geo on my phone and moved on. I note now that one of the subsequent visitors is chiding me for not delaying my on line posting until after the FTF cacher had posted theirs. Being relatively new to this could one of the grey beards enlighten to the the etiquette of the situation please.

The following should be noted:

The First to find and sign the log has, as of 15 hours later still not logged their find and c:geo does not automatically update the caches on line logs, you simply log directly from the app.

I find this an interesting situation, not only for the above but also for the practise mentioned by another cacher of delaying logging your FTFs to "make it more exciting" for subsequent cachers who have their hopes raised only to then have them dashed on reading the cache log. My feeling is that I would far rather know the actual status of the cache rather than rush off only to find someone has beaten me to it and not told anyone about it.

In my opinion, if you log your visit before FTF has a chance to, just don't mention who was FTF.

Not everyone can log within 15 hours. We take the kids to the beach, get a FTF, stay at the beach all day long. We come home late at night, absolutely exhausted and don't log our visit till the next day. Sorry if that's inconvenient for others, but not everyone can or wants to log instantly from a smartphone. We certainly wouldn't expect anyone to hold off on logging their visit while waiting on us, though.

If I have a FTF, I would like to have the first log, but I don't expect others to hold off logging until I get around to it. I have been First To Log on many occasions, disappointed at not being FTF - yes - but not annoyed at the actual FTF for being a bit slow to log.

Our local FTF champion is notorious for not longing his FTFs promptly, sometimes even days later. Other logs usually mention him as "the usual suspect". He is a good friend of mine these days, and I know that he tends to be too busy to do his logs, because he is either out there chasing more FTFs elsewhere in the state, or finally returning home for bed just before daylight after a FTF run of several hundred kilometres (our "local" reviewer is 3 hours behind us, and many new caches are published around midnight +/- a couple of hours)!

The only time I hold off on a log, is when moving a Travelbug or geocoin. I have been disappointed when someone grabs one that I have placed, particularly when I'm on holiday and not regularly online, so when I go to do the log asap, the traveller is no longer in my inventory and I can't do anything with it, and the effort I have made to place it never enters the history. I now tend to keep a copy of the code, so that if the new finder hasn't held off with their log, I can try and contact them to delete their log, so I can grabit/placeit etc. before they re-create their log. I always ask this of them nicely and explain why, and it is generally not a problem.

When I was a newbie I was too keen to log a trackable once (even though I held back for nearly 2 days), and I received a rude email from the previous holder and so-called experienced cacher, who also grabbed it back, placed it again with a rude log, and generally mucked up the history. I deleted my log and politely invited them to do the same for the sake of the game and the trackable's owner's sake, so that we could redo the logs in order.

Viola! That's etiquette!

I seek the collectives wisdom please.

I went off to a newly published cache this morning, was the 4th or 5th to sign the log. As is routine I logged the visit on the geocaching site via c:geo on my phone and moved on. I note now that one of the subsequent visitors is chiding me for not delaying my on line posting until after the FTF cacher had posted theirs. Being relatively new to this could one of the grey beards enlighten to the the etiquette of the situation please.

The following should be noted:

The First to find and sign the log has, as of 15 hours later still not logged their find and c:geo does not automatically update the caches on line logs, you simply log directly from the app.

I find this an interesting situation, not only for the above but also for the practise mentioned by another cacher of delaying logging your FTFs to "make it more exciting" for subsequent cachers who have their hopes raised only to then have them dashed on reading the cache log. My feeling is that I would far rather know the actual status of the cache rather than rush off only to find someone has beaten me to it and not told anyone about it.

You can log the cache as soon as you wish. If anyone tells you different I would like to have a chat with them. It would be best to mention that you are first to log but not FTF, primarily so the cache owner doesn't assume you were first and congratulates you as such.

Some good comments. I usually wait a while to give FTF the chance to log first. I whole heartedly agree with the travel bugs - I hate it when someone grabs it before I have logged it in - some times I grab it back and place it int eh cache and let them figure out what to do - ie retrieve it from the cache - I try carefully not to be rude of leave snide comments!

Sometimes if I get a FTF late at might or 2am for example, I also hold of logging it as it does give other cachers the incentive to g and get it - good example Edkins mapping cache - I did not think I would be in time for and FTF but I went to do it with urgency because it had not been logged yet. When I found it I was about the 4th! If I had seen the logs I would not have gone when I did and so I might still not have done it! SO I don't mind that. But it the cache is already old (6 hours plus) and there was plenty of time to find it in "normal" hours I appreciate a prompt log so that I do not kill myself to try for and FTF if I have seen the notification late.

So it is highly dependant on the situation. I still think I would not log a 2am FTF the moment I got home - but it depends on how I feel at the time I suppose.

I agree it is also good form to mention that you were not the FTF if you are logging first.

Just enjoy!

Trev

There are no rules on this that I am aware of. My personal view is that I like to let at least ONE of the FTFs log before I log but that is me. It is a game and we are supposed to have fun - so just do that - have fun!

One of my caching mates says he ALWAYS delays his FTF log so that he does not delay those racing for a possible FTF - he loves the humour in that - excellent - as I said - it's fun and we can make whatever fun we like out of it.

One of the things that often catches out many folk here (and me several times) is that I forget to correct the date, and log seemingly the day before publishing. That is a problem for us folk in Africa being several hours ahead of the Geocaching servers.

Enjoy your caching!

(Definitely a greybeard!) :laughing:

Edited by Zambesiboy

There are no rules on this that I am aware of. My personal view is that I like to let at least ONE of the FTFs log before I log but that is me. It is a game and we are supposed to have fun - so just do that - have fun!

One of my caching mates says he ALWAYS delays his FTF log so that he does not delay those racing for a possible FTF - he loves the humour in that - excellent - as I said - it's fun and we can make whatever fun we like out of it.

One of the things that often catches out many folk here (and me several times) is that I forget to correct the date, and log seemingly the day before publishing. That is a problem for us folk in Africa being several hours ahead of the Geocaching servers.

Enjoy your caching!

(Definitely a greybeard!) :laughing:

You think it's fun to mislead people into thinking that they have the chance to be FTF? Do people have no concept of simply going out and finding a cache?

Seriously? No really, Seriously?

Just for interest, a log on a cache we did earlier this year, where we were FTF.

Pity that you see the FTF is still there, go for it and found that the

Log has been singed 4 days a go, why is it not logged so that

Chachers don’t waste their time, money and diesel which is not

Cheap

We were in a remote area without internet or cell phone reception.

So one can also see the other side of the story here.

Just for interest, a log on a cache we did earlier this year, where we were FTF.

Chachers don’t waste their time, money and diesel which is not

Cheap

Being in a remote area without access would be one thing. Pretending for fun would be another.

Chachers don't waste their time, money and diesel which is not

Cheap

I have been to a few caches where there was no internet logs yet but when I arrive the cache was visited by more than one person, some of the written logs a few days old already.It really did not bother me though. Im not going to hunt a FTF cache over more kilometers than my budget would allow anyway, and im doing it for the fun, so if someone beat me to the punch and did not log yet, (intentionally or not) I wont mind because if I dont have the time/budget to waste on hunting a FTF, I wont do it....

On a previous FTF hunt near Knysna, I set out to get it, no internet logs yet after a few days after the listing was published , but when I got there, you, CownChicken claimed it already. (others also found it before me) Although I was disappointing in not getting the FTF, I still had a great time finding the cache and did not see it as wasted effort / time / money.

On a more recent trip to Ramsgate, I discovered a cache listing of about 8 days old with no internet logs yet. I thought there could be no way but set out anyway and low and behold, still got the FTF.

Isnt that part of hunting the FTF? getting there and not knowing if you really are the first or if someone beat you until you open the logbook? If you got every FTF you set out to hunt... I suppose it would soon become just another cache, and the FTF would lose its "value"

oh, and I tend to wait for the FTF to log before I log my find even if it takes a couple of days.

Deliberately misleading others by holding off on your FTF log is just plain nasty...

Quoted from a log to which I fully agree:

I wish that all FTF cachers would be so considerate as it then let's the FTF Chaser know that there is no need to rush unnecessarily

On the other side, when I'm not lucky enough to get there first, I normally I give the FTF a few few hours to log first, otherwise I just log that I was not FTF.

I personally don't mind not being the first to log when I'm FTF, and I normally don't go out of my way to ensure that the cacher who were FTF logs first. I am very particular about logging my caches in the order I find them, so waiting for a FTF to log will just hold me up indefinitely. I reckon that if it's important for someone to be the first to log when they're the FTF, the onus is on them to do a speedy log.

I personally don't mind not being the first to log when I'm FTF, and I normally don't go out of my way to ensure that the cacher who were FTF logs first. I am very particular about logging my caches in the order I find them, so waiting for a FTF to log will just hold me up indefinitely. I reckon that if it's important for someone to be the first to log when they're the FTF, the onus is on them to do a speedy log.

Couldn't agree more.

I'll also give the FTF finder a few ours (around 4) to log their find first. For me to wait longer is not really required. And what does it matter. As soon as there are 5 logs, you wont see the 1st one in any case any more with the current web site.

Agree with Jors. If you Deliberately mislead others it is wrong.

Once place though it would mislead us, is with the stats we do for SA caching. But to date nobody has asked nor wanted to know who has done the most FTFs etc etc. Bottom line, those stats will never be (reliably) known.

Couldn't agree more.

I agree too, fortunately we cache with the iPad handy, and log the FTF as we get it, which firstly gets us the first log registered, and secondly let's others know it has been found.

If we didn't log it straight away, wouldn't be that stressed that someone else gets it logged before us

Once place though it would mislead us, is with the stats we do for SA caching. But to date nobody has asked nor wanted to know who has done the most FTFs etc etc. Bottom line, those stats will never be (reliably) known.

This is the only issue I could think of. I've recently downloaded GSAK and don't know it well, would a cacher "lose" an FTF in GSAK if they logged it 2nd?

Personally I'm not too worried, I manage my FTF's with a bookmark list, pretty sure anyone else could do the same.

This is the only issue I could think of. I've recently downloaded GSAK and don't know it well, would a cacher "lose" an FTF in GSAK if they logged it 2nd?

Personally I'm not too worried, I manage my FTF's with a bookmark list, pretty sure anyone else could do the same.

GSAK has an FTF column.

You First To Find a cache, you manually mark it in GSAK as FTF.

Doesn't matter how many log it before you log, it's shows in GSAK stats as your FTF

GSAK has an FTF column.

Doesn't matter how many log it before you log, it's shows in GSAK stats as your FTF

Thanks, that answers that question. Seems this whole thing has just happened because someone got touchy over a non-issue.

GSAK has an FTF column.

Thanks, that answers that question. Seems this whole thing has just happened because someone got touchy over a non-issue.

There is allot of that in this game.

GSAK has an FTF column.

Now lets wait for someone to tell us its really important...

GSAK has an FTF column.

Now lets wait for someone to tell us its really important...

But it IS really important.

Isn't it? :unsure:

:lol:

I have 4 FTF's to log from ages ago... But i log in sequence and I have other issues that have been far more important than logging a find... Never mind a FTF. And i still have about 400 logs to go before i log that FTF... at this rate I think that least one of them caches will be archived by the time I log my FTF.... So what does one do... well even a few days later I was not seeing logs... So I just posted a note... two of them caches were only logged second to find days later... seemed nobody was out to chase the FTF's on them... and that in JHB... The fact remains, I got the FTF, and it will be in my log as such, My note states i have found it too, anyone who doesn't see it in the notes is sure gonna find out on the logsheet...

So if you got a hell of a lot to log, and do a FTF, drop a note as a simple sign that it has been found.... <_<